Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With 100 numbers, why do guys need to wear the same number?

With 100 numbers, why do guys need to wear the same number?

I noticed Jones wore his #1 returning kicks so they must have changed the other guys number.

CubanPete
    Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    I noticed Jones wore his #1 returning kicks so they must have changed the other guys number.
    Because there are more than 100 guys on the roster

or maybe it's because Steve Williams (#1) just wasn't playing on ST for returns? he was wearing #1 when he was placeholding the ball for tevecchio

Because some players really want to wear certain numbers.

FingeroftheBear
    I think part of it is also position by numbers, i.e., certain positions traditionally wear numbers in a certain range.

True Blue Golden Bear LethalFang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FingeroftheBear View Post
    I think part of it is also position by numbers, i.e., certain positions traditionally wear numbers in a certain range.
    I think that's more than tradition, but there are rules.
    An OL number is not an eligible receiver (unless he reports to the refs).

Quote Originally Posted by FingeroftheBear View Post
    It's rule based. It's changed some recently as at one time WRs were to wear numbers between 80-89 and tight ends did not wear numbers in the 40-49 range. I know the rules as they once stood, but this is how I think college has it set up now.

1-19 - K, P, WR, DB, QB
    20-29 - DB, RB
    30-39 - LB, RB
    40-49 - LB, TE
    50-79 - OL, DL
    80-89 - WR, TE
    90-99 - DL

Obviously college allows a few variatiosn which is how you get OLBs with the number 14 (Whiteside for Cal). But that is close to the standard. I do know that at the Pro level it is very strictly enforced. When Shawn Merriman was drafted by the Chargers he started play with his old college number but once the regular season started and the NFL realized he was playing as an OLB rather than a DE they forced the Chargers to immediately change his number. I was working security for that first regular season game and a number of fans came to the gear shop to complain about the change in jersey number since they had purchased jerseys before the change was forced.

I do know that it is used to determine who is an eligible receiver. On offense numbers 50-79 are only used by O-linemen. That's to allow the defense to use the numbers to tell who is and isn't eligible. That's also why the referee will announce if the tackle is going to be eligible on a play.

1-19 can also be worn by RBs, ie: Jahvid and Marshawn.

Quote Originally Posted by hanky1 View Post
    I'm all for this when it doesn't result in penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by mvargus View Post
    It's rule based. It's changed some recently as at one time WRs were to wear numbers between 80-89 and tight ends did not wear numbers in the 40-49 range. I know the rules as they once stood, but this is how I think college has it set up now.

1-19 - K, P, WR, DB, QB
    20-29 - DB, RB
    30-39 - LB, RB
    40-49 - LB, TE
    50-79 - OL, DL
    80-89 - WR, TE
    90-99 - DL

Obviously college allows a few variations
    The above is strictly NFL, college there is no set rule for player numbers; the only set standard is QB's are from 1-19 (except Kosar and Flutie) and OL's are either from 50-79. For awhile, Cal's LB's generally all wore numbers in the 40's.

That may be true but you do not want your QB wearing #98. The skill players on offense and defense wear numbers below 30 - we have about 60 of those players and they all seem to double up.

We have plenty of offensive line numbers, though.

It is not about greed on getting your high-school number. But it is about greed in getting a number that is logical for your position. The coaches would have a hard time figuring out why someone on offense was in at running back wearing number 88, or a DB wearing the same.

1-19 - K, P, WR, DB, QB
    20-29 - DB, RB
    30-39 - LB, RB
    40-49 - LB, TE
    50-79 - OL, DL
    80-89 - WR, TE
    90-99 - DL
    Close, but not quite. In college, I believe the only rule is that OL have to wear 50-79.

The NFL has more positionally requirements but does not exactly follow the above. For example RB can wear 40s. WR can't wear 1-9. DBs are 20s, 30s and 40s only. LB are 50s and 90s but not 40s I believe. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hanky1 View Post
    And, as has been pointed out by others on this board, certain numbers are sometimes promised to certain prized recruits.

1-19 - K, P, WR, DB, QB
    20-29 - DB, RB
    30-39 - LB, RB
    40-49 - LB, TE
    50-79 - OL, DL
    80-89 - WR, TE
    90-99 - DL

Obviously college allows a few variatiosn which is how you get OLBs with the number 14 (Whiteside for Cal). But that is close to the standard. I do know that at the Pro level it is very strictly enforced. When Shawn Merriman was drafted by the Chargers he started play with his old college number but once the regular season started and the NFL realized he was playing as an OLB rather than a DE they forced the Chargers to immediately change his number. I was working security for that first regular season game and a number of fans came to the gear shop to complain about the change in jersey number since they had purchased jerseys before the change was forced.

I do know that it is used to determine who is an eligible receiver. On offense numbers 50-79 are only used by O-linemen. That's to allow the defense to use the numbers to tell who is and isn't eligible. That's also why the referee will announce if the tackle is going to be eligible on a play.
    There are lots of other exceptions to that pattern on Cal's roster. Examples:

1-19 - K, P, WR, DB, QB:
    #3 ILB DJ Holt
    #14 OLB Cecil Whiteside (as noted)
    #17 DE/OLB Brennan Scarlett
    #19 OLB Jason Gibson

20-29 - DB, RB:
    #21 WR Keenan Allen
    #22 OLB Ryan Davis
    #28 WR Jackson Bouza

30-39 - LB, RB:
    #31 DB Tyre Ellison

40-49 - LB, TE: