Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No UCLA waiver - Holiday Bowl likely for us

No UCLA waiver - Holiday Bowl likely for us

NCAA bylaws state that only teams who "have an equal or greater number of wins than losses" can qualify for a bowl. A team can have a losing record and go to a bowl only if they are the conference champion, and only if the NCAA votes to grant a waiver.

With Stanfurd's win over Notre Dame, they may go to the BCS. If Oregon wins next week, UCLA will be 6-7 and ineligible for a bowl. The likely bowl selections are:

Rose - Oregon
    BCS - Stanfurd
    Alamo - Washington
    Holiday - Cal *
    Sun - Arizona State **
    Vegas - Utah **

* The Holiday could pick Cal, Utah, or Arizona State. Cal has provided excellent attendance at Holiday Bowls in the past and is the logical choice geographically.

** The Sun Bowl would want Arizona State, as they are the best choice geographically. Ditto for the Vegas Bowl and Utah.

There would be no additional Pac-12 teams that are eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by rrhea View Post
    NCAA bylaws state that only teams who "have an equal or greater number of wins than losses" can qualify for a bowl. A team can have a losing record and go to a bowl only if they are the conference champion, and only if the NCAA votes to grant a waiver.

With Stanfurd's win over Notre Dame, they may go to the BCS. If Oregon wins next week, UCLA will be 6-7 and ineligible for a bowl. The likely bowl selections are:

Rose - Oregon
    BCS - Stanfurd
    Alamo - Washington
    Holiday - Cal *
    Sun - Arizona State **
    Vegas - Utah **

* The Holiday could pick Cal, Utah, or Arizona State. Cal has provided excellent attendance at Holiday Bowls in the past and is the logical choice geographically.

** The Sun Bowl would want Arizona State, as they are the best choice geographically. Ditto for the Vegas Bowl and Utah.

There would be no additional Pac-12 teams that are eligible.
    Are you saying UCLA wouldn't even qualify for the waiver if they lose the championship game?

Do we even bother going through the exercise of what happens if they beat the ducks?

Quote Originally Posted by ebag08 View Post
    i think rrhea is right. the petition for a "waiver" that everybody is talking about is only available to "conference champions" and not just to any team that finishes under .500. i could be wrong in my understanding of the bylaws though.
    The other case would be if there aren't enough eligible teams to fill all 70 bowl slots, but this year there are already 70 with a few more having a chance to become eligible next week.

When do the bowls make their selections?

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    i think rrhea is right. the petition for a "waiver" that everybody is talking about is only available to "conference champions" and not just to any team that finishes under .500. i could be wrong in my understanding of the bylaws though.
    What about "champions of half of a BDW conference"?

I'll take it. Thanks to Stanford for making the BCS and USC for being USC, we get to go to a decent bowl this year.

i don't believe the BDW conferences are included. crazy, i know. that's the BCS for ya.
    For all the major flaws in the bowl system, this may be the greatest abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBear323 View Post
    When do the bowls make their selections?
    Probably they do it next week when ESPN tries to do the football version of the NCAA basketball Selection Sunday thing. It has all the drama of an infomercial; they just need the fake audience to go "wow!".

It's not for conference champs. It's for teams with losing records who lose their conference title games. UCLA will get a waiver, but they will be the last Pac-12 team to fill a bowl slot.

Rose - Oregon v. Wisky
    Fiesta - Furd v. Okie State
    Alamo - Wash v. KS State
    Holiday - Cal v. Texas
    Sun - ASU v. GA Tech
    KFH - UCLA v. Miami

Question - Why is everyone "conceding" the Alamo Bowl to the Huskies? The bowl committee can pick whoever they want. Why not Cal? We have looked damn good on national TV recently and the program has "energy" and "momentum" per Craig James. Does UW have a much better rep for travel than Cal?

Quote Originally Posted by BerlinerBaer View Post
    Rose - Oregon v. Wisky
    Alamo - Wash v. KS State
    Holiday - Cal v. Texas
    Sun - ASU v. GA Tech
    KFH - UCLA v. Miami
    You are forgetting one bowl and one Pac-12 team:

Las Vegas - Utah v. ______ (TCU???)

Quote Originally Posted by BerlinerBaer View Post
    Rose - Oregon v. Wisky
    Alamo - Wash v. KS State
    Holiday - Cal v. Texas
    Sun - ASU v. GA Tech
    KFH - UCLA v. Miami
    Didn't Miami say that they were removing themselves from bowl consideration due to the ongoing NCAA investigation?

no bear
    Quote Originally Posted by txwharfrat View Post
    Question - Why is everyone "conceding" the Alamo Bowl to the Huskies? The bowl committee can pick whoever they want. Why not Cal? We have looked damn good on national TV recently and the program has "energy" and "momentum" per Craig James. Does UW have a much better rep for travel than Cal?
    I don't get this either. Do they have a better conference record?