Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Cal leading for J. Bird?

Loyal Bear

Ransom = Randle (sort of)

Quote Originally Posted by jyamada View Post
    When Ransom was a sophomore in high school, he teamed with Ruppert Jones in the backcourt for Berkeley High to create one of the best guard tandems in Bay Area history, at least most exciting anyway. Ransom went to the wrong college...should have gone to a running, fast break type team. His talents were very underutilized at Cal.....I can remember great pass after great pass bouncing off of teammates' hands (Schneiderjohn), heads and chests. Ransom was born a decade too early, otherwise I think he would have had a nice career in the NBA a la Spud Webb or Bogues.
    The younger guys probably aren't even reading this part of the thread, but, to give people an idea of Gene Ransom's game, think Jerome Randle, perhaps not quite as quick/fast, but naturally about 10-15 lbs. heavier (and it was all muscle).

Their height is about the same, as is/was what they did on the court. Ransom, while at Cal, never had a season like Randle's senior year, but I think he could have, if he were surrounded by the right players.

Ransom, a three sport star at Berkeley High, was one of the better prep athletes to come out of the Bay Area.

I am hearing that Bird is also looking to Findlay.

This would be the best move by Bird considering Artis is gone.

Gene's backcourt mate, Ruppert Jones, was the #1 pick of the Seattle Mariners in the Major League Baseball Draft.

Ruppert Jones is one of the all time great HS athletes in Bay Area history. He was also a sensational football player. He could have been a tremendous FS had he gone football. I played baseball against Ruppert many times and he had tremendous power and speed with a great arm. He did strike out an awful lot, but when he made contact the results were awesome. Just a terrific all around athlete.

By the edge where the trees meet the sea.
    I followed Ransom's game at Cal and BHS. Many highlight moments, but one of the best was the driving looping lay-up over UO Greg Ballard.
    "You ain't got nothing if you ain't got swagger." __

Quote Originally Posted by Big C_Cal View Post
    The younger guys probably aren't even reading this part of the thread, but, to give people an idea of Gene Ransom's game, think Jerome Randle, perhaps not quite as quick/fast, but naturally about 10-15 lbs. heavier (and it was all muscle).

Their height is about the same, as is/was what they did on the court. Ransom, while at Cal, never had a season like Randle's senior year, but I think he could have, if he were surrounded by the right players.

Ransom, a three sport star at Berkeley High, was one of the better prep athletes to come out of the Bay Area.
    Gene was LF jr's freshman basketball coach at Berkeley High, so I got to know him a little. He was tremendous with the kids (and they were devoted to him) and really knew the game. He was an emotional guy (broke down in tears when his team beat DeLaSalle) who could get prickly when he felt slighted and that was his Achilles heel. To this day I wish he had been the varsity coach; I think he could have taken those kids to State a couple of times. (As it was, they got almost got there anyway, losing to Powe's Tech team in overtime.)

I also remember watching him at Cal and agree he could have been successful in the NBA

Washington just lost any hope of landing Bird.

Another major mistake by the Washington Pimp U basketball coaches.

Busted for recruiting violations.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...laps_chil.html

Actions speak volume.

Bird has spent a great deal of time with Cal and its staff.
    And Cal has great relationship with his father.

Bird comments maybe more of a place holder.
    A number of decisions are being made and comments like Bird's put him as one of Arizona's top priorities.

See this as a two team race... Cal and Arizona.

well i hope CAL can sway him. would be great for CAL.

Is there a West Coast commit coming soon?

A few minutes ago, we got word of two commits in Felix to texass and Hicks to UNC.

Hick is the start of the 2013 commits.

J.Bird appears to be the FIRST west coast recruit of 2013 ,which will commit.

Will it be Cal or Arizona?

Note-
    The recruiting process has been draining and not enjoyable.
    Make the decision and focus on your school.

Is his father Carl Bird?

Thanks

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    Thanks
    Yes, No. 22

Just got word....

J.Bird does have Cal and Arizona on his Top2 list.

Looks like Romar and all of his baskeball problems are becoming more and more of an issue.
    Appears as if Washington has been eliminated.

Lets see if it's an early commit

Alot of tweeting on this subject.

By the edge where the trees meet the sea.
    Ransom was a great player who could neutralize the big guys. Think about this --- a backcourt of Ransom and Kidd.
    "You ain't got nothing if you ain't got swagger." __

Noticed this on Tweeter...
    I.Hamilton is done to Top6--- Arizona,USC,colorado...

The increased interest by Hamilton in Arizona may lead to an early commit.

J.Bird has already been discussing an early commit as well.

If Hamilton goes first to Arizona;then, Bird goes to Cal.

Note
    One of the tweets came from @rustywildcat11
    many others as well.