Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 67

Thread: WHen does Tedford take ST seriously

  1. #1
    True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    14,063

    WHen does Tedford take ST seriously

    How many years before Tedford starts taking ST seriously?

    How many years until fans start putting the blame on Tedford and not some poor assistant coach?


    It is like they had not practiced until Friday.

  2. #2
    He fired Alamar and hired Genyk, my guess is he takes it seriously. They didn't look good overall, I hope it gets better.

  3. #3
    I think the greater priorities were fixing the OL & WR units that were horrible last year, making sure our new and inexperienced QB & TB were ready, and replacing the holes in the D due to graduation of star players drafted in the NFL.

  4. #4
    There is no excuse for JT not to fix this special teams mess. Tavecchio has to go. He comes at a price we can't afford to pay anymore. Anger is totally inconsistent and can't be relied on. We have replacements for both that would be more predictable - if less exciting.............

  5. #5
    we dodged a bullet with Giorgio Pinocchio yesterday (see UCLA game, margin of defeat, and Kip Smith)... Anger just needs to stop with the stupid rugby kicks.

  6. #6
    Ummm.... how do we know that that's the problem, the he doesn't take it *seriously*? Maybe he just has a wrong approach to it period.

  7. #7
    More likely, Anger and Tavechio are the best options we have. If the others were better they would be playing. Coverage teams were dramatically better than last year.

  8. #8
    True Blue Golden Bear sycasey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oakland
    Posts
    12,272
    We replaced the Special Teams coach last year. The unit did appear to perform marginally better last season, not so much in the first game this year. But it was only one game, after all . . . I don't see the evidence that Tedford is not taking it seriously. Performance is another matter.

  9. #9
    True Blue Golden Bear
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,002
    Quote Originally Posted by sycasey View Post
    We replaced the Special Teams coach last year. The unit did appear to perform marginally better last season, not so much in the first game this year. But it was only one game, after all . . . I don't see the evidence that Tedford is not taking it seriously. Performance is another matter.
    We'll see when Tedford holds this unit accountable for their lousy play. I understand they're kids and it WAS the first game after all. If play, especially blocking doesn't improve, then we can rightfully call for Genyk's head.

    I disagree that Tedford takes special teams seriously. The subpar performance over his entire tenure speaks volumes about how seriously he takes special teams. Then there was the fact that he stuck with a terrible special teams coach for years when it was obvious to over 50,000 armchair QBs that Alamar had to go.

  10. #10
    Don't think I've ever seen two extra points blocked in a row. Ridiculous.

  11. #11
    drunkoski
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SmellinRoses View Post
    Don't think I've ever seen two extra points blocked in a row. Ridiculous.
    Second one hit the back of the onlineman.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by GranadaHillsBear View Post
    We'll see when Tedford holds this unit accountable for their lousy play. I understand they're kids and it WAS the first game after all. If play, especially blocking doesn't improve, then we can rightfully call for Genyk's head.

    I disagree that Tedford takes special teams seriously. The subpar performance over his entire tenure speaks volumes about how seriously he takes special teams. Then there was the fact that he stuck with a terrible special teams coach for years when it was obvious to over 50,000 armchair QBs that Alamar had to go.
    In Tedford's first season, he had a great Special Teams coached by Dave Ungerer. LaShaun Ward, Mick McGrath, Mark Jenkins did real well. I wish we can get him back to the staff.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by GranadaHillsBear View Post
    I disagree that Tedford takes special teams seriously. The subpar performance over his entire tenure speaks volumes about how seriously he takes special teams.
    There's been subpar qb performance for the last few years of his tenure, too, and nobody's arguing that that's because he doesn't take it seriously. He seems like a very serious guy in general- if anything over serious. But even when we were playing top ten calibre ball special teams were lacking. And changing coaches hasn't measurably improved things. So, yes, something just plain isn't right. I'm just not convinced that that something is lack of "seriousness" or putting effort in. I think it's more likely that the effort's been ineffective- just like so much of the effort with our passing game seemed to be recently.

  14. #14

    Welcome to the Board Winemaker....

    Quote Originally Posted by winemakerbear View Post
    More likely, Anger and Tavechio are the best options we have. If the others were better they would be playing. Coverage teams were dramatically better than last year.
    you are wrong! We have players on the roster that can consistently make extra points from two yards out and kick-off further - as well as punt more consistently............IMO

  15. #15
    drunkoski
    Guest
    Tedford needs to do what urban meyer and frank beamer does which is play starters on special teams.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •