Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Crabbe progressing?

LafayetteBear

Is Crabbe progressing?

I don't see it. He occasionally gets hot from outside, but he has a hard time creating his own shot, taking it to the hole, and he is not much of a defensive force.

Perhaps my expectations have been too high given the credentials he brought with him to Cal. (I believe he was the CIF Southern Section 4A Player of the Year as a high school senior. You would think that the CIF 4A POY would bring more to the table than he has thus far.)

He is at his best when he gets the pass coming off a screen and has time to set himself for the shot. (Who doesn't?!) Monty clearly gets this, as the team is continually setting picks for Crabbe, which is a good thing.

But Crabbe needs to help himself by lifting the level of his game. One writer said after last season that he needs to develop a bit more bulk so he can turn the corner and get into the lane when he drives from the wing. I have yet to see any sign of that. He also needs to work harder on his defense. And his shooting percentage could stand improvement. He probably needs to be a bit more selective with his shots, and the percentage will go up.

What do you think?

CalBeast
    Quote Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
    I don't see it. He occasionally gets hot from outside, but he has a hard time creating his own shot, taking it to the hole, and he is not much of a defensive force.

Perhaps my expectations have been too high given the credentials he brought with him to Cal. (I believe he was the CIF Southern Section 4A Player of the Year as a high school senior. You would think that the CIF 4A POY would bring more to the table than he has thus far.)

He is at his best when he gets the pass coming off a screen and has time to set himself for the shot. (Who doesn't?!) Monty clearly gets this, as the team is continually setting picks for Crabbe, which is a good thing.

But Crabbe needs to help himself by lifting the level of his game. One writer said after last season that he needs to develop a bit more bulk so he can turn the corner and get into the lane when he drives from the wing. I have yet to see any sign of that. He also needs to work harder on his defense. And his shooting percentage could stand improvement. He probably needs to be a bit more selective with his shots, and the percentage will go up.

What do you think?
    I think if you listen to the postgame comments from Monty, you can tell that's he trying to get Crabbe to do things to make him more effective offensively, but that it's hard to get Crabbe to do those things consistently. I also think you're going to get a ton of statistically based responses that tell you that you're mistaken and that Crabbe is actually better this year than last. However, I agree with you that he hasn't really progressed as a player this year.

Agreed, but if he had progressed he may have taken off for the pros, lets win the title.

Go Bears!

What do you think?
    I'm enjoying this season. Crabbe is a big part of it. He's a really good fit to MM's offense. 41% from the 3 line I'll take. He's a good defensive rebounder. I like him at the line in crunch time. And he will get better.

You are partly right in my opinion. There is no question that he lacks the handle and explosiveness to create his own shot. He is driving a lot more this year, so he is trying there, and he has had a few games in which his scoring was primarily mid-range and off drives, but overall, he is still a spot-up shooter. He also still tends to "disappear" when his shot isn't falling. OTOH, where I disagree with you is on defense. He has done an excellent job in man defense, often taking the #2 scorer (or even the #1 when Jorge has foul trouble) and doing a very solid job. His help defense is also solid as well, and he does rebound better. Still, the progress is slower than we would like.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection. Send my credentials to the house of detention.
    Even "as is" Crabbe is going to be a very good college player for Cal for two more seasons. You can't really worry about anything after that---that's Allen's job.

Agreed with UrsaMajor

Crabbe has become a good defender, if not a great one. His rebounding is really good, as well. His passing has improved substantially.

I think that he gets caught between the instructions he gets to be more aggressive, shoot the ball more, and his tendency to be a team player, and only take the shots with which he is comfortable.

Clearly much of his game, coming sharply off screens, putting the ball on the floor and going to the basket, absorbing contact on drives but still converting, remains a work in progress.

Still, despite often taking more difficult shots than last year, his overall fg% (44.6% last, 44.0 this year) has remained good. His other stats have improved, though not dramatically.

On balance, he is one of the many reasons that this year's team is likely the best one Monty has had at Cal.

I think that most of us Cal fans want Allen to be as good as we imagine he can be, and simply have difficulty in being patient with his incremental improvement. He set a pretty high bar last year, so with his steady but unspectacular improvement this year, Allen has frustrated many who want him right now to be the second coming of Rick Hamilton or some such player.

Utah's Zone

Utah's zone gave Kamp and Kravish open mid-range shots all night. They didn't give Crabbe much and it's good he didn't force what wasn't there.

Crabbe's progressing just fine. Early in the year the offense was based on getting him open looks from 3. Now teams aren't giving him those and he has to work harder to get shots and take tougher ones.

He shot 45% from long range during the non-conference season and has shot 38.2% from 3 during the conference season, but he's driving more and finishing better. He's up to 47.7% on 2s in conference from 44.4% non-conference.

His passing has improved noticeably. He's up to 2.4 assists per game in conference from 2.1 non-conference. During the offseaons he'll work hard in the offseason on what he needs to do to help replace Jorge's penetration and assists from the wing.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Well you picked the 3 game semi-slump to make this comment. He's been great most of the year. You have to understand, teams that got torched the first time by Crabbe like Oregon, are going to basically going to live or die trying to shut him down the second time. That's why Cobbs and Harper had the whole middle open to them that Oregon game, for example.

What do you think?

I think Crabbe is playing well but agree he is not progressing significantly.

If I had to try to put my finger on one thing, I'd say he avoids contact too much.

As others have pointed out, he is a good DEFENSIVE rebounder and often will make an athletic rebound. But where is he on the offensive glass?? Got off the three-point line and get in there. No reason he should not be getting more offensive rebounds with his length and skill.

He simply doesn't drive to the basket, draw contact and make plays. He completely lacks that Jeremy Lin killer instinct to get in the paint, draw contact and score.

These are things he could easily improve upon.

It would be interesting to see his defensive vs offensive rebounding and how many foul shots per minutes played he averages versus other players. With these stats I guess I could be proven wrong - ha.

Let's win the Pac...again!

Quote Originally Posted by SmellinRoses View Post
    No reason he should not be getting more offensive rebounds with his length and skill.
    Our guards and wings need to make sure they get back on defense and don't allow fast breaks or open 3s in transition. If they've penetrated they may stick around to help on the offensive boards. If there's a long rebound or loose ball they'll fight for it, but mostly it's the bigs who are expected to crash the offensive glass.

Offensive Rebounds Per Game
    Kravish 2.1 in 24.4 minutes
    Solomon 2.0 in 18.2 minutes
    Kamp 1.9 in 29.9 minutes
    Thurman 0.7 in 10.7 minutes
    Bak 0.5 in 6.4 minutes
    Behrens 0.4 in 4.8 minutes

Jorge 1.0 in 31.8 minutes
    Crabbe 1.0 in 33.6 minutes
    Cobbs 0.5 in 31.7 minutes
    Murray 0.3 in 6.8 minutes
    Smith 0.2 in 18.1 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by R90 View Post
    Utah's zone gave Kamp and Kravish open mid-range shots all night. They didn't give Crabbe much and it's good he didn't force what wasn't there.

Crabbe's progressing just fine. Early in the year the offense was based on getting him open looks from 3. Now teams aren't giving him those and he has to work harder to get shots and take tougher ones.

He shot 45% from long range during the non-conference season and has shot 38.2% from 3 during the conference season, but he's driving more and finishing better. He's up to 47.7% on 2s in conference from 44.4% non-conference.

His passing has improved noticeably. He's up to 2.4 assists per game in conference from 2.1 non-conference. During the offseaons he'll work hard in the offseason on what he needs to do to help replace Jorge's penetration and assists from the wing.
    I agree with most of what has been said. Defenses are paying attention to him. A little bit of the sophomore slump, but mostly he really is working on improving his game, and so we are seeing him in the process of improving, which doesn't always look like improvement (if you just do the one thing that you already do well, you will never look bad, but you won't stretch and improve). In contrast to last year, if his shot isn't falling he has been taking the ball to the hoop and that was not desirable against the Utah zone. As far as his "aggressiveness" overall, I think a factor may be that Jorge and Cobbs both fill the "taking over a game" role. I think once Jorge graduates and Allan is an upper classman with more confidence in his handle, we will see more of that from him. Continued work in the weight room will make him more willing to bang down low too.
    Last edited by calumnus; 02-24-2012 at 10:17 AM.

FingeroftheBear
    Sophomore jinx, teams are coming at him, obviously skilled but game need some work, not yet "his team".

Not only no progress

He seems to be regressing.

He claims that he's having a harder time as defenses are focusing on him and trying to take him out of his game, but I think that he has underperformed relative to expectations.

If you look at this stats they are up across the board, but it sure doesn't SEEM like it. He hasn't had those explosive games he had last year.

That's why they keep statistics. Because what SEEMS to be true often isn't. Perception is heavily influenced by specific instances (the game in which he doesn't score much, or the key open 3 he misses, or the turnover at a critical time).

In fact, his defense is much better, his rebounding is much better, but his offense has not improved as much as we would like to see. If he can improve his handle, it will prevent defenders from crowding him at the 3-point line, and his scoring will go up. Big if, though.