Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: I've wanted JT gone for years, BUT

That's ok but

Quote Originally Posted by Rushinbear View Post
    How does Lupaid (I like it) like East Jibrue? Because that's where his next job will be. This one won't last forever and the coaching fraternity has a long memory.
    I'm going with Trash Lupus for now.
    'Been a Bear So Long...'

Will any player go on record about Tosh saying, "Don't go to Cal."

Make Tosh/Sark answer to that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoragaBear View Post
    I'll just say this: It's worse than the original narrative.

I get being underappreciated and all the ramifications that come with it but when you clear out in the middle of the night with no warning and are immediately in contact with recruits that morning when your employers don't even know yet and start not only recruiting for your new program the guys you recruited for Cal but tell them, "DON'T GO TO CAL?"

That and other actions make this an irreparable rift, imo.
    I know this isn't what you usually do but its much appreciated. If all the independent corroboration, and his actions still cause people to look for an excuse for the way he acted as he did, so be it. He's done everything he could besides take out a full page ad to spit on Cal on his way out. I really hope this story gets out the right way.

I'm sure there are some here who will say this is the Cal spin still. I know we don't want to believe this, but the actions come across more than anything.

Maybe he was manipulated by men who have known the game longer. Sark probably picked up on that and played him. Who knows, but I'm glad the story is out for those of us who care.

Thanks for sharing this and I hope your sources don't mind; this is such an extreme case with so much hidden behind the scenes, but we all appreciate knowing more about his actual actions.

I hope the recruits get the chance to see this. I'm afraid they're just seeing us RAAAAGE and assuming we're all negative fans who hate a guy just for leaving.

Edit: The bitter and vengeful Old Blue in me wants to start a campaign to get this on Twitter for the recruits to see, but the rational side of me (oh that pesky integrity) doesn't want to turn Cal fans into the kind who would do negative recruiting.
    Last edited by TheScientist; 01-18-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alarsuel View Post
    Yes, I believe it was intentional. Fine, let's suppose this version is how it went down (it isn't), he still has blatantly lied about being done with UW, as in Sark calls I don't answer done. You are letting him off WAY too easily. Immature AND pure jerk... not either or.
    Glad this is finally out alarusel....I was chomping at the bit to say more and glad MB decided to give more info on Tosh....the douchbag....actively telling kids NOT to come to Cal, even the ones UDub wasn't getting in unforgivable and a BS move

I wonder if our ex-DL coach will flip the bird at Cal fans (or worse?) when UW visits Memorial this fall. Seems like the type.

As for violating NCAA rules, UW will almost certainly get NCAA probation under Sark, the new John Calipari of college FB, at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by 95bears View Post
    Tedford is nowhere to be found. I get the time crunch that damage control entailsóbut a few minutes with a key national reporter somewhere would help more than hurt.
    LOL. You want Tedford talking to a "key national reporter" instead of working the phones/texts with key RECRUITS and making sure the rest of his STAFF is staying as well as trying to find replacements for DL and WR so our key RECRUITS will feel reassured they will be taken care of when they get here?

Sorry... that's really, really short-sighted. Tedford needs to spend 100% of his energies to the items above and 0% to reassuring the hysterical hard-core fans (like us).
    You just know Cal PR won't be able to get this story out there, whereas Oregon/Nike PR assaulted the media with injurygate and made it national news for a week in the middle of a season.

... If Tosh is now our enemy we should take the legs out of his career/reputation with prejudice. The chance to get into the national news cycle window is dwindling... I know this stuff is not Tedford's style. Sigh.
    That's one of the reasons I like Tedford, at least in this instance. Any kind of attempt to do anything about this would sound vindictive, unsubstantiated, and frankly pathetic to anyone who wasn't paying very close attention already. Now, the Injurygate thing... that I think was mishandled... unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
    But I am finding it difficult to give JT a complete free pass on this one.
    I definitely agree JT should not get a free pass.
    It bothers me that Lupoi apparently spent two plus years making the same salary ($164,000, which I would guess is a bit low compared to assistant pay at other BCS schools).
    ORLY?

