Thread: UNLV today

Real Bear

UNLV today

I don't know a thing about UNLV, but on paper this should be a good test for Cal as the Running Rebs come in with a 7-1 record. Their only loss is by 19 to #20 Georgetown. It looks like they have played all their games at home with the exception of one, a 10 point win at Iowa (5-2 currently). A win today will probably look good on the RPI resume come March...Go Bears!!!

Also, don't forget to root for #18 Ohio St. today as they take on #18 (tied) Oklahoma. We need the Buckeyes to be as highly ranked as possible when they roll into Haas on 12/17.

After that good win at Iowa, I was hopeful that UNLV would emerge as a high-quality opponent. Unfortunately they haven't been quite as impressive since then.

Their posts and wings can compete with us but after seeing them play yesterday, their guard play and offensive execution don't look strong enough to seriously challenge us.

The Sagarin Predictor forecasts a 17-point win for us. But that's misleading because UNLV's size makes them a more challenging matchup than other teams at the same level. I'd expect the game to be closer and it may stay close enough so that there will be no garbage time (i.e. no Erika or Avigiel).

Quote Originally Posted by WayneBear View Post
    The Sagarin Predictor forecasts a 17-point win for us. But that's misleading because UNLV's size makes them a more challenging matchup than other teams at the same level. I'd expect the game to be closer and it may stay close enough so that there will be no garbage time (i.e. no Erika or Avigiel).
    I'm sad to admit that I didn't realize Sagarin offered a predictor. Massey had us beating Bakersfield 91-64, which I suppose was accurate enough:

http://www.masseyratings.com/pred.ph...&s=179269&sub=

Nothing today about UNLV, though; perhaps Massey doesn't update for tournaments. The site does predict that the Furdettes will beat Fresno State by 20. That's a game I'd like to see. Maybe KiKi M. will step up and unleash 30 points.

True Blue Golden Bear

Basketball The Runnin' Rebels have 4 seniors & 2 juniors in top six players...(link)

http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/w-b.../teamcume.html

Lenita Sanford will lead UNLV (7-1) against Cal today. Sanford is 2nd in scoring behind a junior guard, Kelli Thompson, from LB Poly (13.8 ppg). The have a 6'2" PF & and backup 6'3" post, Markiel Styles, from Oakland.

http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/w-b...askbl-mtt.html

UNLV appears to be a strong rebounding team and not too good with ball-handling (sounds like da Bears). Suprisingly, senior Jamie Smith from Hawaii leads with 10.6 boards per game. Sanford has 7.5 rpg.

It should be an interesting contest this afternoon. The Runnin' Rebs appears to be athletic & balanced. In 8 games, UNLV has had six different leading scorers! Former Bruin HC, Kathy Olivier, & former Bruin star, Nikki Blue, will think they know Cal... I know that I would not like Cal to suffer their 3rd loss this early in the season...GO BEARS!
    Last edited by Schroeder71; 12-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Loyal Bear

UNLV didn't match up well against us

We out rebounded them 28 to 14 the first half and had 10 offensive rebounds to their 7 defensive rebounds. That encapsulated why were up by 20. Thompson was the only one who gave us problems. Had not seen her for a couple of years since when she played for Poly.

UNLV would have been dead in the water without Thompson, who scored 27 of their 48 points. Sanford wasn't much of a factor. Our offense wasn't clicking in the second half or the final score would have been much worse than 70-48.

Brittany led everybody with 9 boards and 9 assists - with better finishes the latter would have been well into double figures. Reshanda scored 23, which I believe is a career high. Our guards weren't shooting well, but the team's 23 for 31 on free throws is encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneBear View Post
    and it may stay close enough so that there will be no garbage time (i.e. no Erika or Avigiel).
    Not to be overly PC, but I imagine there might be another term you could apply. Pretty insulting to these young Bears when you refer to their opportunity to play as "garbage time."

Quote Originally Posted by CalWBBFan View Post
    Not to be overly PC, but I imagine there might be another term you could apply. Pretty insulting to these young Bears when you refer to their opportunity to play as "garbage time."
    This is a basketball board so I assume that readers know the term "garbage time" and understand that it is not disparaging to the players who are put in during that time of the game.

And it's ridiculous to suggest that I would say anything that is personally insulting to Erika and Avigiel. Go ahead and look back to the many things that I've said about those two, and you will see that my posts have been very understanding about the on-court difficulties that they face at this time in their careers. And whatever praise I have given them has not been generalities or blind cheerleading, but specific praise that they deserve, and specificity that is rarely if ever mentioned by others.

Anyway, I'm delighted that the team had a great game and that both had a chance to play in both games this weekend.
    Last edited by WayneBear; 12-04-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Loyal Bear

I think the correct term is

Oakland Scavenger Time. Without the recycling.

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    Oakland Scavenger Time. Without the recycling.
    Actually Oakland is served by Waste Management, which must mean the basketball situation could be described as Time Management.