Thread: Singular most important improvement with ZM

Singular most important improvement with ZM

Maynard throwing lateral passes with accuracy and velocity, allowing the receivers to make critical short yards.

I would say not panicking when the play breaks down.

He doesn't seem to be zeroing on KA either. KA's numbers are down, yet the quality of our play seems to have been improving.

I'd say the ability to deal with the speed of Pac12/BCS teams, which I think explains the fewer (1) picks since UCLA.

I didn't see the last Fleener pass, but Luck basically was throwing 5 yard passes all night. His completion % on anything in the air more than 10 yards downfield was miserable. Point is, yep, ZM has gotten better at that and that is essential to being able to move the team. I don't like just dink and dunk, but if he can do that, then we'll do better downfield, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FingeroftheBear View Post
    I'd say the ability to deal with the speed of Pac12/BCS teams, which I think explains the fewer (1) picks since UCLA.
    yes...the game has slowed down enough for him to make the correct reads.... also distributing the ball to everyone and not panicking anymore by always throwing to KA21...it is a beautiful sight to see everyone involved.

You can't throw down the field all the time. A stout running game and dink and dunk keeps moving the chains and sets up the deep ball. Now, if ZM was a little more consistent helping the receiver keep his body between himself and the defender.............

Reduction of happy feet and over striding in his throws.

Being given plays that he can execute. In the first half of the season, JT gave him the full range of plays, maybe to evaluate him under fire. Once JT saw what he could and could not do, he scripted the game plans around those plays that he could do. Hats off to JT for ZM's "improvement."

ZM's improvement consisted primarily of being able to run the plays he does best, thereby getting better at those (from sheer repetition). Thanks to an improved OL for giving him the time and space to do it.

He already had other good qualities.

Toward the end of the season

maybe before the Utah or WSU game, Maynard started coming out 2 hours before the game and working on just this: looking down field and then throwing the ball out to the sideline. I've never seen a Cal QB starter do this, work out before the actual warmups. I've seen the second stringer do this but never the starter. I've also never seen this workout down under the watchful eye of the QB coach. Our QB coach was out there with Maynard. It had to be Maynard's idea otherwise the other QBs on the roster would get a bit ticked (I would assume) that the coach was just working with Maynard before the game. Anyway, this was great to see and it is even better to see that it paid off. I will also say that the reps were done with a pretty decent pace and not just half speed. That is important and like I said it paid off. Good for Maynard.

OL and running game took the pressure off of him

I vote for ALL of the above.

I don't think that it is really ONE singular change that has been made.
    But... JT has obviously shortened the playbook for him, and with a solid running game and protection from the O-line, Zach's feet aren't as "happy" as they were earlier on.

Nice to see him distribute the ball around.
    I admit, the "dink and dunk" stuff that Andrew Luck does at Stanford gets a bit boring to watch... but it really does MOVE THE CHAINS!

Quote Originally Posted by TrackLife View Post
    I vote for ALL of the above.

I don't think that it is really ONE singular change that has been made.
    But... JT has obviously shortened the playbook for him, and with a solid running game and protection from the O-line, Zach's feet aren't as "happy" as they were earlier on.

Nice to see him distribute the ball around.
    I admit, the "dink and dunk" stuff that Andrew Luck does at Stanford gets a bit boring to watch... but it really does MOVE THE CHAINS!
    I'm not short if the playbook was necessarily shortened as much as tailored more towards Maynard. Less under center pro-style stuff, more shotgun/spread stuff...dunno if that actually means less plays, or if it just means different plays.

Meeting a good looking woman in class.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMARIN View Post
    Now, if ZM was a little more consistent helping the receiver keep his body between himself and the defender.............
    that would be a pretty neat trick.