Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT High school senior going to college

BearClaw
    Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorOf1and10fkaLEA View Post
    WRONG! Because in your scenario, the lying sack-o-shite position coach didn't pump up school A and trash school B, only to do a 180 and starting trashing school A and pumping up school B. Under your scenario, the kid isn't a gullible fool of epic proportions.
    If that is your reasoning, then the fact that he isn't her position coach has nothing to do with it. I sense moving goal posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by 76oldblue View Post
    I have strongly encouraged her to look at Wisconsin as I believe it is an excellent school and Madison reminds me a lot of Berkeley, but much cleaner.
    Found this article saying Madison is the 5th best college town in the US. Here's their profile of the city:

http://away.com/features/top-ten-col...wisconsin.html

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBear323 View Post
    Found this article saying Madison is the 5th best college town in the US. Here's their profile of the city:

My fellowship offers for grad school were Columbia and Wisconsin. Even though I chose Columbia and New York City, I really liked Wisconsin and Madison when I visited and would have been happy with that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 76oldblue View Post
    She did apply to UVa, but has not heard.

Thank you all for your thoughts.
    UVA is a great school, but it is also a land grant school which is required to have at least a portion of the class from Virginia. It greatly limits the number of kids it can and will admit from out of state. If your daughter is an exceptional student, she'll be accepted. OTOH, I can't imagine four years there looking a red brick everywhere.

They also had some incidents on campus a few years ago which scared a lot of girls. They have placed telephones in many convenient locations to give students an opportunity to call for help if necessary. A highway runs right through the heart of campus and its easy for outsiders to enter.

Finally, it is the South and for my son it represented a cultural shock he wasn't prepared to undergo.

My niece grew up in Wisconsin, went to Madison, and loved it. Awesome campus and lots of fun, goofy football game day traditions. Weather is nasty in the Winter and it isn't very diverse. The Big Ten schools (especially Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana) have a lot of students from the Northeast, so that adds something to the mix.

I love Cal, but there are lots of great public universities (UNC, UVa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Texas). Was kinda surprised to read some of the facts on the upcoming Supreme Court case on affirmative action. The denied UT applicant allegedly had a 3.6 GPA and 1100 SATs. Didn't think that was even in the ballpark for admission to Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by oskiwanabe View Post
    My youngest (high school class of 2010) wanted to go to Texas. Her grades, test scores and extra curriculars were good and compared favorably to the median grades and scores for UT. What we did not realize is that UT only accepts about 5% of its students from out of state. She was not accepted at UT and whet to Texas A&M.

If there is another public university more different than Cal I would be surprized.

BTW she loves being an aggie. (Just don't tell her friends she really wanted to to to UT).
    Tell her not to feel bad about wanting to come to UT, the few sane Ags that exist all feel that way. Anyway, I am so, so sorry. College Station... is a different kind of place. One of the ugliest campuses I've ever seen too.

Why the desire to come to Texas from out of state? A&M is a good chem and Ag sciences school but if that wasn't her focus, I don't get the desire to go there.

Can't believe you are taking this so seriously. It was a stupid joke. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCGOBEARS View Post
    For what it's worth, a friend of my wife and I was a head coach for a TCU team for 5 years (sorry, but they must be unnamed for obvious reasons). The coach and spouse are from Cali and though they tried their best, they just did not like it there. Too small minded, Ft. Worth was really boring and a culture shock + many other little things. They are comng back to Cali ASAP.
    my nephew is an assistant coach at TCU who went with the head coach from california. hope it is not his mentor that is leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBear323 View Post

Iowa City, Davis, and Eugene are better than Boulder as a college town? Suspect list if I've ever seen one. They must have forgotten Urbana Champain.

People I know from the midwest say Ann Arbor is better due to the weather, but Madison is nice and people party more and study less at UW than at U of M. The other Big Ten towns aren't much to talk about, but Minnesota and Northwestern have access to real cities so that's a different story. And all this has nothing to do with the OP.
    Last edited by ColoradoBear1; 03-01-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBear1 View Post
    Iowa City, Davis, and Eugene are better than Boulder as a college town? Suspect list if I've ever seen one. They must have forgotten Urbana Champain.

People I know from the midwest say Ann Arbor is better due to the weather, but Madison is nice and people party more and study less at UW than at U of M. The other Big Ten towns aren't much to talk about, but Minnesota and Northwestern have access to real cities so that's a different story. And all this has nothing to do with the OP.
    Yeah, I laughed when I saw that Eugene was #1. Still, I thought the blurb on Madison would be informative for the OP.

True Blue Golden Bear NYCGOBEARS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LodeBear View Post
    my nephew is an assistant coach at TCU who went with the head coach from california. hope it is not his mentor that is leaving.
    I'm not sure but I wish your nephew well.

Wisconsin may be the only university ranked as a top academic institution and top party school. Your daughter, should she choose to go there, should have a great time while obtaining a world class education.

Not so

Quote Originally Posted by southseasbear View Post
    Wisconsin may be the only university ranked as a top academic institution and top party school. Your daughter, should she choose to go there, should have a great time while obtaining a world class education.

I think Colorado also falls into that category. Possibly also Texas. There are a few UC campuses you might include as well...

U va

Daughter #2 went to U Va and enjoyed it very much. They have a different word for everything which always made me laugh.

SoCal -It was interesting - thank you for the article!