Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Howard: New DL coach

Well he did beat EdO for Price and Lupoi for Owa head-to-head when he was at Ucla...tells you right there he's not going to back down on the recruiting trail.

That plus the fact that he utilized Davis to absolutely maximize his talents makes me pretty optimistic. I see a lot of similarities to Davis in Todd Barr's HS tapes, so I'm pretty fired up that Howard will utilize him similarly. If he does, watch out!

Sure hopefully he's warmly received by the current DL recruits but IMO this is a great hire first and foremost for the guys already on the roster.

jester no 2, teko powell?

Quote Originally Posted by jesterno2 View Post
    ^yup. a week and a half to establish a relationship will be extremely tough, and he can't be graded on this year. whether or not JT and the rest of the staff can use his hiring to reinforce the earlier messages and win back the recruits we were in with before signing day will reflect more on the rest of the staff than howard.

he was responsible for recruiting Jones, Price, and Owa while he was at UCLA, which is very very promising. combine that with the rest of what Cal has to offer and i think this will look like a very good hire a year from now, regardless of the results on LOI day.
    Probably nowhere on our radar, but DT Teko Powell from Florida was trippin to wazzu, any chance we get him or another offer out with our primary offers potentially going elsewhere?

Veterans throughout:
    Offense:
    Ron Gould
    Jim Michalczik
    Wes Chandler
    Jeff Genyk( and ST)
    Marcus Arroyo

Defense:
    Clancy pendergast
    Todd Howard
    Ken Thompson
    Ashley Ambrose

Three NFL guys: Chandler; Howard and Ambrose.
    Three Bear Vets: Gould, Michalczik and Thompson
    One head coach college - Genyk
    One young guy whose excited to learn - Arroyo

No fooling around. These guys know football!
    Last edited by 6bear6; 01-21-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: F

Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBlue1999 View Post
    Read the article. basically back when Ucla had a good dline a few years ago he was the coach. Good hire IMO.
    Maybe he can warn McCarthy about UCLA
    and good to have someone that can compete with UCLA on the defensive side. Could we even flip Adams?

Edit: Just scanned the article. This is a good hire. His NFL experience is very impressive when you consider the teams he coached haven't been very good in general but were good, particularly on D, while he was there.
    Last edited by heartofthebear; 01-21-2012 at 04:29 PM.

WSU fans liked him, said he improved their dline. I think this is a good hire

welcome to cal coach howard. looks like a step in the right direction and possibly an improvement with his years of coaching exp but only time will tell

I'll just add that I sure hope Follett can afford to take a GA/staff position and that JT gives him a shot there. I can see him being wary of wading into that pool again, but I think with appropriate measures in place after the lessons learned we could still get a lot of benefit from a guy like that. IMO he just didn't have the experience to be a viable candidate yet, as was also the case with a lot of the other more readily recognizable names mentioned on the board the last few days.

Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBlue1999 View Post
    I'll just add that I sure hope Follett can afford to take a GA/staff position and that JT gives him a shot there. I can see him being wary of wading into that pool again, but I think with appropriate measures in place after the lessons learned we could still get a lot of benefit from a guy like that. IMO he just didn't have the experience to be a viable candidate yet, as was also the case with a lot of the other more readily recognizable names mentioned on the board the last few days.
    I don't think Follet was in line for this job anyway and still hope he does get hired for recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by alarsuel View Post
    my thoughts

hope he has a relationship with shittu, armstead, and/or mccarthy... Otherwise i don't see the appeal.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by 6bear6 View Post
    Veterans throughout:
    Offense:
    Ron Gould
    Jim Michalczik
    Wes Chandler
    Jeff Genyk( and ST)
    Marcus Arroyo

Defense:
    Todd Howard
    Ken Thompson
    Ashley Ambrose

Three NFL guys: Chandler; Howard and Ambrose.
    Three Bear Vets: Gould, Michalczik and Thompson
    One head coach college - Genyk
    One young guy whose excited to learn - Arroyo

No fooling around. These guys know football!
    Absolutely; bringing in some experience can never be over-estimated.
    And when they got in there, all of a sudden the bullets are flying. Welcome to major college football. Ralph Friegen, Maryland Head Coach.

GO BEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by BerlinerBaer View Post
    FWIW I just started a thread on the WSU board about him. So far, they have good things to say.
    I think this is a pretty good gauge of whether its a decent hire. Remember when CU fans were sending red flags about Marshall?

One more thing: The best thing this demonstrates to recruits IMO is Tedford's and Cal's ability to attract quality coaches even on very short notice. Shows the stability/desirability of the program as a whole and Tedford's reputation/stature/connections among the coaching ranks IMO.

On the flip side it also tends to indicate just how likely it is that the notion that Cal wouldn't be able to successfully replace Tedford is a fallacy.

From Bruin Board:

"Single handedly turned our horrible 2005 DL unit that gave up 220 rush yards a game into one of the best in the conference the next year allowing only 90 yards a game or so. He's originally from the NFL and he can turn decent talent into really good players. Honestly he's the one position coach I wish we still had."

For some reason fired by Southern Branch despite getting praise for developing young linemen:

Neuheisel will address Howard’s departure, the hiring of F backs/tight end coach Jim Mastro and how close he is to hiring a defensive coordinator later this afternoon....

UCLA’s defensive line came under fire this past season but Howard also helped develop freshman starters Cassius Marsh and Owamagbe Odighizuwa.

“Todd knew that this was a possibility,” said Neuheisel. “We discussed the situation back in December and decided to wait until after recruiting to make a final decision. I feel that it is in the best interest of our program and also in Todd’s best interest that we part ways at this time. I appreciate all that he has done for UCLA football and I know that he will be successful in his next position.”

“I appreciate the opportunity Coach Neuheisel gave me by allowing me to stay on staff when he was hired,” said Howard. “I knew this might happen and have been planning for this situation.”
    http://ucla.ocregister.com/tag/todd-howard/

After the 2010 game against SC:

The good: The work of defensive line coach Todd Howard and linebackers coach Clark Lea with young prospects is starting to show signs of promise.
    http://ucla.ocregister.com/2010/12/0...uins-11/25586/

UCLA football: D-line getting younger — and better. Keenan Graham became a starter in September. Owamagbe Odighizuwa cracked the starting lineup a month ago. Cassius Marsh made his first career start this past weekend.

All three are freshmen defensive linemen.

The Bruins are going young on the defensive line, but don’t take that to mean they’re looking ahead to next season. Looking forward to next season might be a better way to put it.

Oregon State coach Mike Riley deemed it a “disruptive” bunch after the Bruins pressured Beavers quarterback Ryan Katz all day and held Jacquizz Rodgers to 63 rushing yards and without a touchdown for the first time all season.

“They aren’t dominating at this level — it’s hard to dominate as a freshman — but they’re definitely holding their own,” UCLA defensive line coach Todd Howard said. “I think (the line) will grow to be the strength of the defense.”
    http://ucla.ocregister.com/2010/11/1...-better/24366/

Based on the above, seems like the perfect person to work with all of our young talent.
    Last edited by southseasbear; 01-21-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added concluding opinion