Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I've wanted JT gone for years, BUT

Loyal Bear

I've wanted JT gone for years, BUT

he is being treated unfairly here. I'm one of the Negas, have been for sometime so do NOT confuse this with S Pumping. I have been on the phone with my sources quite a bit today (they are well connected and have yet to lead me astray) and TOSH is to blame for this, not JT. I'm not sure how much I can say, but I'll give what I can. Here is the story/timeline as I have heard:

Tosh was offered a job at Wash and he came to JT with the "my heart is here speech". JT went and fought for Tosh to get the offer matched. JT and Tosh have a meeting where JT tells Tosh how much he wants to keep him, how he is an integral part of what they are doing, etc. He says that he went and got the offer matched and that he wanted him to stay, but that he won't/can't get into a bidding war for Tosh and that he (JT) needs his (Tosh's) word that this is done and that he (Tosh) isn't going anywhere. Tosh assures JT this is over. Tosh breaks his word, continues talking to UW and gets another offer which he doesn't present to JT, as he has already been told and committed to no bidding war.

JT didn't find out Tosh was gone (by voicemail) until he got off the plane for a recruiting trip Tosh was supposed to meet JT on. They were supposed to meet yesterday to recruit and Tosh didn't show.

Combine that with the fact that Tosh is breaking the unwritten coaches code of only recruiting for one school and he is dead to me and I suspect Cal and JT as well. If you are recruiting and switch schools, you stop recruiting those guys... pass them off to another on staff.

Truly despicable. In my estimation, JT has committed a multitude of sins, but this fiasco isn't on him. No one looks rosy in this, but this is Tosh's doing.

Hopefully this gives a picture of what went down without burning my sources. I don't want to talk about numbers, but if there are any questions, I'll do my best.
    Last edited by alarsuel; 01-17-2012 at 04:39 PM.

no bear
    How can you not blame Tedford if he basically told Tosh he wouldn't have a competitive offer for him?

What a f*cking slimeball

Quote Originally Posted by drunkoski View Post
    How can you not blame Tedford if he basically told Tosh he wouldn't have a competitive offer for him?
    I think there was a competitive offer in the beginning, but I'm guessing Sark called up Lupoi last minute and said take it or leave it

Active Bear
    Thanks for the details.

I don't mind Tosh went for more money. But the method he chosed to leave Cal, if true, is dispicable. Not blaming JT for this episode; but I still want JT to be gone after next season, unless he can get us to 10-3. I guess I am harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by alarsuel View Post
    he is being treated unfairly here. I'm one of the Negas, have been for sometime so do NOT confuse this with S Pumping. I have been on the phone with my sources quite a bit today (they are well connected and have yet to lead me astray) and TOSH is to blame for this, not JT. I'm not sure how much I can say, but I'll give what I can. Here is the story/timeline as I have heard:

Tosh was offered a job at Wash and he came to JT with the my heart is here speech. JT went and fought for Tosh to get the offer matched. LT and Tosh have a meeting where JT tells Tosh how much he wants to keep him, how he is an integral part of what they are doing, etc. He says that he went and got the offer matched and that he wanted him to stay, but that he won't/can't get into a bidding war for Tosh and that he (JT) needs his (Tosh's) word that this is done and that he (Tosh) isn't going anywhere. Tosh assures JT this is over. Tosh breaks his word, continues talking to UW and gets another offer which he doesn't present to JT, as he has already been told and committed to no bidding war.

JT didn't find out Tosh was gone (by voicemail) until he got off the plane for a recruiting trip Tosh was supposed to meet JT on. They were supposed to meet yesterday to recruit and Tosh didn't show.

Combine that with the fact that Tosh is breaking the unwritten coaches code of only recruiting for one school and he is dead to me and I suspect Cal and JT as well. If you are recruiting and switch schools, you stop recruiting those guys... pass them off to another on staff.

Truly despicable. In my estimation, JT has committed a multitude of sins, but this fiasco isn't on him. No one looks rosy in this, but this is Tosh's doing.

Hopefully this gives a picture of what went down without burning my sources. I don't want to talk about numbers, but if there are any questions, all do my best.

Aaron, I've met you and I trust what you say. This is disgusting. I'm sorry guys, I know teddy ain't perfect, but Tosh gets no love for me. The only time I want him to step on campus is to receive his bi-yearly asskicking

Loyal Bear
    DO, you and I usually see pretty eye to eye, but not this time. He fought to get him the first offer and probably knew that he couldn't go back to the well, which is why he got Tosh to assure him he wouldn't need to. I'm not saying this should change any view about what type of coach JT is (I agree with you), just that he wasn't as completely inept and asleep at the wheel as it first seemed to you. me, and others in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by AU_Bears View Post
    What a f*cking slimeball
    This. If this is the story than Tosh's integrity and loyalty are sh#t

Here's why I blame Tosh:

Sark didn't offer just him a coaching job. That wasn't the whole deal. The deal was, we give you a boatload of money to coach, recruit, AND to screw Cal two weeks before signing day. That money wasn't just to coach and recruit.

For all you people who blame Tedford because of the Oregon thing, gimme a break. Tosh didn't just screw Tedford, he screwed US.

He wants to leave, fine, I don't blame him. But recruiting Shaq on the way out the door, before making the announcement... unforgivable.

Screw him and everyone else down with him. If you blame Tedford for this, you have lost sight...

This sounds believeable, but who knows..

My question is, silver/gorcey and others seem to think that injury-gate is the bigger cause. While I'm sure it def didn't sit well with him last year, was it only major factor AFTER the second/bigger offer?

Did he put a price on his own pride?

Just wondering.

True Blue Golden Bear BearyWhite's Avatar
    Not engaging in a bidding war is different than not having a competitive offer. Tedford offered to almost double Tosh's salary, which at that point was the going rate.

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by likwid1 View Post
    Here's why I blame Tosh:

Sark didn't offer just him a coaching job. That wasn't the whole deal. The deal was, we give you a boatload of money to coach, recruit, AND to screw Cal two weeks before signing day. That money wasn't just to coach and recruit.

For all you people who blame Tedford because of the Oregon thing, gimme a break. Tosh didn't just screw Tedford, he screwed US.

He wants to leave, fine, I don't blame him. But recruiting Shaq on the way out the door, before making the announcement... unforgivable.

Screw him and everyone else down with him. If you blame Tedford for this, you have lost sight...
    +1

no bear
    Quote Originally Posted by BearyWhite View Post
    Not engaging in a bidding war is different than not having a competitive offer. Tedford offered to almost double Tosh's salary, which at that point was the going rate.
    So he played hard ball with Tosh and Tosh took him at his word

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by alarsuel View Post

Tosh was offered a job at Wash and he came to JT with the "my heart is here speech". JT went and fought for Tosh to get the offer matched. JT and Tosh have a meeting where JT tells Tosh how much he wants to keep him, how he is an integral part of what they are doing, etc. He says that he went and got the offer matched and that he wanted him to stay, but that he won't/can't get into a bidding war for Tosh and that he (JT) needs his (Tosh's) word that this is done and that he (Tosh) isn't going anywhere. Tosh assures JT this is over. Tosh breaks his word, continues talking to UW and gets another offer which he doesn't present to JT, as he has already been told and committed to no bidding war.

Hopefully this gives a picture of what went down without burning my sources. I don't want to talk about numbers, but if there are any questions, all do my best.
    Thanks for your level headed post.

Thank you for providing this take. I sat idly by in between sadness and disbelief until I heard more about the actions of our ex-coach and it painted a clear picture in my mind. The scenario you've outlined matches up with the bits and pieces others have put up, and explain a lot to me. His actions speak louder. He's not sitting around sad to leave Cal, he's out there earning his pay. Its what he's been hired for, its what he will do and I don't begrudge him for that. It isn't the what he did, its the how he did. He understood what this meant.

It's going to take a ton of evidence to the contrary but I feel like I've been played, which is why we see this extreme emotional response from the Cal community. There are still some out there who support the actions and will defend them, which is fine.

An excerpt from the ESPN article we so praised...

"Primarily, Tosh Lupoi said, he believes in the product he sells."

And I believed him.