Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ***Rules reminder***

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    70

    ***Rules reminder***

    No linking, referencing or quoting from competing Cal scout and rivals posts, stories or tweets are allowed. This has been repeated often enough that we shouldn't continue to see violations.

  2. #2
    Is that why the "Tosh on DLS campus" thread was deleted???

  3. #3
    no bear
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    No linking, referencing or quoting from competing Cal scout and rivals posts, stories or tweets are allowed. This has been repeated often enough that we shouldn't continue to see violations.
    Is it only Scout and Rivals that are taboo? Everyone else fair game? Just asking an honest question.

  4. #4
    Loyal Bear davetdds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    2,787
    But it is ok for trolls to come on here and attack us and our school personally???

  5. #5
    True Blue Golden Bear BearyWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,154
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    No linking, referencing or quoting from competing Cal scout and rivals posts, stories or tweets are allowed. This has been repeated often enough that we shouldn't continue to see violations.
    Tweets are solely on Twitter. It's not a problem to quote from Twitter, right?

    I understand why people wouldn't be able to quote from paid content sources, because the mods would be concerned about some sort of copyright violation dustup. I don't understand not being able to quote or link to stories on public areas of competitor sites though. Seems a little thin-skinned, and sort of backwards. Look at political blogs -- they all have links to their favorite counterparts, and quote each other liberally, because it boosts everyone's traffic and google rankings to discuss what each other is saying. Hoping to grow traffic by keeping regular users from knowing that the competition exists is a losing strategy, IMHO.

  6. #6
    no bear
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    374
    Occupy BearInsider!!!



    wait...

  7. #7
    True Blue Golden Bear dupdadee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,032
    As I recall, linking non-premium articles from Rivals and Scouts were okay...back in the day.

    But the competition has gotten fierce recently after Gorcey took over BT. (Scout sucks hard, so nobody cares about that site.)


    BI is obviously running a business, and they get to pick the rules.




    No big deal for me....

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by davetdds View Post
    But it is ok for trolls to come on here and attack us and our school personally???
    No, it's not. And if you see it, report it. The board's way too busy to monitor every thread.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by BearyWhite View Post
    Tweets are solely on Twitter. It's not a problem to quote from Twitter, right?

    I understand why people wouldn't be able to quote from paid content sources, because the mods would be concerned about some sort of copyright violation dustup. I don't understand not being able to quote or link to stories on public areas of competitor sites though. Seems a little thin-skinned, and sort of backwards. Look at political blogs -- they all have links to their favorite counterparts, and quote each other liberally, because it boosts everyone's traffic and google rankings to discuss what each other is saying. Hoping to grow traffic by keeping regular users from knowing that the competition exists is a losing strategy, IMHO.
    Again, linking tweets from those two sites is not acceptable. It's not about copyrite. It's about not being a forum for advertising for the competition.

    You don't have to agree with the rules but you do have to follow the rules and that includes not linking posts, tweets or stories from Cal rivals or scout. If it's national or any site or blog besides our direct competition, that's fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •