Thread: Texas 61 Cal 60

Texas 61 Cal 60

Lead for 39 minutes of the game... tough loss.

Texas was much sharper down the stretch.... they deserve that win more than we do.
    Last edited by CalFanatic; 11-26-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Humph. Get it tomorrow. Go Bears!

Critical turnovers down the stretch with the game hanging in the balance...can't expect to beat a solid team like Texas when that happens. 23 turnovers in total...gotta clean it up. Nonetheless, a gritty effort against a quality opponent is always a welcome sight. Take care of business tomorrow against Virginia!

Definitely have to clean it up. The travels/turnovers, fouls etc. in the last 10 minutes came back to really hurt Cal. We were up 45-35 with about 8 to go...

I just returned from the game that came down to the last second to decide the winner. Texas bothered us with its pressing defense in the second half. We were in the bonus situation midway through the second half, but we missed a lot of free throws. We need to run more set plays where Justine Hartman can take the jumper from around the free throw line where she is very effective. Texas did that with one of its bigs and she hit 3 or 4 from that range. With Brittany Boyd fouling out, it was up to Layshia Clarendon to take the last shot on a drive which, unfortunately, didn't drop. Cal needs to have Brittany in the game at crunch time because, of all the guards, she can penetrate and draw the foul.

Thanks, SanseiBear;

Quote Originally Posted by SanseiBear View Post
    I just returned from the game that came down to the last second to decide the winner. Texas bothered us with its pressing defense in the second half. We were in the bonus situation midway through the second half, but we missed a lot of free throws. We need to run more set plays where Justine Hartman can take the jumper from around the free throw line where she is very effective. Texas did that with one of its bigs and she hit 3 or 4 from that range. With Brittany Boyd fouling out, it was up to Layshia Clarendon to take the last shot on a drive which, unfortunately, didn't drop. Cal needs to have Brittany in the game at crunch time because, of all the guards, she can penetrate and draw the foul.
    nice to have a summary from an eyewitness and to know that such a hard-core Cal fan was in the audience.

I kept wondering where Justine, with her silky jump shot, was, but another thread pointed out the need to take care of Justine and Gen as they recover from their injuries.

I think it was Park who said during the post-game interview that it was good for the team to get such a difficult game under their belts (elastic?) before the conference season begins, and that makes sense to me.

HC Gottlieb rotated her four bigs with pretty much the same amount of playing time, 20 minutes each. As an aside, I spoke with Erika Johnson's parents about the visit to Hawaii and their daughter's decision to come to Cal. Her dad Anthony was a 6' 6" guard who after graduating from Drake played a number of years in European pro basketball. Her mom Andrea is a professional civil engineer with a master's degree from UW. They are tremendously personable people. We even did the "GO BEARS" yell several times because there were a number of Cal fans on both sides of the court. It was a fun day, except for the final score!

Thoughts from afar

I found it interesting, in reviewing the box score, that the rotation has tightened up a bit - which, we had to figure it would. I imagine it will some more as time with these players goes on and we see the rotations that work better.

We already have seen that Cohen and Johnson are last in the rotation, and this tough game showed only 2 minutes for Lyles and 18 for Pierre. It appears she has indeed lost her starting PG spot to Boyd.

I'm sure Pierre will continue to play lots, and someone already pointed out that it would have been nice to have Boyd available for the last shot. However, she had just fouled out. I imagine Pierre could have played some more and kept Boyd in the game to the end. I imagine Coach G is thinking the same thing.

However, it's clear that she's going with:

1) Boyd - Haven't hardly seen her play, but she appears to give us tons of what we needed. The stats are looking pretty good across the board, and for a freshman PG? Are you kidding me?? I LOVE the 80% free throws! I'm hoping the shooting improves from 3-pt land.

2) Clarendon - she hasn't hit her stride yet. I see a shooting percentage of 38%. That needs to improve in order for Cal to be the team we think it can be.

