Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Ball @ Grant

Spring Ball @ Grant

-Mike Manuel is going to be our #1 RB at the end of the year. This kid did a great job of keeping his feet moving and was tough to take down all day. He displayed great shiftiness and speed and held onto the ball. Took a lot of hits and has great power in his lower body. He is really shifty but doesn't dance (which i love) and he impressed me more today than he has all spring. The more the kids hit, the more and more this kid looks like a uber-steal. great kid who i am excited to see manning the backfield come this fall.

Trey also looked pretty good, doing his best Marshawn at times. I like the way he runs and he showed some good power and quick feet. glad to see him healthy again. CDJ looked OK, ran too much laterally and danced a little to much for my taste (and Teddy's). Isi failed to impress me. Teddy was furious at him for getting tackled 1v1 in the open field and he just isnt looking like the man i want our team to rely on. great spot back and H-back type player but i think he may be limited to just that.

Bridgford looked like he will be our man for the next couple of years. If he doesn't win over Teddy's heart before the season- he will be starting by the time we are in a bowl game (if not sooner)

Our Defense is going to dominate the pac-12. Cecil Whiteside and Gabe King will have monster years. Both kids looked great out there on an already stout defense. Avery Walls looked every bit as advertised today flying around and knocking some kids around. With Cattouse and DJ manning the safety spots, look for him to play in the nickel and with the 2's.

Hopefully for those of you who went you witnessed what i have been saying over the past month or so. Manuel is the legit, Avery is a stud, Cecil will be a beast, our WRs will be BEASTS this year with Kiseau back, and Bridg looks like our man. You can take my word for whatever you think it is worth but know you are getting an honest, unbiased, and legitimate football perspective. I really hope our team plays to our strengths and becomes a Defensive powerhouse that relies on a strong running game. I would love if we could become the Alabama of the Pac-12. We have a stalwart defense and our running game will be solid come fall. If we play to these strengths our team will be a 9-4 team trending up.

Let's hope Spencer Hagan is ok. The kid had a MONSTER practice snagging all sorts of balls (one was 1-handed) but took a shot towards the end of practice and was taken to a hospital after. Keep him in your prayers y'all.

First! How did no one offer Manuel? I'd love to here his background, if you've got the goods, kcal... Thanks again!

Good job kcal...ya know, many people thought Isi, though a fast kid, really didn't seem to break many tackles or excel except for sometimes around the edge or some screen passes..... Mike who was sending the tweets all day said as much and so did some knowledgeable guys on CGB..... I don't hate nor wish anything ill of Isi but from what I've seen, it just seems like he doesn't have the awareness...that special football IQ... I honestly am not bashing him because he is busting his butt, but he doesn't stand out....now Manuel, who I know you mentioned even at the informal practices is excelling out there......in fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him and CJA as #1 and #2.... thanks again

hey kcal9, another great report...now that they are hitting, do you have a feel yet who will start/key backups on the ol?...go bears!

Quote Originally Posted by kcal9 View Post
    but know you are getting an honest, unbiased, and legitimate football perspective.
    This is great and all dude, and I love your reports.

However, I heard the exact same things the last two seasons. And let's keep in mind this team is playing against each other, not USC or Furd's squads.

So color me skeptical that we're about to leap right back up to the cream of the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by LessMilesMoreTedford View Post
    This is great and all dude, and I love your reports.

However, I heard the exact same things the last two seasons. And let's keep in mind this team is playing against each other, not USC or Furd's squads.

So color me skeptical that we're about to leap right back up to the cream of the conference.

the question is, did you hear it from me??

and im not saying we are going to top the conference this year i am just saying our defense is going to be lights out and our offense will surprise some people. trust me, from being an avid cal fan the past 4-5 years, me optimistic meter will never get that high again...

Quote Originally Posted by Shocky1 View Post
    hey kcal9, another great report...now that they are hitting, do you have a feel yet who will start/key backups on the ol?...go bears!

hard to tell with all the shuffling going on and people being hurt/recovering from surgeries. ask me again by the end of april??

KCAL, the move from wide receiver to tight end seems like a great move for Spencer Hagan, if Blasquez can get weight on this kid over the next three years he could be very special, with Hagan, Wark and recruit Rogers our Tight End corp looks very solid in the years to come

i agree with your assessments. a few of mine:

1. michael coley performed very well.
    2. Deboskie is huge and did have a really nice run.
    3. the d is ready.
    4. manuel is the real deal. reminds me of jacquizz.
    5. Kaelin Clay is legit.
    6. spencer hagan has to get some pt this year. very talented.
    7. mark anthony BLEW UP Isi.
    8. Kam Krebs (bka AJ Hawk amongst certain Grant players) BLASTED Bridgford.
    9. Owusu looked good.
    10. i predict kick offs and qb play will be at the same level as last year.
    11. Nick Forbes will be very good soon
    12. lopa and tiny were there.
    13. shaq was there and already looks as big as some of our smaller linebackers.
    14. good turnout. a good event. great way to promote cal. we need to do this every year but add fresno.
    Last edited by likwid1; 04-09-2011 at 11:55 PM.

I'll answer my own question, or at least share JO's answer...

"Manuel is a walk-on who the Bears recruited late in the process and brought in right before he was about to make a commitment to Cincinnati."

PAC-12 vs. the Big Easy? Is there even a debate? Thank you, thank you, Mike for selecting Cal!

Quote Originally Posted by likwid1 View Post
    i agree with your assessments. a few of mine:

1. michael coley performed very well.
    2. Deboskie is huge and did have a really nice run.
    3. the d is ready.
    4. manuel is the real deal. reminds me of jacquizz.
    5. Kaelin Clay is legit.
    6. spencer hagan has to get some pt this year. very talented.
    7. mark anthony BLEW UP Isi.
    8. Kam Krebs (bka AJ Hawk amongst certain Grant players) BLASTED Bridgford.
    9. Owusu looked good.
    10. i predict kick offs and qb play will be at the same level as last year.
    11. Nick Forbes will be very good soon
    12. lopa and tiny were there.
    13. shaq was there and already looks as big as some of our smaller linebackers.
    14. good turnout. a good event. great way to promote cal. we need to do this every year but add fresno.

2. he did have a ginormous hole and ran relatively poorly all day
    3. ohh yeah
    4. no jaquizz, runs a LITTLE differently but love his style
    5. told you
    6. needs weight and hopefully he is OK from today

12. Lopa, Tiny, Shaq, Bigelow, Boehm, Rigsbee, and a few others were all there.
    13. yes he is a monster (Syd was there too along with Riley) and i would do whatever it takes to get this kid to come to cal. let him play RB, QB, S, or LB...let's just get him on the field.

The news about Manual is great to hear

Guess who found Mike Manuel? ...

Tosh. Big surprise, huh?

Kcal, you were on Manuel from the beginning! Great call. What do you think about Ryan Davis?

Trey is Briggs?