Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Marshall help CU steal our defensive calls?

Did Marshall help CU steal our defensive calls?

I have absolutely no evidence to suggest this other than the fact that CU seemed to have exactly the right play call for our D on many downs. When we blitzed, they screened very effectively. When we zoned, they ran short routes and found the seams. Their qb and receiver both set CU records for offense. Likely Marshall did help them scout our D, and I hope we were smart enough to change all our signals so there was no chance of CU stealing signs.

Sure why not. If I were CU's coach, I'd pick apart Marshall's head to game plan.

True Blue Golden Bear LethalFang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bearterritory View Post
    I have absolutely no evidence to suggest this other than the fact that CU seemed to have exactly the right play call for our D on many downs. When we blitzed, they screened very effectively. When we zoned, they ran short routes and found the seams. Their qb and receiver both set CU records for offense. Likely Marshall did help them scout our D, and I hope we were smart enough to change all our signals so there was no chance of CU stealing signs.
    If Tedford uses the exact same signals as he did last year, he's fired.
    You don't need to be a D-1 head coach for 10 years to figure that out.
    More likely, he knows our tendencies and players' strengths and weaknesses.

probably not but he sure helped a ton in game week preparation. they saw our blitzes coming a mile away

Quote Originally Posted by WarTime Consigliere View Post
    probably not but he sure helped a ton in game week preparation. they saw our blitzes coming a mile away
    of course they could see it coming at 5 miles per hour instead of 100mph. the OLBs are like statues waiting for a building to crumble because of an earthquake before they react. they are just too slow and seem no agility.
    Last edited by grrrutilus; 09-13-2011 at 12:07 AM.

4-3 please against pro sets

They ran a lot of max-protect to bolster their deficient O line (we did this too last year with Marshall, if you recall, especially after Riley went down). That makes it very difficult to pressure the QB without rushing at least six guys.

Either you send in eight and go 1-on-1 against their receivers or you keep some back in coverage and give the QB all day to find an open man. We did a little of both yesterday but Richardson murdered Marc Anthony on the man coverage, or Hansen eventually found the open man. Pick your poison. That's what a senior QB throwing to a stud WR will do.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BerlinerBaer View Post
    They ran a lot of max-protect to bolster their deficient O line (we did this too last year with Marshall, if you recall, especially after Riley went down). That makes it very difficult to pressure the QB without rushing at least six guys.

Either you send in eight and go 1-on-1 against their receivers or you keep some back in coverage and give the QB all day to find an open man. We did a little of both yesterday but Richardson murdered Marc Anthony on the man coverage, or Hansen eventually found the open man. Pick your poison. That's what a senior QB throwing to a stud WR will do.
    How come when they max protect there are receivers open all the time. When we used to max protect like with Longshore and Riley, there's no one open. We've had separation issues for a long time.

drunkoski
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalFang View Post
    If Tedford uses the exact same signals as he did last year, he's fired.
    You don't need to be a D-1 head coach for 10 years to figure that out.
    More likely, he knows our tendencies and players' strengths and weaknesses.
    tedford reportably used the same signals he used at oregon that he used at cal. . . even against oregon the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bearterritory View Post
    Possibly.

Did Ambrose and Keis give CJT the book on CU? Probably. Nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by twister View Post
    Possibly.

Did Ambrose and Keis give CJT the book on CU? Probably. Nature of the beast.
    Right, except CU has a different offensive coordinator and different scheme this year. So I don't think they were very helpful regarding CU's offense, which is brand new. You could say the same about Cal, I suppose. But although we outscored you thanks to much better efficiency in the red zone, the real obvious mismatch was the CU OL vs. Cal's DL, which is surprising to Cal fans after our experiences with Marshall.

Props to your OL... they were fantastic. If they can keep that up all year you guys are going to outperform expectations.

Also props to Eric B. He called a great game, and it wasn't remotely like what Cal saw CU do vs. Hawaii.
    Last edited by elpbear; 09-13-2011 at 07:37 AM.

None of the lb's had a particularly good day

Kendricks uncharacteristically missed a few key tackles and ran himself out of several of the screens. Camporeale missed an point-blank sack. Davis kept getting cut at the line of scrimmage. This lack of execution was way more important than possible knowledge of defensive signals.

The team has to hope that this was a one-game anomaly. With Kendricks it probably was--he just didn't seem himself for whatever reason.

Don't forget Kendricks is playing a new position as well. Hopefully it doesn't take him long to get up to speed on the differences between playing the inside and the outside...

Quote Originally Posted by TummyoftheGB View Post
    . Davis kept getting cut at the line of scrimmage.
    I noticed this on multiple plays and not just Davis. Time and time again our guys were getting knocked off their feet. Hard to make a tackle when you're on your belly (or backside).

Quote Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post
    tedford reportably used the same signals he used at oregon that he used at cal. . . even against oregon the next year.
    If, by "the next year", you mean 2002, we didn't play Oregon that year.