Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cal recruiting

Cal recruiting

As some of you may know, the 2013 class in Northern Cal is loaded. We've all heard about Gordon at Mitty, Bird at Salesian, and Domingo at St. Ignatious. Let me add two sleepers that I heard about at the MLK. And they are 6'4" Noah Allen of Palma. Palma is a really good team this year but no one knows them including me. They seem to play out of range for everyone.

The other is 6'8" Marcus Lee of Deer Valley in Antioch. A power forward. I don't think we have had this much talent in Northern Cal in one class for a long time. I have not seen either of these two play.

If you live near one of these towns. Let us know what you thought.

Thanks for the info.

Somewhat related for HS fans...Castro Valley and O'Dowd tonight at Chabot College. Apparently it's already sold out, but will be televised.

I ran into a high school game last night on

comcast 104. It was a replay of St. Joe's upsetting Salesian at Salesian. And this was with Bird. Wonder if that is the same station.

In the old days. All the BOD and St. Joe games were played at college gyms. Until they out grew that and moved to the Oakland Arena. When Kidd played there would be 11 to 12 thousand there.

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    As some of you may know, the 2013 class in Northern Cal is loaded. We've all heard about Gordon at Mitty, Bird at Salesian, and Domingo at St. Ignatious. Let me add two sleepers that I heard about at the MLK. And they are 6'4" Noah Allen of Palma. Palma is a really good team this year but no one knows them including me. They seem to play out of range for everyone.

The other is 6'8" Marcus Lee of Deer Valley in Antioch. A power forward. I don't think we have had this much talent in Northern Cal in one class for a long time. I have not seen either of these two play.

Agreed the 2013 NorCal class looks to be the best in years. Sacramento has some good prospects too, like PG Ike Iroegbu:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ikenna-iroegbu

From ESPN, Allen sounds similar to Rossi but they compare him to Tyler Lamb:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...727/noah-allen

Marcus Lee:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...077/marcus-lee

It sucks that it is difficult for Monty to land Northern Cali stars.

Well Bird, Domingo and Gordon have us on their list

It is early but I think if we play well the next two years we might get some.

It is early but I think if we play well the next two years we might get some.
    If we play well, it should allow the Bears to at least recruit with St. Mary's.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMARIN View Post
    St. Mary's doesn't do that well locally.

But we can send our newspaper clips to

Australia. That should hlep.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMARIN View Post
    LOL. St. Mary's has one of the best evaluators in the college game in Randy Bennett. That's the entire reason they're good every year. They don't "recruit" on a PAC-10 or high major level. I mean, what PAC-10 teams wanted Omar Samhan, Mickey McConnell, Stephen Holt, and Rob Jones out of HS?

Bluescriptcal UCSB's star player is Orlando Johnson, a 6'5" SG from Palma.

http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m...orlando00.html

Palma is a Jesuit boys school located in Salinas. They draw players from Monterey & Seaside along the coast but inland, too, from Salinas & Hollister.
    Orlando Johnson is only a junior & is averaging approximately 20 ppg & 6.5 rpg. He scored 20 (approximately 40% of the Gaucho's points) against Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament in a 68-51 loss as a sophomore. Cal missed on this kid from Palma.
    http://ucsbgauchos.cstv.com/sports/m.../teamcume.html

Three of the top five recruits for 2013 are from the CCS: Aaron Gordon (Mitty), Stephen Domingo (SI) & Noah Allen (Palma). GO BEARS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Schroeder71; 01-28-2011 at 06:47 PM.

You consider Palma CCS.

I think of it as further down. who plays in their conference? Are Seaside and Santa Cruz in their conference.?

I think of it as further down. who plays in their conference? Are Seaside and Santa Cruz in their conference.?
    No, Palma plays in the Tri-County league. Seaside and Santa Cruz are in separate leagues also.

Re. Palma

Palma plays in the Tri-County league. The other teams are Salinas, Gilroy, San Benito, Alvarez, North Salinas, and Alisal.

Santa Cruz plays in the Harbor league with mostly Santa Cruz County teams.

The longtime coach at Palma was Ron Critchfield ( Russ's brother) I think he retired a few years ago.

My son played in the Palma Tournament one year and stayed at the home of a Palma player whose dad played for Chaminade in the historic upset of Virginia with Ralph Sampson. He brought out the game film and regaled everyone with stories. Highlight of his trip.

Quote Originally Posted by RichmondBear View Post

Santa Cruz plays in the Harbor league with mostly Santa Cruz County teams.

Actually, it's the Santa Cruz Coast league which includes Santa Cruz (my alma mater), Harbor , Soquel , Aptos , Scotts Valley, San Lorenzo Valley and St. Francis. Santa Cruz was coached by Pete Newell's son until he recently retired (also my Civics teacher in 1986).