Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The season is halfway done. What are your expectations/goals for the second half?

The season is halfway done. What are your expectations/goals for the second half?

-Make a bowl. Don't care how, just do it. If that means we have to upset ASU in the last game of the season, fine. Whatever. My personal target is 7-5, which would mean winning against UCLA, Oregon State, Utah, and Washington State. Do-able.
    -Less beating ourselves. Please. Penalties are okay when a team is still feeling itself out, but by this point, it's just demoralizing how many mental mistakes we continue to make.
    -A competitive showing against Stanford.
    -Improvement from Maynard, especially if Tedford plans to stick with him next year. And if he doesn't improve, then I want to see extended action from Bridgford.
    -Continued improvement from the young OLBs, who HAVE to set the edge/run contain better, as well as finish sacks more often
    -Hopefully, more of a role in the offense for Bigelow by the end of the season
    -More consistency on 3rd down.

The Season is over. Looking forward to Basketball.

Not interested in making a minor bowl. What does it prove? Nothing?

You wait, the ebst we can do is the Emerald Bowl and that game time is exactly the same as the Cal UCLA basketball game at HAAS. That means the Bowl will get 2-3000 less Cal fans if that happens. And the basketball game is fixed by TV and won't change.

Quote Originally Posted by oskidunker View Post
    Not interested in making a minor bowl. What does it prove? Nothing?

You wait, the ebst we can do is the Emerald Bowl and that game time is exactly the same as the Cal UCLA basketball game at HAAS. That means the Bowl will get 2-3000 less Cal fans if that happens. And the basketball game is fixed by TV and won't change.
    I'd say it proves a marginal improvement over last year, where we didn't make a bowl at all.

Progress. Somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAndGold View Post
    The season is halfway done. What are your expectations/goals for the second half?
    More of the same. Another 3 wins and 3 losses. Actually I think 4 of the remaining games are winnable, but you gotta figure Giorgio will miss a chip shot, or an official will steal a game from us somewhere along the way. This is Cal football after all.

And yeah, that is an improvement over last year. Which is something given the trough in recruiting that occurred ~3 years ago. Even a minor bowl is big deal this year. It's not about the TV time. It's about having a month of extra practice time - which is a huge deal for a young team.

Finishing with a 10-3 record.

3-3 would be expected. Then end 7-6 with a bowl win in a bowl.

Win 3 out of 4
    Utah
    UCLA
    Oregon St.
    Washington St.

Win 0 out of 2
    Stanford
    Arizona St.

Any worse means we are really screwed at 5-7 or 4-8.
    Win 4 out of 6, means we won all the games we should have and lost every game we should have...

.500 please, w a competitive game vs the furd.

Expectations: Win three more games and go to a lowly bowl (losing horribly to Furd).

Goals: Win every game (including a shut out against Furd) and go to a middling bowl.

Hoping for things that convinces me that this season isn't as bad as last year.

1) An upset (ASU or Stanford)
    2) Be competitive with Stanford
    3) Develop a quarterback
    4) Stop the stupid mistakes
    5) Attack, attack, attack.

My hope is 4-2. I have absolutely no idea how realistic that is. I have no idea how this team will respond to the last few games. I only feel sure about KA!!! The rest????????????

the_purple_drank
    Play competitive football on a week-to-week basis, which I saw progress from game-to-game until SC on Thursday.

Improvements along the offensive line (which actually has come a long, LONG way since the season started) and the defense (which I feel has gotten better, especially with Jalil, McCain, and McClure getting more and more time. They're playing like juniors at this point).

Improvements from Maynard-- the big ???, frankly. If he plays moderately well Cal wins the next 4 games. He played subpar football against Fresno State and CU, but the offense still got it done.

I hear about new wrinkles being installed on a week-to-week basis, but frankly I haven't seen it.

expectations for the 2nd half of the season

a win over utah. give stanford and arizona state competitive games. could care less about going to a toilet bowl.

5 wins including a bowl. Set the foundation for next year, which could be a banner year.

Goal: To achieve a respectful record and descent bowl game.

Expectation: 5-7 and then wait for Rugby.

Step 1 - Win over Utah
    Step 2 - Consistent improvement as the year progresses

Step 1 and Step 2 both happen that means we'll be celebrating a bowl victory.

It also means we'll give Stanford one heck of a fight.

~MrGPAC