Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Erika Johnson to transfer

Coaching Staff Did Not Allow Anything

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder71 View Post
    The Bears need a wing or SF that can defend the likes of USC's Gilbreath. Cal had nobody that could match up against her last season and paid the price.

Cal had exactly what they needed *potentially* in Erica Johnson. She was a selfless player who wanted to contribute to the team. If the Bears needed defense, rebounding, entry passes to the post or a player to get out on the fast break, the state of WA prep POY could have responded...I just don't understand how the coaching staff allowed her to become the odd "man" out in the player rotation. Cal basically had three SFs and was two-deep everywhere else. One would think that Afure Jemerigbe (5'11") could have been the 2nd shooting guard ahead of Mikayla Lyles. If that move would have been made, then Erica Johson (6'1") could have split minutes with Lindsay Sherbert (6'0") @ SF. Those moves would have given the team more height at every position while simultaeously putting more athleticism on the floor.

Oh well-back to the drawing board Gottlieb & Co...GO BEARS!
    How many games did you attend last year in which Erika appeared for the Bears? She was totally hesitant and mechanical in her play. She seemed lost much of the time. Having watched her play a couple times in the summer, I was not impressed. I hoped things would change at Cal with proper coaching. That didn't seem to happen. HOWEVER, I wish Erika hadn't been so quick to leave Cal. The grass isn't always greener, I think she'll find out at North Carolina that she may have jumped from the frying pan into the fire by leaving Cal. She should have stayed at Cal for at least one season. Things might have started to clcik for her with more work.

Quote Originally Posted by GOCAL73 View Post
    How many games did you attend last year in which Erika appeared for the Bears? She was totally hesitant and mechanical in her play. She seemed lost much of the time. Having watched her play a couple times in the summer, I was not impressed. I hoped things would change at Cal with proper coaching. That didn't seem to happen. HOWEVER, I wish Erika hadn't been so quick to leave Cal. The grass isn't always greener, I think she'll find out at North Carolina that she may have jumped from the frying pan into the fire by leaving Cal. She should have stayed at Cal for at least one season. Things might have started to clcik for her with more work.

I agree that Erika seemed a little lost on the court, hence my description of the need for "maturing" in my post. I think she could have developed, given time (experience + coaching).

Who knows....perhaps her decision involved more than just basketball. As for UNC's new crop of 2013 commits....it's anyone's guess how many will stick with their verbal and/or stay there for the duration.
    Last edited by CalWBBFan; 05-07-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Erika looked to me like a forward learning to play wing, unfortunately for her behind two talented and experienced wings. In the few minutes I saw she appeared to have plenty of athletic ability and she looked like a good rebounder. I wonder how Joanne Boyle had planned to use her - possibly as a forward since Justine was not yet in the picture?

I see some similarity to the situation with Erica Payne at Stanford. I saw that Erica once in a high school game and came away with the impression she had the game of a 4 but the body of a 3. She finished her first year at Stanford playing 162 minutes in 32 games, shooting 14/28 from the field (all 2s) and 8/11 from the line, and bringing down 40 rebounds.

Stanford lists Erica as a forward, but they don't distinguish between wings and forwards. We listed Erika as a guard, but we don't distinguish between wings and guards. I wonder if the listings reflect different philosophies and expectations which in this case worked better for Stanford than for us.

I see Erica has now played in 2 games at UNC. She's averaging 22.5 minutes, 8 points, and 6 rebounds - all far above her stats at Cal. I'm glad to see things seem to be working out for her.

when I saw the thread i thought she transferred

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    I see Erica has now played in 2 games at UNC. She's averaging 22.5 minutes, 8 points, and 6 rebounds - all far above her stats at Cal. I'm glad to see things seem to be working out for her.

....again!!

Sorry, didn't want to start a new thread.

She might have had similar numbers here if she stayed

We lose her and Lindsey. We could use another wing.

Quote Originally Posted by wvitbear View Post
    We lose her and Lindsey. We could use another wing.
    Lindsay shot poorly, was overpowered defensively, and then she left. Not giving minutes to Erica was the one big mistake our coach made last year.

What is the Facination With Players Who Leave?

There isn't a whole lot of traffic at this women's basketball site as it is. Can't we at least focus on the players who stayed? I think those who chose to be Bears and have stayed and worked hard to bring success to the Cal program are the ones who deserve our attention at this site. There are some great stories on this team and this is a good, possibly excellent team. They are ranked #8 in the country and they are about to take the court against #19 Kansas. Geez!

Quote Originally Posted by GOCAL73 View Post
    There isn't a whole lot of traffic at this women's basketball site as it is.
    That's why I don't mind a few words about departed players. Stuff I do mind I just don't read.

Quote Originally Posted by annarborbear View Post
    Lindsay shot poorly, was overpowered defensively, and then she left.
    I too was hoping she'd shoot better. But I remember her being the only Cal player on the court at the end of that awful home loss to USC who managed to stay in front of Ariya Crook on defense.

Not giving minutes to Erica was the one big mistake our coach made last year.
    I agree on that point.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post

I saw part of Erika's second game on Wednesday - I tuned in during the second half because I noticed that UNC was somehow struggling at home vs. East Carolina. Anyway, Erika was trusted to play most of the last 14 minutes in a close game and looked OK on both ends of the floor.

The temptation is to think that UNC's coaches have done a better job figuring out how to use her but actually their offensive style suits her much better. At Cal she was usually playing with 2 posts clogging the middle and 2 dominant guards, so she really couldn't play her natural attacking style and looked lost. But on Wednesday, she received the ball a lot more and with more spacing in UNC's middle, she was able to attack the basket and rarely had to shoot from the outside. She looked comfortable and confident but it didn't give me any reason to believe that she would have progressed as much had she stayed at Cal - in our offense she might have remained the same 5th wheel that we saw last season.

I have no idea how next year's UNC recruits will impact her playing time but I hope the decision to transfer continues to suit her.

Thanks, Stu, for the update. Unlike some of the people here, I for one enjoy hearing about how former players are doing. Once a Bear, always a Bear. If a player leaves the team without drama or scandal, like Erika did, I don't have a hard time rooting for them in their present circumstances.

Not to mention: are you censoring what people are allowed to post about and care about, GOCAL73? If you don't want to know about this sort of thing, DON'T READ THE POSTS. Just because someone posts about or reads about a transfer player doesn't mean they don't care about the current team. There isn't a limit to the number of threads, so posting about former players has exactly zero impact on information or interest in the present team.

Bleacher Bear

Are you still here. Haven't heard much from you lately.