Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: After the Fresno game, are you more, or less optimistic about the season?

After the Fresno game, are you more, or less optimistic about the season?

Looks like we might have a semblance of a passing attack this year, but our run game looks anemic. Special teams was obviously a disaster, but defense looked great. Bottom line, my outlook for this season is as hazy as before the game.

Anybody willing to revise their season prediction based on this game, up or down?

Quote Originally Posted by Calcoholic View Post
    Looks like we might have a semblance of a passing attack this year, but our run game looks anemic. Special teams was obviously a disaster, but defense looked great. Bottom line, my outlook for this season is as hazy as before the game.

Anybody willing to revise their season prediction based on this game, up or down?
    More optimistic--though we still have two plays on first down: 1) run up the middle 2) WR screen

Hopefully we we were just playing to our tendencies to set up play action on first down in subsequent games

OK., Iwas at the game .For a first game, with a lot of newbies I was impressed. Excited about Maynard and his mobility. The team looked exciting. and thew D kicked ass

More optimistic. We finally beat Fresno St. I was at the losses in 1995 and 2000. This was very satisfying. It doesn't mean we wil even have a winning season. So what. We are undefeated tonight. Thank you Cal Bears and CJT!

no bear
    The players made me a little more optimistic, but the coaching still has me concerned that Cal will improve as the season progresses....sure the defense will improve because Cal has some very talented players with a good DC......but Tedford hasn't shown me that he can improve the offense as the season goes on.....for example, did anyone he Tedfordgo apeshit trying to call a time out to save the confusion on the field in the ist half.....what a laugher.....I think Cal will have their hands full with ucla and Wazzu......OSU looks like a possible win for Cal that I didn't expect.....but Riley does improve his team as the season progresses unlike Tedford.....so maybe I'm counting my chickens before their hatched????

Good to have the first win of the season. I'm excited to see what the team can do this year!

More optimistic.

I was hoping for just 1 of the 2 new guys (Maynard/Sofele) to be the real deal. Maynard wasn't perfect by any stretch, but he can make all the throws and his feet were just as, if not better than advertised.

We need to see more of CJA.

Jones, KA and A Miller all looked good.

Defense as a whole looked good and we have some nice depth.

Play calling was good. O line was shaky, but I think they'll get better, get all of those cobwebs and flags shaken off.

SPECIAL TEAMS SUCKED. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT. Although, I did notice guys like Coley and Kendricks getting downfield and making some nice tackles on kickoffs. Anger is something we probably don't have to worry about, but the Italian needs to get his **** together.

Best reason for my optimism? The rest of the Pac-12 don't look like world beaters after week 1.....

Slightly more. But I wasn't all that optimistic to begin with. D looks solid. Offense looks shaky. Special teams turned in one of the worst performances I've seen.

Now I'm thinking we'll eke out 6 wins and go to a bowl.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlazeN View Post
    Best reason for my optimism? The rest of the Pac-12 don't look like world beaters after week 1.....
    Although yes, this is absolutely true. We could quite possibly get 8 wins. I dunno about winning the North, but I'll take what I can get.

Speaking of Jones, is that spin move new to his skill set? He absolutely humiliated Fresno DB's twice with that move. Love it.

Also! Going for it on 4th gives me optimism we might do it again in the future. Go Bears!

More optimistic

This game had "Bear Trap" written all over it, so just getting past it is a big plus. The offense is still a work in progress, and special teams (read: kicking) appear to be a train wreck (what else is new?). If we don't have a Maryland-style flame-out due to oxygen deprivation next week, we should go 3-0 in non conference. I like our odds of winning 4 of the next 9 and getting to a bowl. That's all I hoped for this season.
    Last edited by SoFlaBear; 09-03-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling disaster

YOu sound like me.

I liked the fact that Maynard clearly had a good connection to KA and MJ and that those 2 WRs established themselves as game-breaking threats. We haven't had that since 2006.
    but the O-line was actually a bit worse than I expected, and I wasn't expecting a lot from them. Fresno State has a reputation for trying to shoot gaps and play a pressure defense, but they still spent way too much time in the Cal backfield. This worries me because without holes to run through we'll start seeing teams use pass blitzes all the time. We need a running game to keep defenses honest.

Special teams was a disaster again. I'm wondering if we'll ever see a Tedford coached team that can play special teams.

And when will we get a good kicker?

More Optimistic

For all of the bitching about special teams - deservedly so in some areas- the coverage on kickoffs was outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandBear View Post
    For all of the bitching about special teams - deservedly so in some areas- the coverage on kickoffs was outstanding.
    Sure, we were only giving up 25 yards per return, but the kickoffs were only getting to the 10 yard line so Fresno State started with fairly good field position. Heck, we could have given them the same field position by kicking the ball out of bounds and having them accept the ball at the 35.

Sorry, but the kickoff coverage has to include where the kick is caught and our kickiffs are way too short.

i had higher expectations than most coming into the game, and honestly my hopes for the season are higher after the game. we made a lot of mistakes, and the OL and ST need some work, but other than that, i like what we saw from both the offense and defense for the most part.

the reason for my increased optimism is more due to what happened with the other games throughout the conference. as i suspected, many teams (WA, OR) were going to miss what they lost a lot more than most experts thought. aside from stanfurd i thought we played the most impressively of any team in the conference this week. granted, it could all change and there's a lot of football left, but i think we will do far better than first predicted.