Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on where to watch Holiday Bowl in Bay Area?

Hybrid View

Suggestions on where to watch Holiday Bowl in Bay Area?

Hey guys,
    East Bay Native, Cal alum, Chicago resident for the last 4 years. Going to be in the Bay Area for the holidays, and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions of where to catch the game, preferably with other alums.

The Alumni group in SF is surprisingly not hosting anything official, but recommended The Republic and Brickyard. Some light googling of those places seems to indicate they are overpriced and a bit stuffy.

Anyone got any recommendations of where to catch the game?

Thanks, and GO Bears!

I'd go with Kips, a bit of a dive but always a good Cal football atmosphere.

I'm not sure how you're defining stuffy but Republic and Brickyard are pretty solid modern sports bars and would be good options. Of course, the better option is jumping on a flight to San Diego and supporting the team . . .

Active Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by N0rCalBear View Post
    Hey guys,
    East Bay Native, Cal alum, Chicago resident for the last 4 years. Going to be in the Bay Area for the holidays, and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions of where to catch the game, preferably with other alums.

The Alumni group in SF is surprisingly not hosting anything official, but recommended The Republic and Brickyard. Some light googling of those places seems to indicate they are overpriced and a bit stuffy.

Anyone got any recommendations of where to catch the game?

Thanks, and GO Bears!
    The Brickyard is the UT Alumni game watch bar - so, yes, you could watch it there but you would be surrounded by toothless redneck Texas fans

Real Bear
    They moved? Thought they were at The Blue Light.

I'll be watching the game at Shanghai Kelly's but a lot of people think the place is a dive bar. I'll be watching the game w/ this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUYpzWOJAQs

The Republic and Brickyard are not stuffy. They are "Marina Bars" though.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmayo View Post
    Brickyard is in Cow Hollow. Republic is in the Marina. Neither is stuffy.

A decent Cal contingent always shows to Brickyard. I would imagine even with it being the Texas meet-up, it will be pretty evenly split and should be a good game day atmosphere.

Active Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmayo View Post
    They moved? Thought they were at The Blue Light.

I'll be watching the game at Shanghai Kelly's but a lot of people think the place is a dive bar. I'll be watching the game w/ this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUYpzWOJAQs

Yes - used to be Blue Light (and Final Final before that) - but I believe it was this year they switched to Brickyard. I've not been so I don't know what the turnout typically is, but it usually was pretty good at Blue Light and Final Final - I would think so for this one as well.

Maybe stuffy wasn't the right word. The $7 Guinness Drafts turned me off I guess. Used to Joe's on Weed and their $3.75 Coors Light pitchers...

I like Irish Times on Sacramento between Sansome and Montgomery. I was really turned off by the Republic earlier this year when we played UCLA--nowhere to sit and lots of furd fans there watching their game. If you want an uncrowded but good spot with good beer and some decent food go with Irish Times. If you prefer the crowds go with Kezar Pub. Fun place, good beer and food.

North Star Cafe in North Beach is owned by a cal alum and will be serving free shots to those wearing blue and gold following touchdowns, FWIW.

Real Bear
    Stevie (Northstar) also owns Kelly's.

Active Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaHorn View Post
    Yes - used to be Blue Light (and Final Final before that) - but I believe it was this year they switched to Brickyard. I've not been so I don't know what the turnout typically is, but it usually was pretty good at Blue Light and Final Final - I would think so for this one as well.
    I went to Brickyard with a couple friends (1 a UT alum) for the Texass Oklahoma State game, and was quite impressed with the Hooker Whores fans. Every first down elicited a roar like it was a game winning TD. Pity they didn't get more of those...

They are good folks, but unless Cal has 2/3 of the Brickyard, it will seem like the UT bar that it normally is this year...loud proud bunch.

That's the problem with watching Cal sports in the City, a whole lot of transplants from other schools mixed with the hordes of yuppie neutrals who don't give a crap about college sports...

My favorite place to watch games is at King of Thai in North Beach, upstairs. It's not Joe's on Weed, but it's got plenty of TVs, $2 pints of Sapporro and Sierra Nevada, $5 entrees and appetizers, and plenty of young Thai waitresses.

New Bear

What about the Royal Exchange in downtown SF

I've never been, but I heard it's the best Cal friendly bar in the city. Verification anyone?