Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: De'Anthony Thomas Decommits from Troy

Quote Originally Posted by elpbear View Post
    Bellotti, the Oregon offense doesn't exactly prominently feature WR's. If someone were to mention that a Pro-style QB wouldn't want to go to Oregon because it's not a good fit, would you scoff at that too?

Now, if he wants to be more of an ATH or RB, that makes more sense, but acting like CK's offense is a great place for player who wants to star as a WR is a bit silly.
    Oregon's offense has favored the run ever since Chip Kelly arrived. But in 2007 with Dennis Dixon, Oregon slung the ball around all over the place - and not just the short stuff either. The reality is that Oregon's passing game has been sub-par since Dixon was lost, and Masoli was installed. But under Thomas, there are clear signs that Oregon is getting back to the 2007 balance between run and pass - and the WRs were definitely more involved and productive this past season then they were the season prior.

All of that said, the Oregon offense absolutely prominently features guys that are undersized by traditional football standards, but that have outstanding speed. Thomas certainly fits the bill there. Whether or not you call him a WR or an RB, he's exactly the type of player that thrives in the Chip Kelly offense.

And no, I probably wouldn't scoff at a pro-style QB not wanting to come to Oregon...

I haven't seen anything concerning the potential decommitment of Mamba on the recruiting sites (e.g., Rivals and ESPN), but I have not made anything near an exhaustive search. Is there anything out there about this, or is it just on the Cal, UO and USC Boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
    Is this the same guy...
    yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
    I haven't seen anything concerning the potential decommitment of Mamba on the recruiting sites (e.g., Rivals and ESPN), but I have not made anything near an exhaustive search. Is there anything out there about this, or is it just on the Cal, UO and USC Boards?
    Nothing official at this point. Oregon Scout mod started sending big hints on Saturday about a surprise, and after that Thomas' name was released by USC and Oregon 247 sites. What is confirmed is that Thomas was in Eugene this weekend. What is not, is that he committed to Oregon already. USC mods are pretty sure he's listening to the Oregon pitch and seriously considering it, but they have no word he has decommitted from USC.

Quote Originally Posted by BellottiBold View Post
    Nothing official at this point. Oregon Scout mod started sending big hints on Saturday about a surprise, and after that Thomas' name was released by USC and Oregon 247 sites. What is confirmed is that Thomas was in Eugene this weekend. What is not, is that he committed to Oregon already. USC mods are pretty sure he's listening to the Oregon pitch and seriously considering it, but they have no word he has decommitted from USC.
    Belloti Bold do you think a Thomas switch to Oregon would help you guys when it comes to getting Lee as well?

It would be silly of me to say something like "absolutely not" but I have to say that if we do get Thomas this late, adding a WR/CB to a class with 4 committed WRs, it's tough for me to imagine Lee also being a Duck.

Don't get me wrong - he's an uber talented athlete and I would love to have him. I just can't help but feel that our last few spots need to go to the DL. That said, the coaches could be convinced that he's a "must take" if he decides he wants the spot that was offered to him.

Quote Originally Posted by BearEssentials View Post
    Belloti Bold do you think a Thomas switch to Oregon would help you guys when it comes to getting Lee as well?
    what does Thomas going to Oregon have anything to do with them having an easier time getting Lee?

if anything, Lee affirms his position to go to $c or wherever else he is leaning (hopefully us). besides, it's not like Lee has any HS teammates going to Oregon, nor does he have any connection to Thomas. and idk what position oregon is recruiting thomas for (DB, WR, or RB as he says he wants to play?), but if he's going as a WR, even more of an incentive for Lee NOT to join Oregon.
    Last edited by beeasyed; 01-31-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beeasyed View Post
    as far as i'm concerned, if the recruit are not coming to Cal, then i couldnt care less if they come to the pac12 or not. in fact, i'd prefer that they didn't. why boost up other teams who play against us?
    yeah, but i just enjoy watching/reading toejam fans going crazy and having meltdowns. it was high humor watching them attack each other and getting lathered up. of course, it happens here as well, but it's so much more fun when it's at wearedbags.

