Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is pasternak getting suspended?

When is pasternak getting suspended?

Or will nothing happen from AZ and the P12? At a minimum I think we need a statement from the P12 office on what they will do (or not do). Scott clearly saw the refs lose control of the game, and nothing happen during the game after the confrontation.

When he does something worth getting suspended for. Yes, he is a douchebag, but there is not 100% conclusive evidence that he did anything warranting a suspension.

Maybe at the same time that Jorge does. Both guys seemed to overreact to what was an unintentional collision but I didn't see anything that would warrant punishment.
    Access is better than ownership!

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 59bear View Post
    Maybe at the same time that Jorge does. Both guys seemed to overreact to what was an unintentional collision but I didn't see anything that would warrant punishment.
    Yup let's be fair. Jorge is our boy. I didn't like what Video Kid did but Jorge had to stay calm -- esp. against a coach, no matter who it is. It's over - it's Roxy's bro in law too. Let's move on, we got some winning to do.

I disagree . .

Jorge yelled at a guy who either kicked him in actuality or tried to kick him and missed. Assistant Coach Pasternack kicked at a player of the opposite team.

Yelling at other players and coaches is pretty commonplace, especially when warranted.

A coach kicking or kicking at a player is extraordinary and deserves the attention of the conference.
    I take Pasternack's statement that his actions were a "reflex" to be pretty darn close to admitting he kicked (or tried to kick) Jorge. He is trying to limit how egregious his act was by saying it was a reflex as opposed to an intentional act. (Mom I didn't mean to punch my brother, my fist just had a spasm and accidently hit his face.)

The video sure looks intentional to me. But even if not premeditated, coaches should be held to a higher standard for the actions they take.

U of A should have taken action against their own coach. They have failed to do so. The Pac 12 should step in and punish Pasternack.

Jorge is owed an apology.

By the way, I think Pasternack is lucky he did this in the course of a basketball game as opposed to in a bar or somewhere else as he might have ended up in jail had he done this in public. For whatever reason, the law turns a blind eye to these kinds of assault and batteries on the playing field (see LeGarrett Blount).
    A lifetime of suffering as a Cal fan.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Gypo View Post
    I think Pasternack is lucky he did this in the course of a basketball game as opposed to in a bar or somewhere else as he might have ended up in jail had he done this in public.
    C'mon, really?

By the way, I think Pasternack is lucky he did this in the course of a basketball game as opposed to in a bar or somewhere else as he might have ended up in jail had he done this in public. For whatever reason, the law turns a blind eye to these kinds of assault and batteries on the playing field (see LeGarrett Blount).
    I thought were going to say because Jorge would've beat his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by berkeleyhigh91 View Post
    Jorge would've beat his ass.
    That is the preferred outcome.

"The video sure looks intentional to me." You no doubt have company on this, but a lot of us didn't see it the same way. Even if Pasternak is a world class martial artist, it's hard for me to envision his having the reaction time to attempt a deliberate kick in these circumstances.
    Access is better than ownership!

Quote Originally Posted by 59bear View Post
    "The video sure looks intentional to me." You no doubt have company on this, but a lot of us didn't see it the same way. Even if Pasternak is a world class martial artist, it's hard for me to envision his having the reaction time to attempt a deliberate kick in these circumstances.
    I thought it was within the realm of reflexive range of motion. Dorky and awkward. Yes. Further aggravated by his Braun taught cringe of disgust -- yes. Intentional kick. To me, no. And yes, calumnus, I saw the gif with Joe P's shoe in Jorge's shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    I thought it was within the realm of reflexive range of motion. Dorky and awkward. Yes. Further aggravated by his Braun taught cringe of disgust -- yes. Intentional kick. To me, no. And yes, calumnus, I saw the gif with Joe P's shoe in Jorge's shorts.
    I would agree that it all happened to fast for Pasternack to think. And perhaps that is what is most disturbing. If he had time to think, he probably doesn't act like a jerk, he wouldn't want that kind of image. But he didn't, and his true self came through.

