Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Did we just land Armstead?

Thanks for your thoughts, AT. Nice to hear some actual commentary and opinions without mindless trash talk.

Appreciate the explanation Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalTrojan View Post
    Armond Armstead is scheduled to receive his USC degree this school year, so per NCAA rules he can transfer to another school and start right away. However, I do not know if this rule applies for conference opponents (or if the Pac-12 has a separate rule for it).

Armond is a very, very good player. He started for several years at SC. There were talks of him going to the NFL after his junior season at the end of 2010, and had he done so he probably would have been an early to mid round pick. He was forced to take a medical redshirt this year after his mysterious health situation but would have most likely been a starter otherwise.

Nobody outside of the football program knows exactly what Armond's health situation is and the conversations/negotiations that took place between the Armstead family and USC. It's an extremely frustrating situation for SC fans, and the only situation I can think of when a highly-rated junior who elected to return for his senior year ended up hurting his school.

Arik is a great player, but I wouldn't be bothered too much if he ends up at Cal. USC has lost many good recruits over the years and has still managed to do well, and we will still pull in a good recruiting class this year without Arik. Cal is a good school that is successful at putting defensive players in the NFL, so it would be a good choice for Arik. I wish him the best of luck if he goes to Cal.

I would absolutely hate to see Armond at Cal though, even for a year. He is well-liked by USC fans. His family, to the best of my knowledge, loved USC before the medical incident. I understand that the USC administration put his family in a bad situation, but something still has to be said about suiting up for a rival, especially at the college level where school loyalties approach tribal levels.

And as frustrated as I am with the whole incident, I'm still happy that our administration put the greater interests of the player and the school above that of the football program. We already had to go through this frustration once with Jarvis Jones transferring to Georgia after suffering an injury. It's a shitty situation to be in, but USC is much more than a football team.

"USC is much more than a football "

Arsenal, thanks for the level-headed, reasonable posts. it's nice to hear a trojan make sense once in a while.

Armond Armstead is scheduled to receive his USC degree this school year, so per NCAA rules he can transfer to another school and start right away. However, I do not know if this rule applies for conference opponents (or if the Pac-12 has a separate rule for it).

Armond is a very, very good player. He started for several years at SC. There were talks of him going to the NFL after his junior season at the end of 2010, and had he done so he probably would have been an early to mid round pick. He was forced to take a medical redshirt this year after his mysterious health situation but would have most likely been a starter otherwise.

Nobody outside of the football program knows exactly what Armond's health situation is and the conversations/negotiations that took place between the Armstead family and USC. It's an extremely frustrating situation for SC fans, and the only situation I can think of when a highly-rated junior who elected to return for his senior year ended up hurting his school.

Arik is a great player, but I wouldn't be bothered too much if he ends up at Cal. USC has lost many good recruits over the years and has still managed to do well, and we will still pull in a good recruiting class this year without Arik. Cal is a good school that is successful at putting defensive players in the NFL, so it would be a good choice for Arik. I wish him the best of luck if he goes to Cal.

I would absolutely hate to see Armond at Cal though, even for a year. He is well-liked by USC fans. His family, to the best of my knowledge, loved USC before the medical incident. I understand that the USC administration put his family in a bad situation, but something still has to be said about suiting up for a rival, especially at the college level where school loyalties approach tribal levels.

And as frustrated as I am with the whole incident, I'm still happy that our administration put the greater interests of the player and the school above that of the football program. We already had to go through this frustration once with Jarvis Jones transferring to Georgia after suffering an injury. It's a shitty situation to be in, but USC is much more than a football team.
    Thank you for the even-handed analysis. Why can't the other USC fans we encounter be more like you? Welcome to the board, Arsenal.

Moraga- has Insider chat changed tone?

quite frankly, I quit because it was the same loop of constant personal attacks on Tedford, Longshore, then Riley, even Jahvid, and so many other coaches and players. If I was going to skim through that type of junk looking for the occasional something interesting, at least I could do it here for free.

Has it changed? If so, I might go back again.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAndGold View Post
    #dominooooooooooooooooooooooooes

and MB's not the only one, either: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...012/index.html
    Amazed at how many times Cal is in the top 5 of so many of the elite players from across the country. Tedford and Co have done a great job in getting us out there at the forefront. Before Tedford we would not be on any of these lists. Sorry Tedford haters, but true.

kinda skeptical about Armond possibly joining his brother here. I know he's talented but I'd rather see some of our younger guys develop.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTime Consigliere View Post
    kinda skeptical about Armond possibly joining his brother here. I know he's talented but I'd rather see some of our younger guys develop.
    I'd take him in a heartbeat. And as we all well know, sometimes brothers like playing with each other.

He has great size and experience from a major college football program ... a front line offensive lineman???? Take as many of those as you can anytime you can

Why? Armond is a great talent. Potential 1st round pick. He is a PROVEN player in the pac-12 and would help us immediately. As much as I want to see the other guys develop, they can still 'develop' while Armond can be a monster for us next year.

Armond would actually have been eligible to transfer since he was a junior at the time, and the sanctions would have prevented him from playing in another bowl game . But none of the upper classmen starters at USC transferred. The only players who left were backups who didn't feel they would get much playing time at USC.
    Thanks for your frank posts. Any more insight as to what his "illness" was?
    Was it a football related injury or some unrelated disease or illness?

bearingup...ninety percent of chat is positive...lots of solid info and commentary...you and burritos should sign up imo

Quote Originally Posted by calgldnbear View Post
    He has great size and experience from a major college football program ... a front line offensive lineman???? Take as many of those as you can anytime you can
    Your right we need all the offensive linemen we can get, but..... Armond is a stud Defensive lineman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclawz View Post
    Your right we need all the offensive linemen we can get, but..... Armond is a stud Defensive lineman.
    Whoops .... still dreaming about Arik on the OL. Sorry about that