Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brendon Bigelow

Quote Originally Posted by Cal88 View Post
    It sounds like a better spot for first hand reports than the Boston Market in rockridge...
    Nah, Twitter trumps all!

The assumption in this thread the Bigelow will be good to go and ready to perform at an elite level seems overly optimistic. The guy has hardly played football for 2 years and the typical recovery time for an acl injury in football is 18-24 months. By recovery time, I mean the time it takes for the player to recover physically and mentally (i.e., to trust his knee).

I hope I'm wrong, but he may be better offer taking a blueshirt while he works to get his confidence back. Lasco or our other rbs are probably more likely options.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post
    if he's healthy he should be #1.
    Talent-wise, absolutely. The thing is that he's barely played football in two years. If he's healthy, I'd start him at #2 and let him get used to being hit again. If he seems to be holding up physically (and I'm not just talking about the knee), then promote him to #1 after a few games but I'd start him out slowly just to see how he handles the physicality of the game after having been out for so long.

All that said, the risk in playing him too soon is high. I'd rather err on the side of caution and not play him unless he's 100% ready and has taken some plenty of hits in practice.

I agree with U2Sucks. By the way, my daughter is starting Cal and will be at Unit 3.

BB is an insane talent. I agree with the posters that say he will start off getting at most 5 to 10 touches a game.Whether BB becomes the starter or not will depend entirely on his performance and Isi's. JT and Gould will not tolerate fumbles. That is not going to change. But the go slow with freshmen attitude that we saw with Lynch and Best may change this year given three factors--
    1) good running backs leave after three years (save him for what)
    2) when Best and Lynch were true frosh there were established upperclassmen at RB. Isi may have a great year in 2011 (hope he does) but after watching in 2010, it's not a slam dunk
    3) JT said that if he's healthy, he will play. Believe it

Quote Originally Posted by cubzwin View Post
    I agree with U2Sucks. By the way, my daughter is starting Cal and will be at Unit 3.

I don't even have kids yet but envious of all you guys with baby bears. I don't think it's the same nowadays, but when I was living in Unit 2 we used to go to Unit 3 when we were feeling classy - Unit 3 was exponentially nicer.

Just saw my first Bigelow video

Let's just say that Bigelow runs the risk of arousing Lions head coach Jim Schwartz.

The backfield is shaping up

Marvin Jones
    Keenan Allen
    Zach Maynard
    Isi Sofele
    Brendon Bigelow
    Anthony Miller
    Eric Stevens

This is not the backfield I envisioned going into spring ball. I like the speed and versatility of this group. Maynard running gives the O a very interesting dimension. There is enough skill to give D coordinators some matchup problems hopefully.

It would be great to see perimeter attacks to keep the D off balance and then some power running to get the o-line into the game. A pass to Miller to ground out some yards mid field.

Tedford must be having fun drawing up plays.

In Gould I Trust

Ron Gould has consistently demonstrated that he is among the best RB coaches in the country. I have complete trust in his judgment as to how and when Bigelow should be used, and I am confident that Gould will make him an even better back. I only hope that Bigelow has truly recovered from his serious injuries and that he has the opportunity to meet his potential at Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post

I don't even have kids yet but envious of all you guys with baby bears. I don't think it's the same nowadays, but when I was living in Unit 2 we used to go to Unit 3 when we were feeling classy - Unit 3 was exponentially nicer.
    unit 2 wada---is 500x as nice as unit 3

Quote Originally Posted by SeymoreBear View Post
    unit 2 wada---is 500x as nice as unit 3
    sorry...SPENS BLACK is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by beeasyed View Post
    sorry...SPENS BLACK is where it's at.
    Foothill all the way baby

Quote Originally Posted by barbearian View Post
    Foothill all the way baby
    +1

Spens-Black in the house!

[QUOTE=gunsofnaverone;529503]Marvin Jones
    Keenan Allen
    Zach Maynard
    Isi Sofele
    Brendon Bigelow
    Anthony Miller
    Eric Stevens

This is not the backfield I envisioned going into spring ball. I like the speed and versatility of this group. Maynard running gives the O a very interesting dimension. There is enough skill to give D coordinators some matchup problems hopefully.

It would be great to see perimeter attacks to keep the D off balance and then some power running to get the o-line into the game. A pass to Miller to ground out some yards mid field.

Guns,

You appear to be new to this board. It sems you know something that I don't:
    Keenan Allen and Anthony MIller are backfield players? I thought one was a wide reciever and the other was a tight end. Care to explain?

Hightlight Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyKC_31BfY4

I like the 90-yard run at 5:16 best, with the spin move and broken tackles.

A couple of the highlights include fumbles. With that, his inexperience and the history of injuries I don't think we'll see him much when we're protecting a lead. More likely he'll be in on certain situations, probably more than Lynch and Best.
    Last edited by R90; 07-12-2011 at 12:14 AM.