Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach Gould is Great, but

Coach Gould is Great, but

isn't it he partly responsible for keeping Sofele in on goal line situations.....Afterall, he is in charge of the running backs and the assistant head coach.
    Last edited by bearagze; 09-25-2011 at 02:59 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear LethalFang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bearagze View Post
    isn't it he partly responsible for keeping Sofele in on goal line situations.....Afterall, he is in charge of the running backs and the assistant head coach.
    You mean the guy who calls the plays do not have the authority to put in players best fit for a particular play?
    I would be shocked.

The play calling and personnel choice

It was a failure by committee. I very much doubt Tedford was calling for Sofele as opposed to Anderson. However, as Head Coach he should have insisted that CJA was the rb.
    Last edited by bearagze; 09-25-2011 at 03:22 PM.

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    It was a failure by committee. I very much doubt Tedford was calling for Sofele as opposed to Anderson. However, as Head Coach he should have insisted that CJA was the rb.
    Ridiculous.

If we have assistants arguing over substituting individuals in specific packages as plays, we are in for an epic season of delay of games and team discipline issues.

no bear
    This is what's been puzzeling me???

Does the runningbacks coach put in the player best rested, hot, etc. first regardless of the game situation, then the headcoach or OC calls the plays, or is it the other way around? Either way is a FUBAR situation.

CJ Anderson had 7 carries for 9 yards. Get over yourselfs, he is not going to cure all that ails Cal Football

From what I can tell the rb that plays is entirely up to Gould. That's our system.

Yeah, but some yards are worth more than others. He pounded one in for a touchdown, and probably could have scored another had he been in the game.

And, if that is our system (position coach makes personnel decisions), then it also explains Tedford's post game comment regarding it being a fair question as to why CJA was not in the game at the end. Tedford simply didn't want to throw Gould under the bus. Hopefully, other rbs will get more time now---including CD.
    Last edited by bearagze; 09-25-2011 at 04:31 PM.

no bear
    I hear what you guys are saying but then it means Gould totally ignored Anderson hardnose run into the end zone....that was one of Cal's few displays of real football to me.....by using Anderson, I think it would havebeen a good indication that other RBs, including himself, would be getting more carries per game, but again, now I don't know???

Gould needs to back off Isi and play the other rbs more. He played his best game, but he is a situational back. And those situations are NOT goal line plays. (He also dropped an important pass and has had issues holding onto the ball.) I do love the kid's intensity and effort. Go Bears!
    Last edited by bearagze; 09-25-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pappysghost View Post
    Yeah, but some yards are worth more than others. He pounded one in for a touchdown, and probably could have scored another had he been in the game.
    That play was one of the few red zone run plays that was well blocked. CJ ran over a defensive back on that play, to his credit.

Isi got hit in the back field by line backers with DL's coming at him as well. The blocking wasn't there on the 2nd and third down plays.

Blaming Isi for what amounts to an OL and TE blocking or playcalling or schematic problem is silly.

That said, it hardly makes sense to use your smallish back on short yardage plays.

I still think the blame has to go on the OC and ultimately on Tedford. The OC's job is to score and he has to outrank the running back coach when it comes to who is playing. The whole idea of who is playing in short yardage should be decided before the game. Any other arrangement is nonsense.

Gould needs to back off Isi and play the other rbs more. He played his best game, but he is a situational back. And those situations are NOT goal line plays. (He also dropped an important pass and has had issues holding onto the ball.) I do love the kid's intensity and effort. Go Bears!
    Agreed. Isi showed he can be a good RB. Doesn't mean he is an every down RB or the best RB in all situations. We have a lot of depth at RB. We should be exploiting that. I noticed we used CDJ catching balls out of the backfield. That worked pretty well. CJA in short yardage also seemed like it worked pretty well.

And, if that is our system (position coach makes personnel decisions), then it also explains Tedford's post game comment regarding it being a fair question as to why CJA was not in the game at the end. Tedford simply didn't want to throw Gould under the bus. Hopefully, other rbs will get more time now---including CD.
    I can't believe that's the way teh staff does things. Players have different skill sets - some can block better, catch better, run stronger, run faster, etc. If that isn't taken into account when deciding a play, it's not making use of use differenting skills very well.

On the flip side, plays should not be telegraphed by inserting certain players that make the play-calling that much more obvious in certain situations. If Tedford said that CJA wasn't in because it would telegraph a run up the middle, that's a somewhat better response. Though if the coaches ever thought that way, why not be two steps ahead of the defense and put the bruiser in, fake the handoff, roll out and have 2 pass options and a run option. or something.