Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaileb Rodrigues

Kaileb Rodrigues

I want to say publicly that my venting over his recruitment is with the basketball staff and not Kaileb. Welcome to Cal. It is a big day for him. I have a son that plays college sports and he received his share of negative comments during his recruitment (from parents) that wanted different players. I know better than to rain on his parade and apologize for the harshness of my perspective.

Wanted to post this in the original thread but it is closed and rightly so. Welcome to Cal Kaileb. Feel free Bear Insiders to let me have it. It is deserved.

By the edge where the trees meet the sea.

Go to the hill...

Quote Originally Posted by 6956bear View Post
    I want to say publicly that my venting over his recruitment is with the basketball staff and not Kaileb. Welcome to Cal. It is a big day for him. I have a son that plays college sports and he received his share of negative comments during his recruitment (from parents) that wanted different players. I know better than to rain on his parade and apologize for the harshness of my perspective.
    Wanted to post this in the original thread but it is closed and rightly so. Welcome to Cal Kaileb. Feel free Bear Insiders to let me have it. It is deserved.
    ....meditate and restore your faith in "Team Blue Monte". Cast away your meddling impulsive zealotry. His is not a "pre-NBA" sweatshop.

Recruit Rodrigues is a gem and a great addition to this Bears "Team". He will excel and bring you to great rejoicing.

"You ain't got nothing if you ain't got swagger." __

As Moraga already stated the damage has been done. You having a son who plays? Wow!!!

You stating again that your beef is with the staff continues to make you look foolish!!!! Way to go!!!

SacCityBear
    Quote Originally Posted by 89Bear View Post
    You stating again that your beef is with the staff continues to make you look foolish!!!! Way to go!!!
    Your use of 10 exclamation points makes you look even more foolish!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SacCityBear View Post
    Your use of 10 exclamation points makes you look even more foolish!!!!!!!!!!
    Really? Punctuation Vs. Ridiculous ranting that Moraga went on about? Ok, voice of reason.
    Last edited by 89Bear; 04-17-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Too little too late

Access is better than ownership!

I have a son that plays college sports and he received his share of negative comments during his recruitment (from parents) that wanted different players. I know better than to rain on his parade and apologize for the harshness of my perspective.
    This makes your actions even more unacceptable and bush league.

Goodness, there are a lot of idiots on this board, and I'm not talking about 6956. Whatever happened to having a differing opinion? Maybe 6956 was indeed harsh and his rant was uncalled for, but I would hope Kaileb is not affected by an internet message board rant. And don't give the age excuse, the mental toughness of high school players is constantly tested on a regular basis. People that have actually played would know this. If anything, I hope Kaileb uses this as motivation to prove any doubters wrong.
    Last edited by tsubamoto2001; 04-17-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Goodness, there are a lot of idiots on this board, and I'm not talking about 6956. Whatever happened to having a differing opinion? Maybe 6956 was indeed harsh and his rant was uncalled for, but I would hope Kaileb is not affected by an internet message board rant. And don't give the age excuse, the mental toughness of high school players is constantly tested on a regular basis. People that have actually played would know this. Coddling kids is no way to help them grow. If anything, I hope Kaileb uses this as motivation to prove any doubters wrong.
    Why the name calling? I'm not an idiot and, yes, I've played ball in h.s. Differing opinions are fine but what 6956 did was over the top in my opinion for various reasons. Maybe I just have a "differing opinion" on this, though, right?

In a perfect world, anything we write here would not affect players like Kaileb. But does that mean we can or should post whatever we want to post? You might think so, but I don't. Again, just "differing opinions". There needs to be just a LITTLE bit of self restraint here in my opinion. In general, tsuba, I actually like your posts and agree with most of them but I just think you're wrong here.

You have a good day now.
    Last edited by seattlebear02; 04-17-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Goodness, there are a lot of idiots on this board, and I'm not talking about people responding to 6956. Whatever happened to having a differing opinion? Maybe people responding to 6956 were indeed harsh, but I would hope 6956 is not affected by an internet message board rant. The mental toughness of posters is constantly tested on a regular basis. People that have actually posted on message boards would know this.

