Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UConn women = UCLA men's 88 win streak?

UConn women = UCLA men's 88 win streak?

So how do you see UConn women's streak of 88 wins compared to UCLA men's streak of 88 wins? Equal or more/less remarkable? Of course they were done in different decades and the game has changed so much over the years.

Women's basketball is a different sport. I don't think they should be compared at all.

This is a great streak by the UCONN women, that in no way should be compared to men's streaks. Different games.

Yukon women streak is more like the Globetrotter's streak.

SacCityBear
    If the NCAA was just, there would no record of UCLA's winning streak on the books.
    So, yeah, unless UCONN Women's Basketball has a Sam Gilbert behind the scenes, there is no comparison.
    Clean > Dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by SacCityBear View Post
    If the NCAA was just, there would no record of UCLA's winning streak on the books.
    So, yeah, unless UCONN Women's Basketball has a Sam Gilbert behind the scenes, there is no comparison.
    Clean > Dirty.
    I knew someone was going to to there. It must suck to be a UCLA fan right now. Lose to Montana. Plus deal with all these annoying comparisons to Uconn. I swear ESPN must own the rights to these Uconn games. Pumping them more than an SEC football game.

Men's College BB is not Women's College BB. You wouldn't compare an NBA team's record/accomplishments with a college team. UConn's 89 wins in a row is awesome to be sure, but they're different sports. Had the UConn women played men's teams during that streak, they'd of lost 89 in a row.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Les Richter (October 26, 1930 June 12, 2010)
    University of California All-America 1951

SacCityBear
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SacCityBear View Post
    Clean > Dirty.
    I knew someone was going to to there.
    It had to be done. I refuse to let anyone talk about UCLA Basketball in that period or UCLA's Basketball tradition without mentioning Sam Gilbert.

No way can you compare the two. UCONN doesn't have to deal with early entry to the WNBA. Imagine the men's game with everyone staying all four years. It is impressive for the women's game, but no way comparable.

UCLA didn't have to deal with early entry to the NBA either - that reasoning is irrational. Of course it's a comparable accomplishment. When UCLA had its streak the number of competitive men's basketball programs was much smaller than it is now, in a range that the women's game is in now. UConn is playing the best teams in Division I, has won the championships, has done the travel, has faced the pressure, and their accomplishment is remarkable. It doesn't matter whether a women's team could beat a men's team any more than it matters if a female winner at Wimbledon could beat the men's champ. It's completely comparable.

And yeah, UConn is cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesaxe View Post
    UCLA didn't have to deal with early entry to the NBA either - that reasoning is irrational. Of course it's a comparable accomplishment. When UCLA had its streak the number of competitive men's basketball programs was much smaller than it is now, in a range that the women's game is in now. UConn is playing the best teams in Division I, has won the championships, has done the travel, has faced the pressure, and their accomplishment is remarkable. It doesn't matter whether a women's team could beat a men's team any more than it matters if a female winner at Wimbledon could beat the men's champ. It's completely comparable.

And yeah, UConn is cleaner.
    Agree with most of what you said. But the bottom line is, Men's College Basketball is a different sport than Women's College Basketball. Just like the NBA is different than college hoops; the NFL is different than college football, etc. There's a reason the 49ers don't play Cal, and the Lakers don't play USC; just like there's a reason the UConn women don't play the Duke, North Carolina, or American River College men's teams.

Different sports. Not remotely comparable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Les Richter (October 26, 1930 June 12, 2010)
    University of California All-America 1951

Its not comparable because they are different sports. If you want to banter about whether great accomplishments in one sport is better than another fine but you might as well talk about softball versus baseball.

I was watching a girls HS game, when I started to wonder how they could shoot free throw after free throw when NBA professionals struggled mightily. Then I got it. Smaller ball!

Different game altogether.