Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Report 3/8

Training Report 3/8

Hello everybody. happy Ash Wednesday and hump day. let's do this:

first off- my thoughts were correct. not for other player's injuries but for this kid to be getting reps anywhere possible. Avery Walls was working out at DB this past tuesday during the 7v7 segment and the kid looked like a natural. with the thin depth at DB and a few notable guys not at practice because of school or injury, Avery was stepping up. He was running with the 1's opposite Steve Williams and some with the 2's. man would i love having those two be my starting DBs come this September. Avery had yet ANOTHER solid day of workouts and was competing like none other out there on the field. only play he got beat was on a beautifully thrown deep ball to Kaelin Clay in which Kealin made a great effort to go up and snag the ball. sans that play, Avery was shutting down people left and right.

-Cecil was also on lockdown duty on tues. during the 1v1 reps i don't think i saw a TE or RB catch a ball against him. He is big (230 officially ) and fast and, man, his instincts are phenomenal. great athlete that i hope starts for 4 years. 7v7 he again looked solid and i wished i could have stayed for the team segment but i had to split early. DJ Holt was also covering people like glue sticking RBs and TEs all day. great kid with great football IQ who really was looking fast out there.

-If you are catching the drift it was a defense dominated workout on tues with the D making half a dozen picks or so. Lapite had a few tipped balls fall into his hands while Cattouse snatched a Beau-thrown post route. Cattouse looked big and fast and was constantly there to make a big hit had it been a real game. DJ campbell was also always in position to make the big hit along with Mike Coley and Avery. The D is going to be lights out this year.

-Offensively if you read Tuesday's report you are starting to catch on how high I am on Manuel and Ervin. These kids can both fly and have great hands. for the 1v1 segment, if it was a decently thrown ball they got it usually 5-7 yards away from the closest DB or LB. they are both shifty and Ervin looked pretty smooth out there for an EE. both are great looking athletes that provide great depth behind Isi and co.

-QBs were off and on Tues. some throws they looked really good and on others you wondered why they were offered a scholarship. Beau's pass that got picked by Cattouse was ill-timed, albeit a great play by touse, along with some other tosses during the day. Zach looked decent but still not 100% comfortable out there. 7v7 he was looking really good. one play that caught my eye was where he scrambled and threw a ball 40-50 yards down the field running to his left. deceptively strong arm.
    Brock made an appearance. i say that because the other workouts have been so-so for him. neither good nor bad but i am afraid that is all we are going to get out of him. well...tues was a different story. he looked really good and was throwing darts out there. made a bunch of nice plays during 7v7 period ( and 1v1 for that matter) and for the few plays i saw of the team segment he zipped a ball to Keenan through a few defenders. he looked good out there and looked like he was competing for the starting job. that being said, zach and bridg have both looked sharper and more accurate overall.

this one has gone long enough. thanks for stopping by

did you seriously read my post in 1 minute? nice.

haha great write up. That pass u mentioned that avery got beat on...who was it thrown by?

I fully expect Brock to have his days, but in the end, he's not consistent enough to be our #1, let alone our #2

Thanks dude.

Good to hear that Walls is the kind of safety that can cover a WR one-on-one. We're rail thin at CB so having that versatility is valuable. Plus Gregory played with a lot of 5 DB sets last year so I'm sure he'll find lots of playing time even if he doesn't start.

just the cliff notes

Quote Originally Posted by hanky1 View Post
    Thanks dude.

Good to hear that Walls is the kind of safety that can cover a WR one-on-one. We're rail thin at CB so having that versatility is valuable. Plus Gregory played with a lot of 5 DB sets last year so I'm sure he'll find lots of playing time even if he doesn't start.
    GREGORY!!! come on man. get with the program!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kcal9 View Post
    GREGORY!!! come on man. get with the program!!!!!!
    Typo. Coach P.

KCAL9
    1. Once again thanks for these reports.
    2. I have so show off my ignorance: Ervin being an EE I assume this does not refer to an Electrical Enginering major. Help me out on your EE abreviation. Thanks and GO BEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by pjlbear View Post
    KCAL9
    1. Once again thanks for these reports.
    2. I have so show off my ignorance: Ervin being an EE I assume this does not refer to an Electrical Enginering major. Help me out on your EE abreviation. Thanks and GO BEARS!
    early enrollee

As always a big thank you!!!

Any report on how the tight ends look both physically and in their work?

tight ends have been looking good. only have ladner and miller out there but they look bigger, stronger, and a hair quicker. ladner seems to have gotten over the case of the dropsies he had last year, especially during practices. the kid had super stick-em on his hands a couple years ago and last year really digressed but its nice seeing him looking better.
    Beau was looking pretty good at TE the other day as well. ran a decent route and caught the ball cleanly. Stevens has also been lining up as TE in some reps due to the super thin depth at TE. you thought DBs were thin, we only have 2 TEs practicing right now.

and yes EE is early enrollee, not electrical engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by hanky1 View Post
    Typo. Coach P.

man me laugh for a good minute. he was good for a little while...

did bridgeford practice? didn't see any mention of him specifically.