Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Howard: New DL coach

True Blue Golden Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by braggbear View Post
    Here is an old video of him being interviewed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsm_rJ4brDI
    I liked this little snippet of him demonstrating pass rush technique: LINK
    Last edited by calumnus; 01-21-2012 at 04:44 PM.

From Twitter

Arik Armstead was offered by new #Cal Dl coach Todd Howard as a freshman, when Howard was at UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bear6 View Post
    Veterans throughout:
    Offense:
    Ron Gould
    Jim Michalczik
    Wes Chandler
    Jeff Genyk( and ST)
    Marcus Arroyo

Defense:
    Todd Howard
    Ken Thompson
    Ashley Ambrose

Three NFL guys: Chandler; Howard and Ambrose.
    Three Bear Vets: Gould, Michalczik and Thompson
    One head coach college - Genyk
    One young guy whose excited to learn - Arroyo

No fooling around. These guys know football!
    How about Coach P???

Active Bear
    I love Zach Follet. That said, if he is going to be an effective recruiter ... he will have to know when to edit out his "Jesus Above All" routine. This is what has made Tebow so polarizing... and trust me, it will polarize recruits.

If he can learn when to turn that switch on and off, I would love to have him eventually join our staff after proving himself as a GA. The guy brings intensity to the table and I can see him pumping our team up to get after it in the weight room, practice field and the film study room.

Real Bear
    We'll we all know how slick Rick worked out for the Bruins. GO BEARS! GO TODD!

Quote Originally Posted by diva1 View Post
    From Twitter

Arik Armstead was offered by new #Cal Dl coach Todd Howard as a freshman, when Howard was at UCLA.

very logical post.
    Also I like the idea of "hi, I'm Todd Howard, would you like to see my Super Bowl ring" vs. "Hi, I'm Tosh, I'm really cool,I can really relate to you(but don't tell anyone I am almost 30) and I promise to be your friend."

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by alarsuel View Post
    My thoughts

Hope he has a relationship with Shittu, Armstead, and/or McCarthy... Otherwise I don't see the appeal.
    All we can do, is find an excellent coach...which we did. It's up to the players and their parents/family to recognize a coach/school/program that's best for them, and which coach and university has integrity and honor.

Easy math.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Les Richter (October 26, 1930 June 12, 2010)
    University of California All-America 1951

Real Bear
    My thoughts

Hope he has a relationship with Shittu, Armstead, and/or McCarthy... Otherwise I don't see the appeal.

Maybe the appeal is that he will be a good coach for our existing players. JT has a responsibility to players already in the program who just lost their position coach. I'm more concerned with their development at this point, instead of worrying about guys who haven't made up their mind about where they want to be.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    My thoughts

LOL. Bump-bum-pa-bum.

Cal and WSU fan reaction

So far, only positive things to say.

WSU fans:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Good hire for Cal. Good rep, put some kids in the NFL while at UCLA.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````

Re: Todd Howard....opinion

Good coach. I think our D-line under him improved in the one year he was here. Seemed to be a pretty good recruiter too for the short time he was a Cougar coach.

Our DL got better as the season progressed. Sign of the ability to make adjustments and coach up the players.

Liked him.

Good coach, sad to see him go. Great resume.

Howard was one of the very few coaches, from the previous staff, that I considered good enough to want him to stay around. However, Leach wanted to have a totally new group, so, happy to hear he's landed in a good place.

UCLA:

Single handedly turned our horrible 2005 DL unit that gave up 220 rush yards a game into one of the best in the conference the next year allowing only 90 yards a game or so. He's originally from the NFL and he can turn decent talent into really good players. Honestly he's the one position coach I wish we still had.

---------------------------------------------------------

Recruited some nice talent to UCLA, including beating out Cal for Owa and UCLA's DL's were ususally strong.

I like the way he comes across in the couple video clips on youtube. Reminds me a little of Coach G.

He has both pro playing and coaching experience and a solid resume and while very experienced, still relatively young at 44.

no bear
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBlue1999 View Post
    Well he did beat EdO for Price and Lupoi for Owa head-to-head when he was at Ucla...tells you right there he's not going to back down on the recruiting trail.
    Uh... he didn't beat us for Owa. We beat ourselves for Owa when Chris Martin committed.

Real Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by XTasy View Post
    Uh... he didn't beat us for Owa. We beat ourselves for Owa when Chris Martin committed.
    I don't buy that for a second, at least not to the extent that the thinking is simply that by pursuing Martin at all Owa was turned off. I've always thought, and think even more strongly now, that it's how "we" pursued Martin wrt how we pursued Owa that turned him off.

Are you saying we told Owa "no thanks, no room for you anymore"?

Plus someone had to stay on Owa and close him, isn't that what recruiting's all about?

no bear
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBlue1999 View Post
    I don't buy that for a second, at least not to the extent that the thinking is simply that by pursuing Martin at all Owa was turned off. I've always thought, and think even more strongly now, that it's how "we" pursued Martin wrt how we pursued Owa that turned him off.

Are you saying we told Owa "no thanks, no room for you anymore"?

Plus someone had to stay on Owa and close him, isn't that what recruiting's all about?
    Yeah I'm sure he did a good job recruiting Owa. If I remember correctly, and others can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but when Martin committed, Owa was turned off by the fact that we had another recruit fill the position that we were recruiting him for and basically dropped Cal almost immediately.

Loyal Bear

UCLA was the first to offer Armstead

We might have an opening here.

This is looking like a very good hire to me.

Tedford did very well on short notice.