Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training Report 3/3

Training Report 3/3

happy Friday everyone,

hope you all had a good thurs and fri. let's get down to business:

-first off- Tevin was back running yesterday and looked to be roughly 80% out there. source confirmed that his knee is fine and no structural damage or sprain. team was just being overcautious and rightfully so. Looked really good yesterday and made play after play on the ball. He goes up and gets the ball better than any other receiver we have. as for the other receivers, Kaelin looked fast as ever and was blowing past the DBs the entire workout. these two young future WRs just keep on impressing.

-QB play was decent. Brock was back practicing and looked average. again it was Zach and Bridgford who continued to stand out. Zach was firing the ball into tight spaces and was making the deep passes look easy. timing was still a little off with the receivers but it has been getting better and will continue to. Bridg looked like he was in complete control out there and although he was bailed out by the WRs making some plays and tough catches for him, he still looked like our #1 guy.

-Avery had another good workout as well and continued to fly to the ball all day. dropped an easy pick during the team segment right before i left.

-marv jones had a dominating practice catching everything coming his way. his routes have improved tenfold and the separation from the DBs is promising. other WRs were also getting open with good seperation and their routes continue to look better and better. coach Kiesau continues to work wonders on these kids. look for far better production this year from our WRs.

-reason i don't mention Keenan that much is because he is Keenan. the kid looks awesome every practice, catches 95% of balls thrown his way including some that you wouldnt even think he could get to and grab (the other 5% are truly uncatchable). Keenan is a special athlete that i am so glad we have and i cannot wait to see him step it up this year.

-RBs looked good this thurs just as they did on tues. Trey is running around and looking fine but didnt get the ball thrown to him much all day. Manuel is an athlete. the kid can catch, run, and has decent size. Really athletic kid making great catches and has speed that burned and juked many LBs and DBs. Ervin and Isi also had good days making good catches and running around. Isi looked extremely fast yesterday burning multiple DBs on deep routes and juking the living $@#$ out of some guys. He is extremely shifty and quick and was flying around thursday.

-OL and DL crews were looking huge and quick overall. hard to evaluate these guys when they arent hitting and in pads. the little bit of the team segment i got to see was pretty fluid and fast. Speed has really amped up this year compared to past springs. coach B is truly a blessing for this program and i think we will be a lot better in 2011. maybe not top-notch program but teams better watch out.

thanks for stopping by

Good to hear that Marvin is back to form...seemed to regress a bit later in the year but our QB was so bad it was hard to tell...but any WR getting separation is music to my ears....thanks for the update...let's hope we have a awesome Junior's Day tomorrow too....have a great weekend

Quote Originally Posted by kcal9 View Post
    happy Friday everyone,

hope you all had a good thurs and fri. let's get down to business:

-first off- Tevin was back running yesterday and looked to be roughly 80% out there. source confirmed that his knee is fine and no structural damage or sprain. team was just being overcautious and rightfully so. Looked really good yesterday and made play after play on the ball. He goes up and gets the ball better than any other receiver we have. as for the other receivers, Kaelin looked fast as ever and was blowing past the DBs the entire workout. these two young future WRs just keep on impressing.

-QB play was decent. Brock was back practicing and looked average. again it was Zach and Bridgford who continued to stand out. Zach was firing the ball into tight spaces and was making the deep passes look easy. timing was still a little off with the receivers but it has been getting better and will continue to. Bridg looked like he was in complete control out there and although he was bailed out by the WRs making some plays and tough catches for him, he still looked like our #1 guy.

-Avery had another good workout as well and continued to fly to the ball all day. dropped an easy pick during the team segment right before i left.

-marv jones had a dominating practice catching everything coming his way. his routes have improved tenfold and the separation from the DBs is promising. other WRs were also getting open with good seperation and their routes continue to look better and better. coach Kiesau continues to work wonders on these kids. look for far better production this year from our WRs.

