Thread: If 16 is so important why doesn't the Big 10 care?

If 16 is so important why doesn't the Big 10 care?

I find it interesting that with all the talk of the importance of having 16 teams in the PAC and other conferences why is it nobody is taking about the Big 10 (actually 12) going in the same direction? Yes they have a very profitable network but using the examples often talked about on this board would it not be more valuable with greater coverage such as Oak and Texas which seem more like the midwest than west to me? Why is there so little talk about any schools wanting to make a move to this conference if 16 is the end game? Unless the PAC 12 goes to 16 with 2 8-team divisions I think this is going to be a train wreck for Cal football. How are we going to compete against a group of teams we seldom rise above and then add on three of the top football programs in the country? As Jim Boeheim, Syracuse's great basketball coach said today football is driving everything in college sports end of report. He seemed thrilled to be heading to the ACC where he will get to play DUKE and North Carolina every year. But he knows he can beat those guys! I don't hear the current Pac 12 football coaches singing the same tune about Texas, Oak and Oak St. Granted they are a little busy at the moment and have been undoubtedly silence by the conference on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by kasaja View Post
    I find it interesting that with all the talk of the importance of having 16 teams in the PAC and other conferences why is it nobody is taking about the Big 10 (actually 12) going in the same direction? Yes they have a very profitable network but using the examples often talked about on this board would it not be more valuable with greater coverage such as Oak and Texas which seem more like the midwest than west to me? Why is there so little talk about any schools wanting to make a move to this conference if 16 is the end game? Unless the PAC 12 goes to 16 with 2 8-team divisions I think this is going to be a train wreck for Cal football. How are we going to compete against a group of teams we seldom rise above and then add on three of the top football programs in the country? As Jim Boeheim, Syracuse's great basketball coach said today football is driving everything in college sports end of report. He seemed thrilled to be heading to the ACC where he will get to play DUKE and North Carolina every year. But he knows he can beat those guys! I don't hear the current Pac 12 football coaches singing the same tune about Texas, Oak and Oak St. Granted they are a little busy at the moment and have been undoubtedly silence by the conference on the topic.
    See new thread...no expansion for the Pac 12 right now.....Pac doesn't seem to be going anywhere

Well firstly I don't think we can assume the Big10 hasn't done any research, I mean the ACC move came out of nowhere for the most part so other commissioners are probably working to preserve themselves. Also the Big10 has to wait on Notre Dame since that is the biggest fish in their area and the Irish don't seem to want to do anything unless the world explodes. If the Big10 calls some schools in the Big East or call up Missouri tomorrow with an invite I would surmise the deal is halfway done.