Bellotti Bold, a couple of questions and comments regarding Thomas going to Oregon:

1. Rumor is he would play TB for the Ducks rather than CB and this was part of the reason he is joining your program.

2. Assuming that he will play TB than his size could become much more of an issue. One of the things that makes LaMichael James so great is that he is fearless running up the middle and also very strong and tough.

3. Thomas appears to be extremely small and light at this time and so I wonder about his ability to take the pounding of college ball used in this manner. In Jahvid Best's first season he probably weighed about 185 and he suffered a serious hip injury in the USC game and was out the rest of the year. At that weight he was significantly above Thomas's currently advertised weight.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post
    cal has a far better potential than oregon. most kids want to stay in state. every study has proven location is by far the #1 factor in recruits decision making.
    omg, we agree on something. much less worried about oregon long term than SC. cal has the best "potential" to dominate a pac12 north division. location in CA, better degree, better city/area, better weather, etc.

people will figure out kelly sooner or later. i'm much less concerned of dominant offenses than i am of dominant defenses (meyer's florida versus saban's alabama or carroll's sc).

i want DAT to go to oregon only b/c it hurts $C more than it helps oregon. this guy is $C's number one recruit and has been a $C fan since childhood. supposedly, even has a $C tattoo (which would be hilarious/ridiculous if true). if he goes to oregon in the last minute, it would really be a bad sign for $C's recruting image and kiffin's ability to get top talent.

no bear
    exhibit A is the fact that ours and oregon's classes are virtually identical in quality despite them having their best year ever and ours our worse in 10 years.

exhibit A is the fact that ours and oregon's classes are virtually identical in quality despite them having their best year ever and ours our worse in 10 years.
    The trick is to actually do something with those recruiting classes. I think it's been shown a couple times that Cal and Oregon have had comparable recruiting classes over the years but Cal continues to perform below expectations.

no bear
    no question about it.

And exhibit B is the fact that our recruiting classes haven't corresponded with the our success -- or lack there of -- on the football field.

Quote Originally Posted by beeasyed View Post
    what does Thomas going to Oregon have anything to do with them having an easier time getting Lee?

if anything, Lee affirms his position to go to $c or wherever else he is leaning (hopefully us). besides, it's not like Lee has any HS teammates going to Oregon, nor does he have any connection to Thomas. and idk what position oregon is recruiting thomas for (DB, WR, or RB as he says he wants to play?), but if he's going as a WR, even more of an incentive for Lee NOT to join Oregon.
    Not true at all. Lee is obviously not scared of competition when it comes to selecting his school. So Im not really worried about that. I think Lee would still be considering joining Oregon or Cal because they our both in his final three. And after seeing how USC commits like Thomas our deciding to abandon ship right before signing day might make a player like Lee start to speculate. And once you start making speculations at a place like USC it can get messy fast when you think about all the sanctions still up in the air, a long list of 4* and 5* recruits looking for playing time on the roster, and having to play 25% of your career without a bowl game.

I see it like the stock market. Thomas has(had) a lot of share (his football/academic career) invested @ SC. But now that Thomas is aware of the realities at USC as signing day nears, he now knows that USC's stock is going down fast. Now that Thomas is aware of this, he is dropping his stock at USC before its too late to sell. I am sure uncommitted Lee is taking note of this and is now considering Cal and Oregon. I also had no clue that Thomas was trying to play WR @ Oregon. I thought he was a CB/RB who could maybe play some slot?
    Either way Im not gonna play with fire. I like where we stand right now when it comes to signing day. I have also noticed the board is starting to turn down the speculation as signing day gets near. So I am gonna take note. Its time to sit back and relax, and enjoy the festivities! Go Bears, and good luck to all the recruits with their decisions!
    Last edited by BearEssentials; 01-31-2011 at 12:29 PM.