-reason i don't mention Keenan that much is because he is Keenan. the kid looks awesome every practice, catches 95% of balls thrown his way including some that you wouldnt even think he could get to and grab (the other 5% are truly uncatchable). Keenan is a special athlete that i am so glad we have and i cannot wait to see him step it up this year.

-RBs looked good this thurs just as they did on tues. Trey is running around and looking fine but didnt get the ball thrown to him much all day. Manuel is an athlete. the kid can catch, run, and has decent size. Really athletic kid making great catches and has speed that burned and juked many LBs and DBs. Ervin and Isi also had good days making good catches and running around. Isi looked extremely fast yesterday burning multiple DBs on deep routes and juking the living $@#$ out of some guys. He is extremely shifty and quick and was flying around thursday.

-OL and DL crews were looking huge and quick overall. hard to evaluate these guys when they arent hitting and in pads. the little bit of the team segment i got to see was pretty fluid and fast. Speed has really amped up this year compared to past springs. coach B is truly a blessing for this program and i think we will be a lot better in 2011. maybe not top-notch program but teams better watch out.

thanks for stopping by

Thanks again!!!!! Any juniors out watching, if that is allowed?

Any idea who the leading 4-5 linebackers were?

Great stuff kcal. Your updates are always appreciated!

I was beginning to wonder why Keenan was never highlighted in your updates haha. Great to hear about Marvin's routes. I was wondering, how has Keenan looked running routes? It seemed like so many of his catches were screens last year (he only averaged 8.7 ypc against D1A teams) and we hardly got to see him get the ball on routes. Part of it was his injury, poor pass protection, plus Riley going down, but some have noted that the WRs struggled to get open last year. Keenan isn't a DJ-like burner, so route running is probably pretty important to his game. I imagine that with his great body control and impressive change of direction skills for a big guy, he'd be pretty good at running routes if he got the right coaching.

Really excited to hear about Tevin and Kaelin too. Gonna be nice to have that extra speed at the WR position.

-Keenan's routes were all crisp and he's doing a great job applying Kiesau's techniques. he has been looking really solid the past few weeks and today it dawned on me that i havent talked much about him probably because i take him for granted sometimes. he's been looking good and his route running is going to help him tremendously this year.

-linebackers seeing the most pt on thurs were: DJ, Kendricks, Davis, Krebs, Forbes, and Cecil.

ohh and i didnt see any juniors out there at all. dont know if they are even allowed to but none were around the training session. probably getting tours of the new facilities and campus if anything

Thanks for the updates! I'm pretty sure you have the best content/post ratio of any poster on the free board
    Strongly abides by the motto: "safety third"

kcal9—you're a gem, man... these reports are outstanding... many thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kcal9 View Post
    -Keenan's routes were all crisp and he's doing a great job applying Kiesau's techniques.
    Thanks for the reports Kcal9, I've been reading them since you started posting on the other site, much appreciated.

Can you elaborate on Kiesau's techniques? What are some of the things our WRs are doing this year that they weren't doing last year?

I was going to ask pretty much the same thing, only to add: isn't it hard to compare routes when they aren't in pads, and not being pounded off the line of scrimmage? Again, if there are fundamentals you know about and have identified that are specific to Kiesau that would be interesting...

Great reporting KCal...keep up the fantastic work!

GO BEARS!

Thought Kiesau is not supposed to work with the players yet?

With all this talk of wide receivers, how are Williams and Anthony looking? It sounded like the D was dominating early. Has that changed?

Thanks again kcal. I really enjoy this stuff. I really like that Clay and Carter are getting better. Marv can be a dominant player if he could get the separation consistently. Hopefully the QB competition is between Bridgford and Maynard only in the fall. Any update on the full back competition?

hey kcal9, with only williams and anthony returning with any playing experience, who else is lining up at cb?...is lee healthy?...seems like a great chance for the 3 incoming cbs to earn time this fall...your insights are always appreciated...go bears!