Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BearShare: Layshia Clarendon

BearShare: Layshia Clarendon

Hey everybody,

Here's an interview with Layshia Clarendon, on the front page. She shares some thoughts about last season, the new coaches, and the upcoming season.

Link:
    http://www.bearinsider.com/news/story.php?article=1450

Hope you enjoy.

Take care,
    Viet

Great interview as always

Haven't heard much from you this summer. Have you been away?

Great interview! Thanks for sharing.

Very in depth interview...well done.

Layshia comments that there was fatigue with the team playing only 7-8 players and that they had to pace themselves when playing 37-38 minutes a game.

Looking forward to Coach G's much deeper playing rotation...Go Bears!

Thanks for the thoughtful and informative interview, Pearbear. It appears Layshia missed, or ignored, your question about whether her handling the point last season improved her all-around skills. Nonetheless, it's clear she found stepping into the PG role a tough grind, and it affected her ability to score. No doubt, her PG stint did force Layshia to pay more attention to her on-ball skills. Boyd's emergence and development at PG this season will enable Layshia to return to her familiar SG role with greater appreciation of the overall game from her experience at the point. She also likely reflects an appreciation by the team over Lindsay's selection as HC, and anticipation for working with Gottlieb and her staff of respected assistants. Layshia is a potentially key scorer on a talented Bear team, and the hope is that Gottlieb & Co can help to help her and the team to realize their full potential. Good work, Pear.

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    Haven't heard much from you this summer. Have you been away?
    Hi, wvit. Yes, sorry I have been so MIA, but I have been busy with work. Actually, I decided recently to take a break from being an elementary school principal (my real job) after 15 years as a teacher and an administrator in Oakland Unified. It has been very difficult and emotional, especially since I was the founding principal of my school...

But in any case, I knew that I would not be available this spring/summer for Bear Insider. But hey, it's the quiet off-season, right? Then of course we had the most hectic off-season in years (DeNesha, Joanne, new coaches, commitments...). Thank goodness for Jim McGill!

I'll be off on vacation for the next few weeks, but I wanted to get a couple of interviews in before I go. And I do plan to continue to cover Cal wbb this coming season.

Here's a newstory a couple of years back about me and my sister (also a principal--our schools were 5 blocks from each other!):
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...tes&id=7109240
    I guess this is my own version of BearShare... ;-)

Take care,
    Viet
    Last edited by pearbear; 08-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.

[QUOTE=puget sound cal fan;545215]Thanks for the thoughtful and informative interview, Pearbear. It appears Layshia missed, or ignored, your question about whether her handling the point last season improved her all-around skills. QUOTE]

That was probably my fault. Instead of just asking her how playing point guard helped her game, I gave her an either/or. So she chose "the second one," that she had to set aside some of her shooting-guard skills. She was very cognizant that this was a sacrifice she had to make (and was willing to make) for the good of the team, though. I could have followed up with a question about whether playing point improved her court vision, basketball IQ, leadership, etc... though, huh?

I found Layshia super "chill" (as she calls Kai). She is one of those people who probably doesn't sweat the small stuff and makes peace with things quickly. Can't wait to see what she'll do when the offense is built more around her.

Thanks, Pear. I expect the offense under LG to help to better exploit Layshia's all-around scoring ability at the SG, as well as the perimeter marksmanship of Sherbert and Lyles. The keys will be penetration and kick-outs led by Boyd, as well as passes into the post and outlets to open shooters. With a full compliment of talented bigs, scoring opportunites will open-up for other players. I think this will be fun to watch.

Great interview and writeup, thanks PB.

Quick as I could I made hard copy for MsSini, underscoring lottsa good stuff.

Most lasting impression was how she speaks her mind, unfiltered. What other player will flat out say, for publication, "I donít like them" about a conference foe?

#GoBears!
    deport terrorist threat Jesus, homeland security confirmed illegal alien.

Good interview

Shoiuld we assume Cohen is going to be the point?

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Shoiuld we assume Cohen is going to be the point?
    Actually, keep an eye out for an interview with Cohen in the next few days.

GO BEARS!

Pearbear

Are you taking off a year or are you doing something else.

Viet and Tram, thank you for this heartwarming story of determination and dedication by your family. It is amazing what you have achieved in one generation in these difficult economic times.

The biggest plus I see out of the interview is that she recognizes that she is a natural 2 and not a point. I think the biggest problem Cal had last year was her at the point. It wasn't until almost towards the end of the season that I realized that Boyle was clueless in that respect. I had just thought LC was playing the point by default. In retrospect I think Boyle always wanted to turn her into a point as evidenced by the starting her at that position the previous year the first few games.

DING DING DING; Must see 4 everyone, um, everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pearbear View Post
    ... I'll be off on vacation for the next few weeks, but I wanted to get a couple of interviews in before I go. And I do plan to continue to cover Cal wbb this coming season.

Here's a newstory a couple of years back about me and my sister (also a principal--our schools were 5 blocks from each other!):

I guess this is my own version of BearShare... ;-)

Take care,
    Viet
    For emphasis here is the literally epic story link..

Wow, wow is all I got.
    deport terrorist threat Jesus, homeland security confirmed illegal alien.