Thread: How much pistol will we see this thurs?

no bear

How much pistol will we see this thurs?

we saw quite a bit against fresno and every game since we seem to be using less and less. is this due to opponent or due to tedford going back to his favorite blanky?

Personally, i wouldn't expect it, its been all over Oregon sites that their D coordinator has been game planning to stop any direct plays that involve Maynard running, including zone reads and option plays. As far as using Maynard's mobility I would just expect him to run more when he scrambles instead of throwing an incomplete pass right before he crosses the line of scrimmage.

True Blue Golden Bear BeachyBear's Avatar
    Given that this is Oregon's bread and butter, I think the pistol would backfire on us in this game. A better option would be to hand off a lot more to CJA.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post
    we saw quite a bit against fresno and every game since we seem to be using less and less. is this due to opponent or due to tedford going back to his favorite blanky?
    If the Pistol works, then we woulnd't see it much- just like what's happened since Fresno.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post
    I expect to see a lot of pistols among the UO fans and players.

I have been baffled by the lack of read option plays

since the Fresno game. Just because teams plan on stopping it doesn't mean we can't run it. Is Oregon going to abandon their read option plays? If we run it correctly it will work. The only way Oregon stops it (if we are executing) bringing an extra man in the box. If that happens we audible to a pass. We all know it's not that tricky it just involves executing a few good schemes well. Bridgford showed he won't be a basket case if Maynard goes down so I say take advantage of Maynard's abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by 82gradDLSdad View Post
    since the Fresno game. Just because teams plan on stopping it doesn't mean we can't run it. Is Oregon going to abandon their read option plays? If we run it correctly it will work. The only way Oregon stops it (if we are executing) bringing an extra man in the box. If that happens we audible to a pass. We all know it's not that tricky it just involves executing a few good schemes well. Bridgford showed he won't be a basket case if Maynard goes down so I say take advantage of Maynard's abilities.
    i'm wondering if the pistol package we saw against Fresno State was a form of resource allocation strategy by tedford. unlike the NFL, college programs only have a limited number of hours to gameplan for opponents. by showing that we have the pistol in our arsenal (bad pun intended), we're forcing opposing DC's to allocate resources to defending such a package instead of focusing on other facets of our offense. this diversion is resources by opposing defenses is probably a net positive, even if we never run the pistol this season again (assuming that we didn't spend more resources in actually installing the package in the first place).

whether the pistol is a package that we SHOULD run more often, i don't have the football know-how to say... but it does seem like a bad package to run against an oregon defense that sees a similar offense in practice week in and week out...

IANAOC, but I think the effectiveness of the read option has to do with whether the defense is set up to defend it, not just how familiar the defenders are with it generally. Depending on how Oregon is lining up to defend us, the pistol and read option may be an effective choice.

I am hoping against hope that Tedford has a new wrinkle for Oregon in his pocket in case we get stymied on offense. He's shown a lot of different looks the past 4 games and I like a lot of what he's been doing, but I think he's been protecting Maynard more than he should (in terms of making him a passer instead of a runner) and being far too conservative in use of personnel. This is the game to break out the big guns - let Bigelow see some time as a wide out running deep seam routes to create space underneath for KA and MJ, get CJA more involved, and bring back the occasional screen pass to hold back the pass rush. Would also like to Miller get some more looks as he was an effective receiver earlier in the season.

I don't know why, maybe I'm just a glutton for disappointment, but I think that Tedford will try to do things a bit differently this game. This is the number one game this year where Tedford should go out on a limb and try to innovate. We're playing with the house's money and even if creates more risk, let's show recruits and everyone watching nationally that we're not going down without a fight.

no bear

Gosh, "Tedford go out on a limb", that would be a novel happening alright....It appears to be my unfortunate duly as a friend, friend Unit2Sucks, that after reading your post I really do thin kthat you are indeed a "glutton for disappointment....burp...oh excuse me......

Quote Originally Posted by Unit2Sucks View Post
    IANAOC, but I think the effectiveness of the read option has to do with whether the defense is set up to defend it, not just how familiar the defenders are with it generally. Depending on how Oregon is lining up to defend us, the pistol and read option may be an effective choice.

I am hoping against hope that Tedford has a new wrinkle for Oregon in his pocket in case we get stymied on offense. He's shown a lot of different looks the past 4 games and I like a lot of what he's been doing, but I think he's been protecting Maynard more than he should (in terms of making him a passer instead of a runner) and being far too conservative in use of personnel. This is the game to break out the big guns - let Bigelow see some time as a wide out running deep seam routes to create space underneath for KA and MJ, get CJA more involved, and bring back the occasional screen pass to hold back the pass rush. Would also like to Miller get some more looks as he was an effective receiver earlier in the season.

I don't know why, maybe I'm just a glutton for disappointment, but I think that Tedford will try to do things a bit differently this game. This is the number one game this year where Tedford should go out on a limb and try to innovate. We're playing with the house's money and even if creates more risk, let's show recruits and everyone watching nationally that we're not going down without a fight.
    I'm on the fence about this one... i agree tedford needs to be risky and innovative against superior opponents to make up the talent deficit we have against the likes of Oregon and (ugh) Stanfurd.

tedford has been more conservative than usual these past few years against superior opponents, but i think it may have to do with his lack of trust in his qb's more than anything. we had that trick play against USC a couple years ago where vereen ran to the edge of the sideline and was WIDE open... only to have riley throw it 10 feet above his head. and last year's oregon game, mansion was having a hard enough time completing simple passes, let alone executing trick plays or new schemes.

tedford doesn't have that excuse this year since we finally have a decent qb in maynard. i don't expect him to go les miles on us, but i do expect more risk-taking and innovative play-calling this thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by 68great View Post
    I expect to see a lot of pistols among the UO fans and players.

Quote Originally Posted by LANYBear View Post
    I'm on the fence about this one... i agree tedford needs to be risky and innovative against superior opponents to make up the talent deficit we have against the likes of Oregon and (ugh) Stanfurd.

tedford has been more conservative than usual these past few years against superior opponents, but i think it may have to do with his lack of trust in his qb's more than anything. we had that trick play against USC a couple years ago where vereen ran to the edge of the sideline and was WIDE open... only to have riley throw it 10 feet above his head. and last year's oregon game, mansion was having a hard enough time completing simple passes, let alone executing trick plays or new schemes.

tedford doesn't have that excuse this year since we finally have a decent qb in maynard. i don't expect him to go les miles on us, but i do expect more risk-taking and innovative play-calling this thursday.
    Yeah - still mad about that Vereen overthrow. I'm not just talking about a few trick plays here and there, I'm thinking of the type of offense we threw at Stanford in 2008 where we used a ton of misdirection to capitalize on the furd's overpursuit with one trick play (the hook and lateral with Tucker and Best) but mostly just a well designed game plan. I don't know what we can do against Oregon's defense, but they're certainly not infallible and our offense is more productive than it's been in several years. If we can keep the pressure on them by keeping their defense on their heels, turn them into a passing team, and if DT is having a poor passing night - we can win this game.