- Lupoi got a GA job from Cal fresh out of school.
    - Lupoi was promoted from GA very rapidly directly to DL coach, a HUGE risk by Tedford. That doesn't happen very often. That's a show of faith, and giving someone a break.
    - Lupoi was paid ~120k the first two years of employment. That's low for a DL coach, but not low for someone just starting out that's been given a huge break.
    - Lupoi got a 25% pay raise last year.
    - Lupoi agreed to a 100% pay raise for this coming year, before taking the UW offer.
    - Lupoi would have been making ~300k in his fourth year as DL coach, after being a GA.

That's called taking care of your employee. I'm sorry, you don't just hand someone million-dollar contracts when they are that green. And I don't think he's proven to be that great a DL coach either. Despite the loads of talent he brought in, our DL has frankly not performed up to its talent level.

Suggestions that Tedford pushed out Tosh by not taking care of him are absurd. Taking the UW offer is understandable (how he did it is the problem) but Tedford gave him his break, took a risk on him, and then was repaid by getting stabbed in the back on the way out the door.

If Tosh had taken the offer but behaved ethically, I am sure Tedford would have been sad and upset to not be able to retain him, but would have been happy to see him move upward with his career. The way things came out, I can't see him feeling anything but bitter, understandably.
    Last edited by elpbear; 01-18-2012 at 09:15 AM.

The thing is with this, getting into Lupoi's head for a minute, unless he's a complete idiot, and I don't believe he is, he's gotta realize that doing this is not just burning bridges with JT and the athletic department. The relationship with Cal is gone and when this story comes out, he is at severe risk of ending every relationship he had with anyone at Cal. Don't think he's going to be welcome at alumni functions or at any team reunions, etc. That's a lot to give up just to deliver an F-U out the door.

Basically, he's exposed as a complete fraud in just about every way.

True Blue Golden Bear BeachyBear's Avatar
    DO, I'm not surprised you would take To$'s side. You're almost as much of a lowlife as he is.

True Blue Golden Bear BeachyBear's Avatar
    To$h is a lowlife and a cancer. His true colors probably came out before this, but JT held his nose because he wanted the recruits. Anyone see similarities with Bozeman here??

And BTW, anyone still think that "faking injuries" thing WASN'T his idea?? It was totally out of character for JT-coached teams, but very much in character with a loser like To$h. Good riddance. Sark better watch this guy like a hawk.

drunkoski
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachyBear View Post
    DO, I'm not surprised you would take To$'s side. You're almost as much of a lowlife as he is.
    Yes this post is full of class.

I'm not surporting tosh, i'm just not of the theory that we don't need some slimeballs if we want to land big recruits. and apparently jt agreed since he doubled tosh's salary.

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    The thing is with this, getting into Lupoi's head for a minute, unless he's a complete idiot, and I don't believe he is, he's gotta realize that doing this is not just burning bridges with JT and the athletic department. The relationship with Cal is gone and when this story comes out, he is at severe risk of ending every relationship he had with anyone at Cal. Don't think he's going to be welcome at alumni functions or at any team reunions, etc. That's a lot to give up just to deliver an F-U out the door.

People should seriously boo him anytime they see him in the bay area. He is no longer welcome in his home. He burned that bridge on his way out. Seattle is your home now To$h. And when Sark fires you because next year's recruits don't trust your lies anymore, you'll be homeless. Never come back.

drunkoski
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachyBear View Post
    To$h is a lowlife and a cancer. His true colors probably came out before this, but JT held his nose because he wanted the recruits. Anyone see similarities with Bozeman here??

And BTW, anyone still think that "faking injuries" thing WASN'T his idea?? It was totally out of character for JT-coached teams, but very much in character with a loser like To$h. Good riddance. Sark better watch this guy like a hawk.
    so he'll keep a lowlife on the staff to get recruits, but he wont fake injuries. interesting logic.

Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post

He better hope coaching at UW works out. Or coaching in general.

Lupoi is from the East Bay. His family, I believe, still resides there. Just a stupid way to leave Cal and the community.

If he ever enters finance and I get his resume by some random circumstance, that will be amusing. Cal's alumni base is huge. In finance, in sports, in entertainment, etc. Tosh will have that scarlet letter on his chest for the rest of his life. He is going to regret going out the way he did.