I had an email conversation about the Jorge/Pasternack incident with a friend who has coached HS basketball in the midwest for 25 years. He says you don't have time to think when someone falls into the bench like that, and it is when true personalities show through. He says that he mostly sees two reactions from coaches, one is help and friendly assistance, frequently accompanied by smiles. The other is coaches who are so focused it is like nothing happened, they usually don't even change expression. But then there is one guy who has been in his league for 15 years, who he says is the biggest two-faced jerk in the league. He will act like a nice guy mostly, but behind your back he's a dick, and he will engage in dirty tactics if he thinks he won't get caught. If a guy falls into the bench where he is, he doesn't have time to put on his nice face, he acts pissy and whiny, his true personality shows through.

Here, I think this was a good test of Pasternack's true personality. I don't think Braun could have taught a reflexive cringe of disgust, I think that only comes naturally. Perhaps that natural reflex is why Braun and Pasternack got along, I don't know. The "F__ him" response only makes Pasternack look worse, and makes me think he could have said something else to help set Jorge off. Can't say that Jorge's desire to fight back when crap is thrown his way is the best response in the world, but I can deal with that better than a guy like Pasternack being a pissy, whiny jerk.

And he may be Roxy's brother-in-law, but that shouldn't give him a pass. I can be honest enough to recognize that out of 4 brothers-in-law I have, 2 can be pretty bad, and one of them, while normally able to put on a convivial public face, can be a total and complete a-hole. It isn't my job to ask anyone to give him a pass if he is being a dick.

Jorge yelled at a guy who either kicked him in actuality or tried to kick him and missed. Assistant Coach Pasternack kicked at a player of the opposite team.

Yelling at other players and coaches is pretty commonplace, especially when warranted.
    Yelling at coaches isn't that commonplace. Going at them looking to fight is even rarer.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    And yes, calumnus, I saw the gif with Joe P's shoe in Jorge's shorts.
    hahaha..

Agreed re Roxy's defense of Pasternack. Don't care if it his brother-in-law, he fell all over himself trying to defend the guy in public, well beyond any defense that may have been warranted. It is hard to tell with certainty whether Pasternack intentionally kicked Jorge but it is 100% clear to me that the former acted like a classless douchebag in the incident, with his indignant sneer and mouthed "F*** him" to boot.

For Roxy to defend Pasternack in the manner he did was total BS. In one interview I heard, he said, Pasternack "is scared of his own shadow." Watch the video, Roxy. The way Pasternack handled himself was not evern close to how someone afraid of his own shadow would act. I don't care if Roxy named his daughter Berkeley. I have known him for years and like him, but lost some respect for him in this whole episode.
    Last edited by Beardog26; 02-08-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardog26 View Post
    Agreed re Roxy's defense of Pasternack. Don't care if it his brother-in-law, he fell all over himself trying to defend the guy in public, well beyond any defense that may have been warranted. It is hard to tell with certainty whether Pasternack intentionally kicked Jorge but it is 100% clear to me that the former acted like a classless douchebag in the incident, with his indignant sneer and mouthed "F*** him" to boot.

For Roxy to defend Pasternack in the manner he did was total BS. In one interview I heard, he said, Pasternack "is scared of his own shadow." Watch the video, Roxy. The way Pasternack handled himself was not evern close to how someone afraid of his own shadow would act. I don't care if Roxy named his daughter Berkeley. I have known him for years and like him, but lost some respect for him in this whole episode.
    Beardog I'm not sure why you lost respect for Roxy. I understand what @Cal8285 said in there are some relatives who are cool, and some who are complete douchebags. But what if Pasternack was one of the guys that he's boys with and is normally cool? Just go down the list of friends and family who could be in some kind of similar altercation, maybe made a bad decision, and see if it is so easy to leave him/her hanging. Don't you think it's a little more complex than that? You would risk losing a friend/family member so that you look better or have the better argument in public? I completely understand what Roxy is doing and I actually respect him more, even though I don't agree with his take (and obviously he's biased, but that's not the point).
    Last edited by KoreAmBear; 02-08-2012 at 03:38 PM.