Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UW's defense, is it that bad and can Cal exploit it?

UW's defense, is it that bad and can Cal exploit it?

UW team defense ranks 108 out of 120 while Cal's team D ranks 21 nationally, according to USA Today stats. This to me is a big disparity.

UW is near the very bottom against the pass and around 3/4s against the run.

UW has played Eastern Washington, Hawaii and Nebraska. Cal of course has played Fresno, Colo and Presby. There's stat padding in E Wash and Presby but the other games seem a fair measure. UW took a bigger hit against Neb.

So the question is, can Cal exploit UW's defense? Are the stats a misrepresentation and too early? What would you call for Cal's attack against UWs defense, lots of pistol/spread?

I think the sample size is too small to make any conclusions about how good/bad the teams are statistically. I think about 6 games in will they be more meaningful; but still it doesn't take into context, the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by calbear75 View Post
    I think the sample size is too small to make any conclusions about how good/bad the teams are statistically. I think about 6 games in will they be more meaningful; but still it doesn't take into context, the competition.
    Good point. For discussion purposes, call the stats "trending" or an indication of where each team is. Can Cal exploit UWs D, and what do you call against them?

True Blue Golden Bear BeachyBear's Avatar
    On paper, and based upon what I've seen, UW's D is the worst Cal has faced not counting PC.

The way to exploit a defense like this is to play your game and keep drives alive - that means minimizing the offensive penalties, catching the balls, and using good judgment on the passes. In other words, if Cal plays relatively mistake-free, the Bears will put up a lot of points.

As I've said before, I really see this game coming down to Cal's D. If Cal plays like the #21 defense (or better), I feel really good about this game.

We need to get some offensive flow going this game. Long drives, keep the Dawgs (re: POLK) off the field and Cal has a good chance. Gotta keep that Dawgs crowd out of it for as long as possible. I see a close game down the stretch unless Maynard takes it to another level and we can get at least 100 yards on the ground. Please please play CJA more this week.

The better measure might be to compare CAL's defense against those of Eastern Washington, Hawaii and Nebraska. We should be able to score on Washington's D, but the question is whether Washington will be able to score on ours.

Quote Originally Posted by CALiforniALUM View Post
    The better measure might be to compare CAL's defense against those of Eastern Washington, Hawaii and Nebraska. We should be able to score on Washington's D, but the question is whether Washington will be able to score on ours.

Great question.

We might have to "spy" QB Price. He's a Dual-Threat QB who may/will give us the same problems the CU Buff's QB did in avoiding our pass-rush (zero sacks against him).

WR Kearse may pull another Richardson (CU's breakout WR) on us if we don't contain him.

UDub is dangerous. I expect a shootout between two up-and-coming teams.

I think we know way more about the UW defense than we do about the Bears. The Bears have a good game, a bad one and PC which you have to throw out. Which defense shows up on Saturday for the Bears? Last season the Bears were very good and very bad on defense depending on the week. So far this season it looks similar (albeit a small sample) . The UW defense is below average, but has made a few key plays. Cal should be able to move the ball. They simply must convert yards to points. TDs will be critical. So far the Bears have converted in the red zone. They will need to again on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Our Domicile View Post
    Great question.

We might have to "spy" QB Price. He's a Dual-Threat QB who may/will give us the same problems the CU Buff's QB did in avoiding our pass-rush (zero sacks against him).

WR Kearse may pull another Richardson (CU's breakout WR) on us if we don't contain him.

UDub is dangerous. I expect a shootout between two up-and-coming teams.

Umm, he has 14 carries for -9 yards and a long of 10 on the season. I wonder what makes him a "dual threat"...

Quote Originally Posted by grandmastapoop View Post
    Umm, he has 14 carries for -9 yards and a long of 10 on the season. I wonder what makes him a "dual threat"...

His scrambling ability in the Nebraska game was very apparent in making plays.

Did you see the NEB/UW game or are you stuck on Google again trying to make a point?

Considering that Washington's D didn't do well against Eastern Washington and Hawaii, whose combined total record is now 1-5. I'd say that yes Cal's offense can definitely take advantage of Washington's suffering D. However, if we continue to make ridiculous penalties on offense (i mean how many teams get called for a face mask on the Offense?) we will kill our drives.

This could very well be a shootout, but if our defense can contain QB Keith Price and WR Jermaine Kearse (unlike our defense against Colorado) and continue a pretty good rushing defense Cal can win big and make a statement to the Pac-12 (knock on wood).

Price is hurt and hobbling

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=147&f=1361&t=7958745

Stack the line for Polk and put relentless pressure on Price - our D will make enough big plays to offset the ones we could give up.

And yes, the Huskies' defense IS that bad. They get no push from their linemen (Ta'amu is playing with a broken hand and has not been anywhere near his hype), their LBs overpursue and have troouble tackling, and their secondary is horrific (Richardson in particular has been toasted like a marshmallow). If Cal can't put up at least 30+, then something went terribly wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by majorursa View Post
    http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=147&f=1361&t=7958745

Stack the line for Polk and put relentless pressure on Price - our D will make enough big plays to offset the ones we could give up.

And yes, the Huskies' defense IS that bad. They get no push from their linemen (Ta'amu is playing with a broken hand and has not been anywhere near his hype), their LBs overpursue and have troouble tackling, and their secondary is horrific (Richardson in particular has been toasted like a marshmallow). If Cal can't put up at least 30+, then something went terribly wrong...
    Totally agree. The defenses will decide this game and I think Cal has a substantial edge there. Hopefully, the Bears special teams and offense don't give away "gift" points and commit far less errors and crucial penalties in this game. If they do, it will be an easier win than most expect.

Loyal Bear
    The depth of Cal's Defense and recent recruiting classes is starting to shine through ....

This is where U$C used to destroy its opponents over the years .... they could survive injuries and when starters weren't doing well with strong backups. Washington could really be hurting with injuries. Time for the Bears to take control of Seattle....

Looking forward to hearing "This is Bear Territory" in the Dawg's House

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeachyBear View Post
    On paper, and based upon what I've seen, UW's D is the worst Cal has faced not counting PC.

The way to exploit a defense like this is to play your game and keep drives alive - that means minimizing the offensive penalties, catching the balls, and using good judgment on the passes. In other words, if Cal plays relatively mistake-free, the Bears will put up a lot of points.

As I've said before, I really see this game coming down to Cal's D. If Cal plays like the #21 defense (or better), I feel really good about this game.
    Beachy,
    I like your analysis! Go Bears!