Funny how when one wants to be an ass on a message board, the targets are supposed to be mentally tough, but when one is the target of assinine behavior suddenly its all okay to be offended.

6965 was a collossal ass over this (and quite frankly, you didn't fall too short of the mark). After Moraga came on and made him feel like a heel, deservedly so, he tried to make amends, rightfully so. Since he expressed a change of heart, I would move on. Others are apparently not so forgiving.

But this idea that you have that somehow a high school kid (or any player, or a coach) is supposed to not be affected by an internet rant is preposterous. No, I'm sure Rodrigues is not curled up in a ball crying, or questioning his abilities, or lost his will to live. He is likely ****ed though and I'm sure that when you give a commitment to a school and what you find is a whole thread with lots of bashing on the coach for accepting your commitment, it doesn't feel good. For that matter, despite what you say, almost every coach and player at all levels are affected by getting publicly criticized and they say so all the time. Its not that they aren't affected. Its that most of them at a high level realize that when you are getting paid to play a very public sport it comes with the territory. We all acknowledge that pros are subject to this. Most acknowledge that big time college athletes are as well, though not to the same extent as the pros. But I think very few would think that a high school player should be subject to it the very minute that he verbally commits to a school.

I'd also like to personally express here that Moragabear and Greybear are complete idiots for letting dumbasses like tsuba post here. This is not a criticism of tsuba at all. Its just that if Moraga and Grey want to run an elite quality board they are being completely incompetent allowing tsuba here. Hope that doesn't offend you tsuba, because no offense intended to you. I'm just talking about Moraga and Grey right now.

Yeah right, so I can criticize the coach for accepting a recruit without saying anything at all about the recruit. That really works in reality.

You guys could easily have (and you have) criticized Monty's recruiting efforts. I expressed concerns just a few days ago. You could have calmed yourselves down, welcomed this kid (or kept quiet) waited a few days and then expressed your concerns about what Monty was doing generally without coming in and making it a "WTF is Monty doing recruiting this kid" specific message that it turned out to be.

Lastly, this is a Cal site. We all want what is best for Cal. We have hired coaches part of whose job it is to recruit talent. I don't know if they are all the best guys at this, but I damned well know they are better than the collection of people on a message board. If one of our coaches identifies a player he wants, we support that by at the very least not getting in the way of his recruitment. Doesn't mean you agree with it. It means you let the coach do his job. In football, I didn't want Stan Hasiak a couple years back. Coaches did. I kept my mouth shut about it. I want the coaches to sign who they want and I certainly want their judgment to rule over mine. So while I had every right to express my opinion, I excercised my judgment that I wasn't going to do the slightest thing to remotely hurt Cal's chances, even if that meant that Hasiak would have been a wimp to let my comments impact him. I do not agree with the concept that you never criticize a coach because the general air of negativity could hurt recruiting. But I certainly am careful what I say about specific recruits. (impliedly or directly). I would think that is obvious. I don't view listening to internet rants against oneself and not having them impact one's decision of where to play to be a necessary skill on the basketball court. Cuz I've never known any great athletes that were complete crybabies when it came to public criticism...cough...Barry Bonds...cough...Terrell Owens.

By the edge where the trees meet the sea.
    You were correct not to want Hasiak. He's a lousy basketball player. The coaches must have wanted another wide body inside.

BTW--Hasiak was a little flighty, too, and he got what he got from cNewhassle @ Ucla...a felt hat, free popcorn, and watching bowl games on TV.
    "You ain't got nothing if you ain't got swagger." __

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    Goodness, there are a lot of idiots on this board, and I'm not talking about people responding to 6956. Whatever happened to having a differing opinion? Maybe people responding to 6956 were indeed harsh, but I would hope 6956 is not affected by an internet message board rant. The mental toughness of posters is constantly tested on a regular basis. People that have actually posted on message boards would know this.

