Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When is pasternak getting suspended?

I didn't say I lost all respect for Roxy. I did lose a little respect for him because, IMO, he went well beyond the level of defense that "his boy" needed or was warranted in the situation. Pasternack clearly deserves some blame for the episode and, from the accounts I have read and heard, Roxy conveniently overlooks that. He could easily have supported Pasternack without either leaving him hanging or absolving him of all blame. There is a happy medium, and Roxy wanted no part of that.

Had he said something to the effect that Pasternack over-reacted in the heat of the moment and probably feels bad about it, I would have no problem with Roxy's position in defending his brother-in-law. However, from what I have read and heard (and I admit I have not done a lot of digging on this matter) he conveniently failed to mention that Pasternack was wrong in any way and, in the interview I heard, essentially said that Pasternack could not have done what people were alleging because he "is afraid of his own shadow." Obviously, Pasternack is not afraid of his own shadow and Roxy is going to great lengths, tripping over himself actually, to try to absolve "his boy," who coaches for a Cal Pac-12 foe, and in the process throwing a larger portion or perhaps all of the fault in the direction of a beloved Cal athlete. (BTW, it is entirely possible that Jorge also over-reacted last Thursday but that, too, is not the point.)

I am not of the mind that Pasternack should be suspended. He shouldn't be vilified, as some have done. But neither should he be deified in this instance, as Roxy seems want to do. You are welcome to respect him more for it. Given the circumstances, I do not share that view.
    Last edited by Beardog26; 02-08-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    I thought it was within the realm of reflexive range of motion. Dorky and awkward. Yes. Further aggravated by his Braun taught cringe of disgust -- yes. Intentional kick. To me, no. And yes, calumnus, I saw the gif with Joe P's shoe in Jorge's shorts.
    Well, the strange thing is, the video has been shown over and over including on TV, I assume everyone examined it looking to see what happened, and yet no one commented on what was most obvious and bizarre to me--Pasternack's shoe was caught in Jorge's shorts and he was kicking to free it!!! Whether that happened as the result of an intentional kick to start with or completely by accident, it seemed more than noteworthy!

I give him major props for having the foot eye coordination to implant his foot in Jorge's shorts at such a rapid pace. Get that guy a boat.

And yes, calumnus, I saw the gif with Joe P's shoe in Jorge's shorts.
    2 eff'n funny!

To be honest, I think people are overthinking this if there is any confusion as to what happened. Pasternack kicked him. Plain and simple. I don't see how anyone could watch that and think otherwise. The only thing I could think that could be going on here is that Pasternack is a former bear and many of us have leftover sympathy from defending him from childish and unwarranted attacks from people who didn't like Braun. Quite frankly, I don't think it is that big of a deal because I think it was a spur of the moment thing, but it should have been followed by a public apology and a reprimand from the league. I think more than a reprimand would be overkill.

As for Roxy, lost a little respect is farther than I would go, but I understand what BD is saying. Roxy botched this. He should have just stayed out of it other than to say, look the guy is my bro-in-law, so I don't think I'm the best person to comment other than to say he is an okay guy and I'm sure he regrets the incident. Problem is, he was put in a position between Cal and family. By not backing away, he kind of looks like he chose sides.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    Well, the strange thing is, the video has been shown over and over including on TV, I assume everyone examined it looking to see what happened, and yet no one commented on what was most obvious and bizarre to me--Pasternack's shoe was caught in Jorge's shorts and he was kicking to free it!!! Whether that happened as the result of an intentional kick to start with or completely by accident, it seemed more than noteworthy!
    No I was giving you a hard time. Your gif showed quite clearly Joe P's foot wrestling around in Jorge's shorts, like a squirrel caught in a laundry bag. But to me this guy had no motive to kick Jorge on purpose and the worst thing out of this is that (as @8285 said) it probably revealed Joe's reflexive character (you know, those douchebags that hate to be touched on any occasion in any context or they will look at you like you are a third world child trying to sell Chiclets to them).

Well put, OTB. I understand what KAB is saying and don't really have a problem with his position. I fully comprehend the natural reaction to defend family. That is not the part I have trouble with. I just think Roxy went over the top in his support of a guy who, IMO, clearly acted poorly in this incident.

To make it worse, this approach essentially came at the expense of one of my favorite all time Cal basketball players. I don't think Roxy intended to paint Jorge in a negative light, that is not my point. However, by defending Pasternack he essentially, and I'm sure unintentionally, threw some negative light in Jorge's direction.

To be clear, I know Roxy and like him. He is a Bear, and that is great. I just do not respect how he handled this situation. I'm sure I'll get over it. Already have, for the most part.

Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by Beardog26 View Post
    Well put, OTB. I understand what KAB is saying and don't really have a problem with his position. I fully comprehend the natural reaction to defend family. That is not the part I have trouble with. I just think Roxy went over the top in his support of a guy who, IMO, clearly acted poorly in this incident.

To make it worse, this approach essentially came at the expense of one of my favorite all time Cal basketball players. I don't think Roxy intended to paint Jorge in a negative light, that is not my point. However, by defending Pasternack he essentially, and I'm sure unintentionally, threw some negative light in Jorge's direction.

To be clear, I know Roxy and like him. He is a Bear, and that is great. I just do not respect how he handled this situation. I'm sure I'll get over it. Already have, for the most part.

Go Bears!
    Time for a beer at the new Raleigh's.

No I was giving you a hard time. Your gif showed quite clearly Joe P's foot wrestling around in Jorge's shorts, like a squirrel caught in a laundry bag. But to me this guy had no motive to kick Jorge on purpose and the worst thing out of this is that (as @8285 said) it probably revealed Joe's reflexive character (you know, those douchebags that hate to be touched on any occasion in any context or they will look at you like you are a third world child trying to sell Chiclets to them).
    I got that, I am just still astounded that in all of this, no one has commented on it. I mean, even if it was an accident--the guy had his foot inside Jorge's shorts! Why was THAT not what ESPN showed and commented on (seems pretty noteworthy) instead of showing the aftermath with Jorge pissed off?

Or Pappy's, where one would likely find me next Thursday before the Oregon game.

Anyone who thinks that wasn't an intentional kick should have their head examined.

K
    Quote Originally Posted by ReasonableBear View Post
    Anyone who thinks that wasn't an intentional kick should have their head examined.
    Time to change the user name from @ReasonableBear to @NoDoubtAboutItBear.

I plan on having several cocktails tonight to celebrate my brother's 40th birthday in Tahoe. As far as head exams go, will that suffice?

Sounds Like...

Quote Originally Posted by Beardog26 View Post
    I plan on having several cocktails tonight to celebrate my brother's 40th birthday in Tahoe. As far as head exams go, will that suffice?
    A head bam!

Not head exam!

Did anything ever happen on this front? I don't remember hearing about it if it did.