Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Why do so many people hate California? (SFGate)

OT: Why do so many people hate California? (SFGate)

Why do so many people hate California? (SFGate)

I think this applies to Cal and the other Pac12 schools in CA and explains East Coast bias to some degree and why CA schools and pro teams don't get respect...but I also tend to agree with the last statement in the post.

Pretty freakin' glorious day outside in sunny California...I think a lunch time bicycle ride is in order.

Politics Blog

Why do so many people hate California?

By Emily Wilkins
    Hearst Washington Bureau

Surf. Sun. Disneyland. What’s not to love about California?

Well, apparently, a lot of things. In a poll released Tuesday by the Public Policy Polling, California was the least popular state in the United States. Only 27 percent of Americans hold a favorable view of the Golden State compared to the 44 percent who view it unfavorably.

“There’s this arrogance about Californians,” said Patrick Dorinson, a radio host in California who refers to himself as the Cowboy Libertarian. “Californians still think it’s this great star. It’s a tarnished star at this point.”

The gap of 17 points puts California far behind Illinois (19 favorable, 29 not) and New Jersey (25 favorable, 32 not) as the least liked state in America.

“I’m actually quite surprised California fared so poorly,” said Albert M. Camarillo, a professor of history at Stanford University. “I think the national public knows of our difficult budget situation, our higher than average unemployment rate, the still very expensive housing market.”

The “Left Coast” is distinct in another way – more people have an opinion about California than any other state. For a majority of states, more than half of recipients answered “not sure” when asked whether they liked the state or not. But California had the lowest rate of indifference – only 28 percent of respondents couldn’t decide whether they liked the state or not.

“No one knows anything about Delaware. No one has a clue about Wyoming – but everyone knows California,” said Dowell Myers, a professor of policy planning and demography at the University of Southern California. “Its visibility is really high.”

There’s some good news for California — at least if you’re a female Democrat. Women were less likely than men to rate California as unfavorable, and there was a massive partisan gap. Democrats love California; Republicans can’t stand it. The opposite is true of Texas.

“I’m sure that for a lot of purple America the extra red Texas and blue California may seem a little far out there,” said Roger Salazar, a political consultant in California.

But whatever the reason, most Californians took the news that their state was the last popular in stride.

“They’re just jealous,” Salazar said.

True Blue Golden Bear LethalFang's Avatar
    If I were living in another state, I'd hate California, too, especially during the winter.

The weird thing is why South Dakota and Virginia are so highly rated.

Wow, a "political consultant" retorts with, "U JELLY?"

True Blue Golden Bear
    They hate California yet they all want to come here. Jealousy is ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by FingeroftheBear View Post
    Why do so many people hate California? (SFGate)

I think this applies to Cal and the other Pac12 schools in CA and explains East Coast bias to some degree and why CA schools and pro teams don't get respect...but I also tend to agree with the last statement in the post.

Pretty freakin' glorious day outside in sunny California...I think a lunch time bicycle ride is in order.
    It is because California is symbolic, we are the "Left Coast"--to the rest of the country we are the future and conservatives (most of the rest of America) by definition want to keep things the same--i.e., not like California. Yet trends started in California inevitably spread nationwide. We have changed the way Americans eat, first it was fast food, now organic, fresh, wine, good coffee, craft beer... we are always at the forefront. We have the largest population and we are now majority minority. We are multi-ethnic, multi-religious, relatively tolerant of immigrants, gays, lesbians, transexuals, you name it, even conservatives--and the rest of the country, though decades behind California in demographics, is following. Plus, we are prosperous. We invent whole new multi-billion dollar industries in our garages. We have the best public university system on the planet. We have the center of the film industry in Hollywoood, we have the center of technology in Silicon Valley. We produce more food than any other state, and the value of our ag products equals everyone else's combined. We have beaches, mountains, forests, deserts, cities, surfing and skiing....

Simply put, they hate us for our freedom and prosperity and for the future we represent.
    Last edited by calumnus; 02-23-2012 at 11:08 AM.

^^^ Nicely stated Calumnus, and agree because hey I'm hanging here just like you. The only thing I can add is they also hate us for having so much fun and beauty around us.

This says it all: They're smoking weed!
    Last edited by FingeroftheBear; 02-23-2012 at 11:25 AM.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    ^^^
    All of the above. Envy is a really strong motivator. I thought everybody hated Texas.

Yeah...

1. Envy
    2. Californians aren't shy about exclaiming how nice the place is.
    3. "the land of fruits and nuts" factor
    4. high visibiliy = pronounced opinions (we probably would get a high "positive", too)
    5. most political power (though we're way underrepresented in the Senate)
    6. It just frustrates the heck out of a lot of people in different states that folks at "California" seem so happy, despite no Rose Bowls

calumnus said it well. Would like to see their reaction if the federal tax money CA pays into the pot that gets redistributed to these "welfare" states ever got cut off. Or if we stop sending food their direction. I have a feeling that they would miss us.

They hate us because of all Calumnus said plus the fact that we are also very silly and self-possessed

I've been in all 50 states

and I think a lot of people think of California as Southern Cal. When My son and I were back East on a baseball vacation, the biggest single thing they couldn't believe is that we didn't own an air conditioner. No conception of Northern Cal. And no conception of how rural Northern Cal is.

I could see why South Dakota and Virginia would rate high. In fact I will be in the Black Hills in May and they are one of my favorite spots in the USA. You can spend a week there and still not see everything. A lt of peoplem visit Mount Rushmore but there are two great Caves, the Badlands, Custer State Park, the Mammoth Museum where you can help with the dig. Crazy Horse Memorial which is bigger than Rushmore. Jewell Cave is the second longest Cave in the World. And lots of Californians have settled there.

Virginia is unmatched in history. Both in Civil War History and in Colonial times as 4 of the first 5 presidents were from Virginia and you can visit their homes. You can visit Williamsburg. William and Mary University is beautiful and is the second oldest school in America. University of Virginia is a beautiful school that Jefferson founded. Both of these school are recognized to be in the top 10 public school in america.

As you move to the Western part of the states you move into the Appalachian Mountains and Shenendoah National Park and can go up to Harpers Ferry West Virginia which is just across the river. Or you can go into DC.

My guess is that I could write a summary about California that would be very impressive too. But people back East would not know anything about the facts.

It would be interesting what people on this board who rate as their top ten worst states.

By the way, Delaware, the Blue Hen State, has some nice beaches and the Brandywine river is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    It is because California is symbolic, we are the "Left Coast"--to the rest of the country we are the future and conservatives (most of the rest of America) by definition want to keep things the same--i.e., not like California. Yet trends started in California inevitably spread nationwide. We have changed the way Americans eat, first it was fast food, now organic, fresh, wine, good coffee, craft beer... we are always at the forefront. We have the largest population and we are now majority minority. We are multi-ethnic, multi-religious, relatively tolerant of immigrants, gays, lesbians, transexuals, you name it, even conservatives--and the rest of the country, though decades behind California in demographics, is following. Plus, we are prosperous. We invent whole new multi-billion dollar industries in our garages. We have the best public university system on the planet. We have the center of the film industry in Hollywoood, we have the center of technology in Silicon Valley. We produce more food than any other state, and the value of our ag products equals everyone else's combined. We have beaches, mountains, forests, deserts, cities, surfing and skiing....

Simply put, they hate us for our freedom and prosperity and for the future we represent.
    Calalumnus! Rah! Rah Rah!