Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the current Tedford regime really any better than Holmoe?

Is the current Tedford regime really any better than Holmoe?

I'm looking at Cal under Holmoe's record in 1998, 5-6 overall and 3-5 conference. Last year we were 5-7. This year we might not win 3 conference games.

Yes, I know that I am comparing the best Holmoe year to the worst couple of Tedford's years.....BUT STILL!!!!

We used to beat USC under Holmoe, now we never beat them. I remember a game against SC in the late 90's when we were down 30 pts, then came back and WON. A Tedford team will never be able to do that.

I don't know if it's selective memory or what...but despite a lot of losing back then, I seem to remember fewer blowout loses under Holmoe vs. Tedford.

Yes, under Tedford in the beginning we beat Stanfurd and Washington for a few years, but now that capability is gone too. Oregon, Stan, Washington, and USC are guaranteed loses now.

The way Tedford is leading this program, he is heading in the direction of Holmoe and Gilby. But he's not quite there and I hope he turns back from the abyss.

Quote Originally Posted by HaasBear04 View Post
    Shutup nega.
    That's constructive.

Negativity doesn't do any "good" so everyone just shut your pieholes until tedford leads us to the promised land.

Yes. Good Lord, yes.

I don't expect Tedford to turn things around. But he's still better than Holmoe.

Hell No. Holmoe is such a bad coach and mental midget that he put Cal ON PROBATION while LOSING. Tedford is exponentially better than Holmoe.

This thread is the final nail in the coffin: The inmates are now running the asylum.

(The fact that I am participating in it makes me one of them.)

True Blue Golden Bear Phantomfan's Avatar
    Negativity doesn't do any "good" so everyone just shut your pieholes until tedford leads us to the promised land.
    lulz...

Maybe in 2012 we will go on probation because someone made a $.75 phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
    Is the current Tedford regime really any better than Holmoe?
    Yes, and it's not close. But it doesn't matter because he appears to be comically overmatched in 2011.

Sarcasm or for serious? I can't even tell anymore

cal4life
    I went to Cal at the start of the Holmoe era. 3-8, 5-6, 4-7, 3-8. However, we beat USC 3 of 4 years in my time at college. Little did I know that would become an impossibility down the road.

According to Sagarin

Cal Rankings in Sagarin Nationally and in the Pac-10

Holmoe's Last Four Years
    1998 #53 #8
    1999 #64 #8
    2000 #61 #10
    2001 #115 #10

Tedford's First Five Years
    2002 #20 #5
    2003 #29 #4
    2004 #2 #2
    2005 #28 #5
    2006 #6 #2

Tedford's Last Five Years
    2007 #31 #6
    2008 #16 #5
    2009 #52 #8
    2010 #27 #5
    2011 #49 #7

So no, Holmoe was mediocre to horrible. Tedford has produced two excellent years (2004 and 2006) and eight mediocre, middle of the Pac-10/12 years. Tedford is clearly better than Holmoe (about as a low a bar as you can set though).

That doesn't include Tedford's excellent results in grad rates and academic progress. Holmoe even sucked in that area too.
    Last edited by calumnus; 10-15-2011 at 10:06 PM.

This year is not over yet , we're probably the 9th best team (ucla, osu and Colorado r worse)

True Blue Golden Bear LethalFang's Avatar
    Tedford might've lost it. Holmoe never had it.
    Holmoe is Cal's most incompetent and under-qualified coach ever.

Tedford is conservative. Holmoe was downright bizarre, i.e., faking onside kick every single time, but never actually does it. I'm glad he never does it. What kind of moron will alert the opposing coverage team that an onside kick might be coming, if you want to surprise them with one? That's so stoooooopid!

Quote Originally Posted by cal4life View Post
    I went to Cal at the start of the Holmoe era. 3-8, 5-6, 4-7, 3-8. However, we beat USC 3 of 4 years in my time at college. Little did I know that would become an impossibility down the road.
    Ya think Paul Hackett being SC's coach from 1998-200 has anything to do with it....I think JT would have beaten a Hackett team too....JT started in 2002 which was Pete Carroll's 2nd year....for several years until his last couple of years, he beat EVERYONE with the occasional outlier...JT just came in during a time when USC was more dominant than any other time in their history I believe...