Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58

Thread: Linsanity- Are fortune cookies racist?

  1. #1

    Linsanity- Are fortune cookies racist?

    Ben and Jerry just pulled/changed their newest flavor "Taste the Lin-sanity" because of 'protests' that using a fortune cookie as an ingredient was 'racist'...legitimate complaint or typical knee-jerk PC overreaction? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/tennis...162618720.html

  2. #2
    True Blue Golden Bear
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,003
    On it's own, the ice cream is not that bad. However, perpetuating stereotypes and subtle racism is a legitimate complaint. Would you even ask this question if Ben and Jerry had a LeBron James ice cream that was watermelon flavored or would you complain that people were too sensitive when the sh*t storm hit?

    Or do you just want another 8 page thread?

  3. #3
    True Blue Golden Bear LethalFang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    10,247
    Quote Originally Posted by tim55bear View Post
    Ben and Jerry just pulled/changed their newest flavor "Taste the Lin-sanity" because of 'protests' that using a fortune cookie as an ingredient was 'racist'...legitimate complaint or typical knee-jerk PC overreaction? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/tennis...162618720.html
    Knee-jerk reaction.
    Neither Jeremy Lin nor the Asian community holds a patent on fortune cookies.
    It isn't some racial slur other people forced upon the Asians. It's something many American Chinese restaurants offered. By the way, don't expect to find any fortune cookies in China.

  4. #4
    True Blue Golden Bear
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,003
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalFang View Post
    Knee-jerk reaction.
    Neither Jeremy Lin nor the Asian community holds a patent on fortune cookies.
    It isn't some racial slur other people forced upon the Asians. It's something many American Chinese restaurants offered. By the way, don't expect to find any fortune cookies in China.
    They serve collard greens, watermelon, and fried chicken in soul food restaurants too. What about that watermelon flavored ice cream featuring Lebron James then?

    Does that mean there was a knee jerk reaction when everyone blasted Fuzzy Zeller for his joke about collard greens and fried chicken when talking about Tiger Woods?

  5. #5
    True Blue Golden Bear LethalFang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    10,247
    Quote Originally Posted by GranadaHillsBear View Post
    They serve collard greens, watermelon, and fried chicken in soul food restaurants too. What about that watermelon flavored ice cream featuring Lebron James then?

    Does that mean there was a knee jerk reaction when everyone blasted Fuzzy Zeller for his joke about collard greens and fried chicken when talking about Tiger Woods?
    How many Asians can you find who finds Jeremy Lin + fortune cookies offensive?
    A minuscule percentage, and I can't even find one who is offended.

    There is no racist history associated with fortune cookies. Fortune cookies is a recent invention by Chinese restaurants in the U.S.
    Last edited by LethalFang; 02-25-2012 at 11:11 AM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalFang View Post
    How many Asians can you find who finds Jeremy Lin + fortune cookies offensive?
    A minuscule percentage, and I can't even find one who is offended.

    There is no racist history associated with fortune cookies. Fortune cookies is a recent invention by Chinese restaurants in the U.S.
    I am one Chinese American not offended. Of course my brother and I actually laughed at the ESPN headline last week and were shocked it blew up into something that cost someone their job.

    Neither my wife nor my sister in law were offended as well. 4 is a small sample size but I can say 100% of the Chinese I just polled were not offended.

  7. #7
    The rhino horn flavor didn't do well with focus groups

  8. #8
    Real Bear oskirules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    outside the matrix
    Posts
    1,812
    It's racist.

    You put a picture of Lin and a fortune cookie together and race immediately becomes the focal point and some people start asking, "is this racist"?
    Would you put a picture of an African-American and a bucket of fried chicken together and ask the same question?
    What's the white equivalent? There is no white equivalent.
    Just because you're not offended doesn't mean something isn't racist.

  9. #9
    Fried chicken and watermelon have long been seen as a negative stereotyped foods...it isn't like they were trying to brand Chunky Monkey to anyone. B & J were trying to participate in the zeitgeist of the moment, like they always do. It doesn't seem to me that fortune cookies are similar to fried chicken and watermelon.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by oskirules View Post
    It's racist.

    You put a picture of Lin and a fortune cookie together and race immediately becomes the focal point and some people start asking, "is this racist"?
    Would you put a picture of an African-American and a bucket of fried chicken together and ask the same question?
    What's the white equivalent? There is no white equivalent.
    Just because you're not offended doesn't mean something isn't racist.
    It is racist. The difference, and why many people are not offended by the Ben and Jerry's is that it is celebrating Lin and celebrating his race (which is technically still racist). In most of the examples with African Americans the racism is intended to be racist and insulting, for example these of Obama:


    and most racist of all:


    If you like Lin because he is Chinese, or like Obama or Woods or Jackie Robinson, because they are African American, it is technically racist, but it is a lot different than if you hated them because they are Chinese or African American. The examples that insult Lin and reference Asian stereotypes are far more offensive to most people than the ones that celebrate him and reference Asian stereotypes. For most people, intent matters a lot. They are far more forgiving of compliments, even if based on racial stereotypes (and may even enjoy them and perpetuate them themselves).

  11. #11
    Is it racist to scan for racism at every mention of someone's name?

  12. #12
    True Blue Golden Bear
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,003
    So, did Lin get some royalty off this promotion? Everyone's making money off Lin except Lin it seems like.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by maxer View Post
    Is it racist to scan for racism at every mention of someone's name?
    It was a lead Yahoo news story...boycott them. Racists.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by tim55bear View Post
    Ben and Jerry just pulled/changed their newest flavor "Taste the Lin-sanity" because of 'protests' that using a fortune cookie as an ingredient was 'racist'...legitimate complaint or typical knee-jerk PC overreaction? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/tennis...162618720.html
    I can't fault Ben & Jerry at all for using fortune cookies in ice cream but I never take a fortune cookie at a Chinese restaurant because it is so NOT a Chinese custom but an American marketing gimmick. As much as I want to say it's an effective boycott, usually my dad/girlfriend/mother/friend breaks my fortune cookie and reads out out loud to me anyways, much to my annoyance.

  15. #15
    True Blue Golden Bear LethalFang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    10,247
    Quote Originally Posted by tim55bear View Post
    Fried chicken and watermelon have long been seen as a negative stereotyped foods...it isn't like they were trying to brand Chunky Monkey to anyone. B & J were trying to participate in the zeitgeist of the moment, like they always do. It doesn't seem to me that fortune cookies are similar to fried chicken and watermelon.
    ^This.

    Fortune cookie is a recent marketing tool by Chinese restaurants in the United States.
    It was never intended as a negative stereotype so please don't make it this way.

    Just because one out of a 1000 Chinese are offended by this benign marketing ploy, he shouldn't take the fun out for everyone else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •