Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Sofele Start?

Should Sofele Start?

He just doesn't look as good as the other 2 options to me - Anderson and CDJ. The idea that it's our line and there are no holes only goes so far for me. A running back that can break some tackles can make the line look a lot better. He has no power at all, and it's not like he's that fast. He doesn't look anywhere near as explosive as Justin Forsett nor as powerful. He's not much of a target on pass plays either. I would use him for sure, but I think Anderson gives us more of an NFL type back who can break some tackles and complement our offense a little better.

I would play more backs and stick with the guy who appears to be the most effective. I don't think anyone else has gotten much of a chance but Sofele.

Real Bear
    anderson should start

Sunny, warm Charleston--great golfing weather today

I want to see what Covaughn can do-

and see a lot more of Anderson--I saw what he could do. Use Sofele in spot situations, not as the primary weapon in the backfield.

My expert opinion based upon watching 50 years of Cal football....

Go Bears!

BAFC

Tedford said Anderson has earned more playing time in his postgame interview yesterday. Hopefully we see more carries for the other running backs going forward.

Active Bear
    I've said since signing day and looking at our stable that Sofele is going to start, CJ is going to get worked in slowly, and by the end of the year it's going to be an equal sharing load between the 2. It's how I see it playing out so far.

Right now Sofele is the better complete back, he can block, pick up his assignment, catch and run and thus he starts. If you have to rely on a back to pick up a blitz like Cal, you want someone who knows how it works...or your QB gets crushed and you're really up sh*t creek without a paddle.

That said, if CJA is a better runner by all means give him more time.

Where does Anderson fit in? Seems to me Anderson is getting more time than CJ. Tedford is talking about Anderson earning more time. I didn't hear him say anything about CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by FingeroftheBear View Post
    Right now Sofele is the better complete back, he can block, pick up his assignment, catch and run and thus he starts. If you have to rely on a back to pick up a blitz like Cal, you want someone who knows how it works...or your QB gets crushed and you're really up sh*t creek without a paddle.

That said, if CJA is a better runner by all means give him more time.
    CJA did in fact pick up some good blocks yesterday....in fact, in an article by BearTerritory.net, "he saved Maynard's bacon several times with good blocks"..

Active Bear

Deboskie

While I am excited about Anderson, I would also like to see Deboskie get a few carries

Tedford said post-game that Anderson earned himself more time. I agree!

Looking at the post-game interview with CJ, you can tell he's a really humble, smart and like-able guy. I hope he gets more reps.

Sweeps (as a first option and a deke) and some passing downs. 6-7 touches a game....NOT a feature back. I'd rather have Deltha back there, and we know where he ended up....Hmm, Sofele at CB -- now there's an idea. On second thought, still too short.

Once CJA masters blocking, he'll be our starter. Sofele is good for a change of pace back, but I have to assume that he's the starter until CJA feels comfortable in his role as a complete back

Quote Originally Posted by pappysghost View Post
    He just doesn't look as good as the other 2 options to me - Anderson and CDJ. The idea that it's our line and there are no holes only goes so far for me. A running back that can break some tackles can make the line look a lot better. He has no power at all, and it's not like he's that fast. He doesn't look anywhere near as explosive as Justin Forsett nor as powerful. He's not much of a target on pass plays either. I would use him for sure, but I think Anderson gives us more of an NFL type back who can break some tackles and complement our offense a little better.

I would play more backs and stick with the guy who appears to be the most effective. I don't think anyone else has gotten much of a chance but Sofele.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlfromCal View Post
    and see a lot more of Anderson--I saw what he could do. Use Sofele in spot situations, not as the primary weapon in the backfield.

My expert opinion based upon watching 50 years of Cal football....

Go Bears!

BAFC
    +1 based on 47 years of watching Cal football!