Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Recruiting Problem

Quote Originally Posted by goldfield9 View Post
    Our crosstown Rival Furd has brought in better 4 year talent then we have this year and last year. Johnny Dawkins Really! Wait they have as high of academics as we do. Dawkins is inferior in coaching to Monty, and the Farm is bringing in solid 4 year talent. This is what im questioning. You keep talking about 4 year guys, well Stanfords landing them.
    +1

Man Hands
    Quote Originally Posted by operbear View Post
    Monty prefers four year players who want to be coached up. You guys prayed for Franklin and look what you got. I like Monty's approach. Just look at the improvement Smith has shown, and others as well. In college, it is a team sport!
    Nobody prayed for Franklin. I think we thought he'd turn out a lot better than he has so far, but nobody was doing cartwheels when we got him, even given his high rating.

Monty prefers four year players who want to be coached up. You guys prayed for Franklin and look what you got. I like Monty's approach. Just look at the improvement Smith has shown, and others as well. In college, it is a team sport!
    Last year all that teamwork and grittiness led to a birth in the NIT. Need more talent.

Sluggo

Quote Originally Posted by goldfield9 View Post
    Our crosstown Rival Furd has brought in better 4 year talent then we have this year and last year. Johnny Dawkins Really! Wait they have as high of academics as we do. Dawkins is inferior in coaching to Monty, and the Farm is bringing in solid 4 year talent. This is what im questioning. You keep talking about 4 year guys, well Stanfords landing them.
    Dawkins is a much better recruiter than Montgomery or anyone on his staff. Montgomery is definitely a far superior coach.

Who is the last player that Cal sent to the NBA? Leon Powe, who is a fringe player at best? Recently, Stanford has sent the Lopez twins and Landry Fields. If you want to go back a little further, you can include Josh Childress.

Quote Originally Posted by BowDowntoWashington View Post
    Dawkins is a much better recruiter than Montgomery or anyone on his staff. Montgomery is definitely a far superior coach.

Who is the last player that Cal sent to the NBA?
    Ryan Anderson. I do not think either coach has sent one of their own recruits to the NBA, unless you go back to when Monty was with the 'furds.

Quote Originally Posted by BowDowntoWashington View Post

Who is the last player that Cal sent to the NBA? Leon Powe, who is a fringe player at best? Recently, Stanford has sent the Lopez twins and Landry Fields. If you want to go back a little further, you can include Josh Childress.
    Well that comment made about as much sense in a conversation about the current Cal and former Furd coach as being excited about a U of W undergraduate degree.

But I digress.

Lets embrace the hopeful upside that AC stays another year. Ditto Solomon. Now we have 2 HUGE seniors to replace in 2013 but I like our chances if we start from the perspective of building around AC and RS. Early indications are that Cobbs can put points on the score board. In my mind that makes THIS year the critical one - some young talent - especially in the front court, that can get minutes.

Monty has been pretty clear and candid about his criticisms of the past regime - that Braun was not about building a PROGRAM. There really wasn't a long term master plan that focused on how Frosh could turn into monsters by their Junior and Senior seasons - the hallmark of MM's Snotfurd teams.

And least we forget in all our bemoaning of the talent that UofA is assembling lets see.....

A) Can they avoid la second loss to an NAIA team.
    B) Can they find a way to distribute minutes to all this talent in a way that actually keeps everyone happy and the club house functioning.

As any NBA coach or commentator will tell you, B is perhaps the hardest thing there is to accomplish and can turn a team of superstars into a really nasty and underperforming clubhouse. Sean Miller hasn't shown that he can do that - so lets see him manage all the talent that is coming

(And BTW - Lets see how Howland does in respect to "adjusting" his style to players who may not fully buy into the whole "grab and grope" Big East Style)

I am willing to be MORE than critical about JT. His track "record" is frankly pedestrian and open to tremendous criticism. But I just don't think you can do this with MM and . Heck, when was a BB team ever picked to finish first in the conference. had 2 players on the Naissmith watch list, and the front runner for PAC POY?

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    Well that comment made about as much sense in a conversation about the current Cal and former Furd coach as being excited about a U of W undergraduate degree.

But I digress.
    Seems to be a common theme amongst the lower quality posters here.

When you can't make a legitimate argument, change the subject and resort to academic smack talk. Pretty pathetic.

drunkoski
    monty didn't recruit franklin? what about crabbe? he ain't a 4 year player. it seems pretty obvious monty will take said players if they want to come to cal, but currently many do not.

Basketball UCLA has more talented bigs than anyone in the Pac 12?

It is shocking that Cal cannot even make a final five for top Northern California recruits. De La Salle is the one pipeline for the Bears that I can think of...

Virtually, every other athletic team at Cal recruits very competitively including women's bball. It's mind-boggling to me because the men's team won the conference two years ago and was solid last season in a rebuilding year. This season Cal has been chosen 2nd in the Pac 12 by the media?

San Jose's Aaron Gordon (Mitty) is perhaps the best CCS player of the modern era (better than his brother) yet Cal could not garner serious consideration from him. He could be the second Jason Kidd and become a Bay Area legend by staying home but nada...Bishop O'Dowd's Brandon Ashley is another example.
    The 6'8" stud Simmons from Salesian who chose Washington the year before last. The point guard, Artis, pledging to Oregon ad infinitum...

Cal seemingly passed on Oregon State's star guard Cunningham (NCS star) and Ernie Kent (see interview) feels he one of the conference's elite players.

Dumbfounding!
    GO BEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by wifeisafurd View Post
    Compared to UofA, the rest of the conference and Cal are whistling Dixie.
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 11-02-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Your lack of knowledge about Cal players in the NBA -- Anderson and the 'fringe' guy who was a key reason the C's won a title a couple years back -- shows that your argument is uninformed at best. Who's pathetic now?

Quote Originally Posted by ayetee11 View Post
    UCLA barely beat Fullerton in a scrimmage. It was a closed scrimmage and Fullerton played without DJ and Amoke. UCLA's guard play is terrible and will cost them some games. Fullerton likes to run, but the front court of UCLA wore them down.
    Why didn't DJ nor Amondi play?

Quote Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post
    monty didn't recruit franklin? what about crabbe? he ain't a 4 year player. it seems pretty obvious monty will take said players if they want to come to cal, but currently many do not.
    Welcome back.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brj1 View Post
    that's the crux of the problem. Word up

No joke after Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice decided to go to Wharton for his MBA.

Check that. He didn't go to Wharton, he sucks:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/u...00213/p/1.html
    Last edited by KoreAmBear; 11-02-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo_Cal View Post
    Last year all that teamwork and grittiness led to a birth in the NIT. Need more talent.

Sluggo
    Not bad for a team in a rebuilding year. Now they are picked to finish 1st or 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post
    Not saying that Monty won't recruit non-four year players, but neither of those guys were seriously slated for early departure when they committed to Cal.

I think what Monty takes exception to, is recruiting players that feel they would only be marking time while in college.