Funny how when one wants to be an ass on a message board, the targets are supposed to be mentally tough, but when one is the target of assinine behavior suddenly its all okay to be offended.

6965 was a collossal ass over this (and quite frankly, you didn't fall too short of the mark). After Moraga came on and made him feel like a heel, deservedly so, he tried to make amends, rightfully so. Since he expressed a change of heart, I would move on. Others are apparently not so forgiving.

But this idea that you have that somehow a high school kid (or any player, or a coach) is supposed to not be affected by an internet rant is preposterous. No, I'm sure Rodrigues is not curled up in a ball crying, or questioning his abilities, or lost his will to live. He is likely ****ed though and I'm sure that when you give a commitment to a school and what you find is a whole thread with lots of bashing on the coach for accepting your commitment, it doesn't feel good. For that matter, despite what you say, almost every coach and player at all levels are affected by getting publicly criticized and they say so all the time. Its not that they aren't affected. Its that most of them at a high level realize that when you are getting paid to play a very public sport it comes with the territory. We all acknowledge that pros are subject to this. Most acknowledge that big time college athletes are as well, though not to the same extent as the pros. But I think very few would think that a high school player should be subject to it the very minute that he verbally commits to a school.

I'd also like to personally express here that Moragabear and Greybear are complete idiots for letting dumbasses like tsuba post here. This is not a criticism of tsuba at all. Its just that if Moraga and Grey want to run an elite quality board they are being completely incompetent allowing tsuba here. Hope that doesn't offend you tsuba, because no offense intended to you. I'm just talking about Moraga and Grey right now.

Yeah right, so I can criticize the coach for accepting a recruit without saying anything at all about the recruit. That really works in reality.

You guys could easily have (and you have) criticized Monty's recruiting efforts. I expressed concerns just a few days ago. You could have calmed yourselves down, welcomed this kid (or kept quiet) waited a few days and then expressed your concerns about what Monty was doing generally without coming in and making it a "WTF is Monty doing recruiting this kid" specific message that it turned out to be.

Lastly, this is a Cal site. We all want what is best for Cal. We have hired coaches part of whose job it is to recruit talent. I don't know if they are all the best guys at this, but I damned well know they are better than the collection of people on a message board. If one of our coaches identifies a player he wants, we support that by at the very least not getting in the way of his recruitment. Doesn't mean you agree with it. It means you let the coach do his job. In football, I didn't want Stan Hasiak a couple years back. Coaches did. I kept my mouth shut about it. I want the coaches to sign who they want and I certainly want their judgment to rule over mine. So while I had every right to express my opinion, I excercised my judgment that I wasn't going to do the slightest thing to remotely hurt Cal's chances, even if that meant that Hasiak would have been a wimp to let my comments impact him. I do not agree with the concept that you never criticize a coach because the general air of negativity could hurt recruiting. But I certainly am careful what I say about specific recruits. (impliedly or directly). I would think that is obvious. I don't view listening to internet rants against oneself and not having them impact one's decision of where to play to be a necessary skill on the basketball court. Cuz I've never known any great athletes that were complete crybabies when it came to public criticism...cough...Barry Bonds...cough...Terrell Owens.
    This sums it up perfectly. Great post. I think I'll quote it in case anyone missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by tsubamoto2001 View Post
    Goodness, there are a lot of idiots on this board, and I'm not talking about 6956. Whatever happened to having a differing opinion?
    I see. So it is okay to have differing opinions, but if it is different from tsub's then you are an idiot. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil Bear View Post
    I see. So it is okay to have differing opinions, but if it is different from tsub's then you are an idiot. Got it.
    Wow, Civil Bear strikes again!

"Idiots" refers to those who mobbed up on 6956, which wasn't justified, IMO, not those who have differing opinions.

But it's ok, I understand reading is something you have difficulty with.