Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas, Oklahoma to the Pac-12? Sooner than we think?

Texas, Oklahoma to the Pac-12? Sooner than we think?

I just heard a rumor via Boston Market, that the schools mentioned above are back in negotiations with the big east. If those schools leave expect Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech to the Pac-12 and possibly Baylor, because the Aggies would move to the SEC.

Exactly what schools are trying to get into the Big East?

Addition by Subtraction.............

I have no new information, but the schools not courted by the Pac-X previously need to be looking for a home if Texas bolts the Big 12. That would be Kansas, K-State and Baylor. TaMU has had a lean to the SEC.................

Quote Originally Posted by CalBearsWinNC View Post
    I just heard a rumor via Boston Market, that the schools mentioned above are back in negotiations with the big east. If those schools leave expect Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech to the Pac-12 and possibly Baylor, because the Aggies would move to the SEC.
    Would never be Baylor, more likely Oklahoma St.

The Big 12 as its currently formed is untenable IMO. In addition, there really aren't any schools they could add that would add $ that are realistic targets (Arkansas is the best bet but why would they want to move?) .

I think its inevitable that 1 of 2 things happens, Scenario A listed above or Scenario B, Texas goes independent and Zero U goes to the SEC or Pac10

Just my opinion

I don't think we should take them, if the opportunity ever arose.

Texas has proven itself an unworthy partner (partner = key word. Although our teams compete on the field, the bigger picture is the schools are business partners), and I don't believe UT can be trusted to work toward the greater good with its partners. Likewise, there's nothing that binds our schools geographically, culturally or in any other way. Partnerships formed in this manner often are short lived because that lack of commonality manifests itself in differing priorities, objectives, etc.

I can envision scenarios in which the Pac 16 would merely be a temporary landing place until the Tx/OK quartet found a better situation...and that better situation could be really problematic for our league. Hypothetically, one could imagine them being in the league long enough to make connections with the Zona and MT schools and making a play for them (and maybe even LA schools). The WA, OR and NoCal schools would be screwed if any variation of that transpired.

I say just let the Big12 die and let the Tx/OK contingent hang out there, trying to make it as independents. They had their chance, screw them.

Texass & Oklahoma can move to the Mountain West Conference.
    We don't need them.

Texas has proven itself an unworthy partner (partner = key word. Although our teams compete on the field, the bigger picture is the schools are business partners), and I don't believe UT can be trusted to work toward the greater good with its partners.
    It would be awesome if all the major conferences just boycotted Texas for the above reason. Honestly, I think they would join the English Premier League if they thought more money could be made from it.

I know that people don't like the fact that OU, Texas, and Texas A&M get a disproportionate share of Big12 TV revenues - but don't we have a similar set up here in the Pac10 (12)?

Quote Originally Posted by BGolden View Post
    Texass & Oklahoma can move to the Mountain West Conference.
    We don't need them.
    Yeah, adding several million $ a year to the athletic departments because of increased TV revenue wouldn't help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Utexbear2 View Post
    Yeah, adding several million $ a year to the athletic departments because of increased TV revenue wouldn't help at all.
    Of course it would. Wyoming, New Mexico and Colorado State could all use the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Utexbear2 View Post
    Yes. Of course we would ultimately take TX, OK, OKSt, TT. I am just curious what Larry Scott's negotiating posture will be.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila4kapp View Post
    I don't think we should take them, if the opportunity ever arose.

Texas has proven itself an unworthy partner (partner = key word. Although our teams compete on the field, the bigger picture is the schools are business partners), and I don't believe UT can be trusted to work toward the greater good with its partners. Likewise, there's nothing that binds our schools geographically, culturally or in any other way. Partnerships formed in this manner often are short lived because that lack of commonality manifests itself in differing priorities, objectives, etc.

I can envision scenarios in which the Pac 16 would merely be a temporary landing place until the Tx/OK quartet found a better situation...and that better situation could be really problematic for our league. Hypothetically, one could imagine them being in the league long enough to make connections with the Zona and MT schools and making a play for them (and maybe even LA schools). The WA, OR and NoCal schools would be screwed if any variation of that transpired.

I say just let the Big12 die and let the Tx/OK contingent hang out there, trying to make it as independents. They had their chance, screw them.
    Texas has proven to be an unworthy partner because they are trying to do what's in the best interest of their university? I have to question what some of the posters on this board know about what does/doesn't make a worthy business partner. Here's a start, a worthy business partner has tons of money, a highly recognizable brand name, and a consistent stream of clients that keep said partner afloat during the bad times. Check, check, and check.
    I realize some people are butt-hurt over the fact that the negotiations didn't exactly work out as envisioned -- welcome to the real world.
    The fact is, Texas and Oklahoma would drastically increase the amount of revenues our beleaguered athletic department would get to take home.

Yes, they had their chance, and they'll have another. As long as Texas and Oklahoma continue to consistently draw well on TV, pack their stadiums, and travel all over the country they will always have a monetary appeal. If the pac 12/16 doesn't capitalize on this opportunity, you better believe your ass somebody else will. Acquiring Texas and Oklahoma -- especially with pac 12 media contracts coming up -- would be an excellent move with immediate pay-off for the pac 12. If you honestly think Texas and Oklahoma would ever be forced to 'make it as independents' you aren't looking at this from a realistic business perspective.
    Bottom line: These two schools would significantly boost conference revenue. I just hope Larry Scott and company do what they need to do.
    Last edited by Holmoephobic; 12-21-2010 at 09:19 AM.

is anyone else completely indifferent with regard to what texas does at this point? the big12 can keep at this point.

I have to question what some of the posters on this board know about what does/doesn't make a worthy business partner.

Since its merger with Time Warner in 2001, the value of AOL has dropped significantly from its $240 billion high. Its subscriber base has seen no quarterly growth since 2002.

I don't think the cultures of Texas and the Pac12 are compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by BGolden View Post
    I have to question what some of the posters on this board know about what does/doesn't make a worthy business partner.

Since its merger with Time Warner in 2001, the value of AOL has dropped significantly from its $240 billion high. Its subscriber base has seen no quarterly growth since 2002.

I don't think the cultures of Texas and the Pac12 are compatible.
    I would argue that the culture of the University of Texas at Austin (not necessarily every corner of the state of Texas) fits MUCH better with our's than do ASU and UofA.