Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Game, Great effort but...

Great Game, Great effort but...

Awful result. The Bears have a lot to be proud of for the effort tonight. But this result likely kills any realistic shot at the NCAA tourney. They played hard and made lots of great plays but just couldn't close. Arizona made tons of plays as well.

This was as good a game as you could ever hope to watch, but someone had to win and Arizona's depth, 3pt shooting and FT shooting was the difference.
    Now the Bears just need to finish as strong as possible and hope to win the Pac 10 tourney. Kamp and Crabbe were great as was Jorge before he fouled out. But the Cats have too many guys. Jones was great for Arizona, but Parrom was huge as well.

Great game but the result really stings.

Hasn't killed us, but the room for error just got smaller, I honestly don't believe we can do it, it's too tight, can only lose one more.

There's always the pac-10 tourney; Monty hates it but it might be our only chance. We could do damage if we made it, it's really a shame that we likely won't go.

This result kills a shot in the Tourney? Umm no. We need to go 5-1 and win 1 game in the P10 tourney..imho gets us in..thats just me. So we gotta split Washington, Win LA's @ home, Win Oregons on the Road. Not impossible. But hey..take it 1 game at a time..and enjoy this season. We win..great if not..fine. This team is awesome.

Agreed. Though the ultimate result sucks, there is a lot to be proud of with tonight's game. As you note, depth in a 55 minute game, 3 point shooting and FT shooting (at the end of regulation and in the OTs) were the difference.

I love this team. It is a case where the sum is greater than the value of the individual parts. Loved the way Crabbe played in the last 20 minutes. Jorge was awesome. Smith had a huge 3 and I don't remember him having any turnovers in the second half or OTs. Other than a couple missed FTs and the charge call, Kamp played well, as usual. Was happy with the two nice blocks and important rebound put pack by Solomon, who earned great position under the bucket.

This loss hurts, mostly due to the damage to our NCAA tourney chances but also because we had it in our hands on at least a couple occasions. Credit to Arizona as they played well. Much credit to our lads as well.

Go Bears!

We can lose 2 more, and still get 18 wins, and that's before the Pac-10 tournament, where we are apt to get at least one win...

I am very proud of this team.
    The University of California - One of the finest universities in the world, is the oldest public university in our great state with origins dating back to 1855, and university status granted in 1868. Go Bears!

College Basektball is a hard game to officiate. I know I am biased but I thought there was inconsistency on block/charge calls that went at least 2-1 in U of A's favor. Did that cost us the game, maybe, maybe not. If we make one more free throw in regulation or the 1st 2 OT's then we win the game.

Before the season began I don't htink many of us would have thought thart we would play the 1st place team in the conference two games that were this lose. We need to take from this game that we can beat anybody in the conference and finish strong.

The Glass is Half Full

...and in no small part because of Mike Montgomery. Really, I'm very enthusiastic about the job that Montgomery and staff has done with developing this team. IIRC, the Pac-10 writers have Cal pegged at 7th place for the 2010-2011 season, and thus far, Cal has performed above expectations. I think that Cal will continue to perform above expectations.

Tonight's performance was of a team that played with grit, determination, and put their skills to the test. That they came up short is not an indictment: it's a reason to keep plugging away.

When Monty was coaching Stanf*rd he was a SOB. Now that he's with Cal, he's our SOB. I'll take whatever result because this team plays with guts, fire, and will leave it all on the court.

Pac 10 officiating is always widely inconsistent....but always consistently poor.
    Our lack of depth killed us tonight. Arizona was throwing fresh players into the mix the entire game.

Hear, hear.

The officiating sucks, more call for blocking going against Cal, the one against Jorge, should have been a charge. The refs seemed lost out there at times.

somewhat interesting but not so fun when you think about it fact of the day: their bench outscored our bench by the same margin that we beat UC davis in football
    Last edited by ianbearnson; 02-05-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianbearnson View Post
    fun fact of the day: their bench outscored our bench by the same margin that we beat UC davis in football

Somehow, I don't find that fact very fun. hah.

Quote Originally Posted by MinotStateBeav View Post
    Somehow, I don't find that fact very fun. hah.
    changed

Quote Originally Posted by grrrah76 View Post
    Pac 10 officiating is always widely inconsistent....but always consistently poor.
    Our lack of depth killed us tonight. Arizona was throwing fresh players into the mix the entire game.
    We've been wondering when our lack of depth would come back to haunt us and it did last night. To be that close to victory being outscored by thier bench 52-3 was amazing. Tremendous heart and determination

I know that we all would like to go to the dance but this team will be in some sort of postseason tournament and the extra experience/practice time will be beneficial.

pretty unbelievable that their bench scored that many points.