3) then there appears to be split time, or at least I'm wondering how it's going to shake out, at the SF between Jemerigbe and Sherbert. Sherbert was the incumbent starter from last year, but Foo has taken it over the past few games. Yet it was Sherbert with many more minutes, way more shots and points scored. So, this will continue to be interesting to watch. Both have lower shooting %'s than Clarendon. This needs to improve for Cal to be the team we think it can be.

4) and 5) The rotation of the bigs: The older girls, Brandon and Caldwell, have been getting the starts, but the freshman look like that are right on their heels with tons of promise. Nobody in the group shoots the ball like Hartman. Nobody seems to be the rebounder that Brandon is. Talia is the vet with the most experience and by far the most offensive boards. And Gray appears to simply be a fantastic do everything player that leads the team in scoring with 12.6 pts at just 17.2 minutes per game. While I expect all four to play tons this season, I'm guessing the minutes will sort out more unbalanced here than they currently are amongst all four, and am interested to see how Coach G leans as they develop.

I had thought the team might play at times with multiple guards and get out and run on folks, but instead it appears they are more apt to play with bigs and pound people all the time.

I really like this team a lot. Is it really true that we get them ALL back next year??? Awesome!

The Bears certainly are a promising tea for the futerm, but, more importantly, they're good enough to win now. Razor-thin losses to Texas on a neutral court, and to Rutgers at their home, clearly demonstrate how copetitive and capable the Bears are this season. Tough games against top competition in the pre-conference games is preparing this young and talented team for the grinding Pac XII and beyond. Lindsay and staff need to coach-out the bad habits that contributed to both the Texas and Rutgers losses. The maturation process should come rapidly under Lindsay and her staff, who should also help the Bears pick-up their shotmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by concordtom View Post
    1) Boyd - Haven't hardly seen her play, but she appears to give us tons of what we needed. The stats are looking pretty good across the board, and for a freshman PG? Are you kidding me?? I LOVE the 80% free throws! I'm hoping the shooting improves from 3-pt land.

2) Clarendon - she hasn't hit her stride yet. I see a shooting percentage of 38%. That needs to improve in order for Cal to be the team we think it can be.
    Boyd really has been playing well but thought she needed to not be so aggressive after having drawn her 4th foul. I realize this is her style but losing her was big which meant too much burden on Layshia in the last couple of minutes. With Eliza in..Texas just backed off of her and concentrate on the others players.

This really would had been a 'statement' game if we had pulled it out! Even though we had so much TO..it is expected with lots of young players, the style of play, and many different player combinations coach Lindsay is using.

Brittany ran into a high post screen for her 5th foul

Quote Originally Posted by OBear073akaSMFan View Post
    Boyd really has been playing well but thought she needed to not be so aggressive after having drawn her 4th foul. I realize this is her style but losing her was big which meant too much burden on Layshia in the last couple of minutes.
    when she knocked down the big Texas center, IIRC. I would think it's the responsibility of the person guarding the opposing center to call out the screen, and maybe she did but Brittany was so intent to follow the oposing player. I like the way she penetrates, but our bigs have to be ready for the pass when she does.

I really like this team a lot. Is it really true that we get them ALL back next year??? Awesome!
    Oh, yeah--all that talent! To be cautious, I sometimes remind myself: "Now, now--someone might get injured." but, really, having several strong bench players is wonderful; no more tensing up when a starter leaves the court.

(And to think that they're just going to improve. Imagine Hartman in a couple of years...)

Is it really true that we get them ALL back next year???
    Yes, for the third consecutive year we have a young team. We're again depending on freshmen - after 5 games our top 3 scorers are freshmen and freshmen have played 30% of our minutes. At least next year I won't be able to whine about freshmen.

We're also breaking in a coach who's not exactly new either to Cal or to the profession, but who's a big change from the previous coach.

We're good right now, and we'll be much better by the end of the season. Next year should be outstanding!