I've been to a lot of Cal sporting events (over 30 years worth), but that had to be the worst group of visiting fans I've ever encountered. I expected a lot more from such a "storied" program. Let me preface this by saying that I have no problem with the KU team itself. Obviously Selby is a stud, and is probably the best freshman I've seen in person since Kidd. And I don't quite blame the KU players for getting a bit feisty....cause we are talking about college aged kids, and it was an extremely physical game.
HOWEVER, the KU fans were absolutely classless.
1. Booing Jorge??!? Really? Jorge is the bad guy here? After a KU player is ejected, and after 3 technical fouls on KU players, the KU fans have the gumption to boo Jorge. (for the record, every Cal radio announcer during postgame said that Jorge did nothing in the scrum to deserve a T, and it appeared he was getting gouged in the eyes). Something I'm sure the homer KU fans will choose to ignore.
2. KU fans acting like obnoxious D-bags throughout the game. I saw one KU couple who would turn around and taunt the Cal fans sitting behind them after every made basket by Kansas. Literally, every made basket.
3. KU fans taunting Cal fans while leaving the game. I saw one incident where these college aged KU fans were waving their arms in front of a Cal elderly couple and yelling at them. After the game, outside of Haas, the KU fans were yelling and taunting like they'd won the super bowl. I mean, this is Kansas we're talking about right? One of the most storied college programs in the history of college basketball. Please act like you've been there before. You just beat a 6-5 team, congrats!
4. KU fans (both at the game and on their forums) whining that the Cal team are full of a bunch of thugs and their players are angels. While I admit that Jorge and Kamp can get under people's skins, the KU players were far from blameless.
5. I heard not one, but several racist comments from KU fans, directly aimed at Jorge. illegal immigrant, go back to mexico, chink (they can't even get their racist comments right) un-american, etc.
I guess the reason I'm so disappointed with KU fans is because I expected a lot more. UCLA fans I expect arrogance. SC fans I expect a certain degree of doucheyness. Oregon fans I expect just plain stupidity and thuggishness. but KU fans were amazingly able to combine all 3. Its just surprising. I've been to Tennessee, where they treated everyone in my party with amazing hospitality. When Nebraska came to Berkeley awhile back, they kicked our ass, cheered their hearts out, and then congratulated us with a game well played once the game ended. I guess in my mind, storied programs are supposed to act like they've been there before. But I guess Kansas is a different story. I suppose that's what happens with success. You get a lot of bandwagon fans who may not have even graduated from KU. Or you get a lot of backwater simpletons who don't know that life exists outside of basketball and lawrence, KS.