Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 125

Thread: Serious Recruiting Problem

  1. #1

    Serious Recruiting Problem

    I don't want to sound so pessimistic but at this point I see Wallace choosing CU. In fact we are being out recruited by the entire PAC-12 (even Wazzou and the Beavers) for the better part of a year now. Even players that we thought we had a great shot at landing are going elsewhere (Verhoeven). What gives? There has got to be some reason for this other then dirty tactics, Kids thinking they will go to Arizona win a Nat. Championship and then go pro in 2-3 years and the more difficult coarseload of CAL academics. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfield9 View Post
    I don't want to sound so pessimistic but at this point I see Wallace choosing CU. In fact we are being out recruited by the entire PAC-12 (even Wazzou and the Beavers) for the better part of a year now. Even players that we thought we had a great shot at landing are going elsewhere (Verhoeven). What gives? There has got to be some reason for this other then dirty tactics, Kids thinking they will go to Arizona win a Nat. Championship and then go pro in 2-3 years and the more difficult coarseload of CAL academics. Any ideas?
    lol. welcome. i was wondering if anyone was going to mention this, glad someone finally did. maybe our recruiting is no good because monty is too busy winning Pac-10 soon to be Pac-12 championships

  3. #3

    Likely to land some nice bigs

    Compared to UofA, the rest of the conference and Cal are whistling Dixie.

  4. #4

    this coarseload you speak of

    that's the crux of the problem. Word up


  5. #5
    It would just be nice to see CAL put a fence around its backyard, and pull some homegrown bay talent like we used to.

  6. #6
    All the great local players play AAU basketball and they know if they go to CAL they're expected to play three or four years. However if they go to Arizona or UCLA they will play as freshmen and it's assumend they will only stay there one or two years. The elite players don't want an education, they want an NBA paycheck and the sooner the better!

  7. #7
    Between this year and last year UofA has landed 4 top tier Power Forwards.
    I would think that definitely S. Johnson and possibly A. Chol minutes will be drastically reduced with Ashley and Jerrett coming on board. Many of these kids are being sold a false dream. Why can't they see this. Im sure UofA will land another top notch PF for 2013 as well. There will be no 2-3 years and to the NBA with a hand full of $$$ for a couple of these guys.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bar20 View Post
    All the great local players play AAU basketball and they know if they go to CAL they're expected to play three or four years. However if they go to Arizona or UCLA they will play as freshmen and it's assumend they will only stay there one or two years. The elite players don't want an education, they want an NBA paycheck and the sooner the better!
    Sounds correct to me. But I still think we can win the league with less heralded kids who can be developed as they stay and try to graduate, so long as Monty is the coach. However, when Monty retires at some point, it will be hard to find another coach who can do it that way.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    Sounds correct to me. But I still think we can win the league with less heralded kids who can be developed as they stay and try to graduate, so long as Monty is the coach. However, when Monty retires at some point, it will be hard to find another coach who can do it that way.
    Not with the classes Arizona and UCLA are bringing in. Cal has to start getting better talent asap.

  10. #10
    Monty prefers four year players who want to be coached up. You guys prayed for Franklin and look what you got. I like Monty's approach. Just look at the improvement Smith has shown, and others as well. In college, it is a team sport!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by operbear View Post
    Monty prefers four year players who want to be coached up. You guys prayed for Franklin and look what you got. I like Monty's approach. Just look at the improvement Smith has shown, and others as well. In college, it is a team sport!

    This man knows what he's sayin.

    Go bears!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthebear View Post
    This man knows what he's sayin.

    Go bears!
    Please, if Smith is the example of the kind of four year players Cal needs, you are out of touch. 4 yr guys like Randle, Christopher, and Jorge, yes.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SFBearz View Post
    Not with the classes Arizona and UCLA are bringing in. Cal has to start getting better talent asap.
    UCLA barely beat Fullerton in a scrimmage. It was a closed scrimmage and Fullerton played without DJ and Amoke. UCLA's guard play is terrible and will cost them some games. Fullerton likes to run, but the front court of UCLA wore them down.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ayetee11 View Post
    UCLA barely beat Fullerton in a scrimmage. It was a closed scrimmage and Fullerton played without DJ and Amoke. UCLA's guard play is terrible and will cost them some games. Fullerton likes to run, but the front court of UCLA wore them down.
    I'm referring to UCLAs 2012 class which is still in high school. They are bringing in two of the top 5 players in the country.

  15. #15
    Our crosstown Rival Furd has brought in better 4 year talent then we have this year and last year. Johnny Dawkins Really! Wait they have as high of academics as we do. Dawkins is inferior in coaching to Monty, and the Farm is bringing in solid 4 year talent. This is what im questioning. You keep talking about 4 year guys, well Stanfords landing them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •