Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The play-the-reserves-more issue...

Quote Originally Posted by CalHoopFan View Post
    I agree that Smith has taken a huge step back this year. He can't hit a jump shot, he doesn't finish well and he is making more bad decisions than good ones when passing the ball. That said, Smith's ball handling is MILES better than Murray who cannot play the PG position at all and while Smith is not a perfect defender, he's pretty solid, at this point several notches ahead of Murray.
    I don't even know if Murrary practices at the pg spot.

Great Fun Being Monday Morning Quarterback

I have no problem with the continuing debate about Monty's use of game minutes, his reluctance to play his bench more minutes.

However, no harm in reminding that it is Monty who is an HOF coach, who currently is as good or better than he ever was. No one who writes on this site wants to win more than he does.

That does not put Monty above criticism and questioning, but it does amuse me to read many of the comments, where it is clear that the makers of the comments think that they both know more about the game and also could do better with the team than Monty does.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesaxe View Post
    The only place Behrens can play in this rotation right now is one of the post slots. He looks like he can drive the ball to the hoop facing up, but that's based on a couple of plays. I've never seen him pass the ball off that move, or pull up for a jumper. His job as a sub would be to rebound and defend and maybe get a putback or run the floor on a break. But doing that for a few minutes could save Harper or Kravish a bit of wear and tear.

I basically agree with what you're saying though and I don't see these guys in practice so I don't know what they do or don't get as far as team defense.

The only way Murray gets minutes instead of Smith is if Jorge plays pg, and that's not been his game.
    I think Jorge is a better option at back-up PG than Smith. That opens up all kinds of options. Behrens could easily play small forward, moving Crabbe to the 2 or Murray could play the 2. I'd even be willing to see Kravish, Kamp and Thurman on the floor together--though with some of these lineups we might have to play zone, Monty has shown he is willing to do that, and I think we get guys on the floor that bring more than Smith does currently.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    I think Jorge is a better option at back-up PG than Smith. That opens up all kinds of options. Behrens could easily play small forward, moving Crabbe to the 2 or Murray could play the 2. I'd even be willing to see Kravish, Kamp and Thurman on the floor together--though with some of these lineups we might have to play zone, Monty has shown he is willing to do that, and I think we get guys on the floor that bring more than Smith does currently.
    Yep I like this. Smith got so much better the last ten games of last season. I bet if you post a video of him during that stretch he would look like a different player. But right now, he seems to have zero confidence. He had a 2 on 1 break opportunity at CU and I could already tell at half-court that this was not going to be pretty. He forced it and CU got the ball back. I think he's pressing and lost almost all of the confidence he had last year. I really think if we plan on going anywhere this season (it's debatable what our upside actually is), Smith can't be playing too much. Not at this point in the season.

Smith's Decline

As much as I admired the Smith at the end of last year and even at the beginning of this one, I now cringe when the current version goes to the scorer's table.

However, that slouch of a coach still prefers him to the alternatives he has. We can rest assured that Monty has weighed his other options.

I would be surprised if we see a change in the rotation in what remains of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by calumnus View Post
    I HATE jorge at the point because he really doesn't have a great cross over move and the ability to drive from the top of the key. MUCH more effective slashing from the wing of a hard screen.

It's not just Kentucky. NC has 8 guys playing 10+ and 1 @ 5+ MPG, Duke 8/2, Syr 10/1, KS 8/1. Cal is 7/2 and would be 8/2 if Solomon were eligible. UW has 7/1 who have played in 20 or more games and another 3 (Breunig, AS-J, Stewart) who've logged extensive minutes but in fewer than 20 games. I think we all have a tendency to put way too much emphasis on the depth of the rotation. Kamp might like to have more rest because of his knees, but he's held up. Most of the national leaders, we'd all agree, have significantly better talent pools and often win big but still play a similar core group to ours.
    Access is better than ownership!

Similar story when you look at the flip side - Cal's top guys are playing about as many mpg as other teams' top guys.

Cal
    Crabbe 33.7
    Cobbs 31.9
    Jorge 31.8

Wsh
    Gaddy 33.6
    Ross 31.0
    Wroten 29.8

Ari
    Hill 31.9
    Fogg 31.3
    Perry 30.1

Ore
    D. Joseph 35.2
    Sim 31.5
    Singler 30.6

Cal 02/03
    Shipp 35.4
    Tamir 34.1
    Wethers 32.3

Quote Originally Posted by 59bear View Post
    It's not just Kentucky. NC has 8 guys playing 10+ and 1 @ 5+ MPG, Duke 8/2, Syr 10/1, KS 8/1. Cal is 7/2 and would be 8/2 if Solomon were eligible. UW has 7/1 who have played in 20 or more games and another 3 (Breunig, AS-J, Stewart) who've logged extensive minutes but in fewer than 20 games. I think we all have a tendency to put way too much emphasis on the depth of the rotation. Kamp might like to have more rest because of his knees, but he's held up. Most of the national leaders, we'd all agree, have significantly better talent pools and often win big but still play a similar core group to ours.
    Many of the traditional powers are unusually deep because of the lockout; a lot of underclassmen decided to return for another year since there was no certainty of an NBA season. It's a strange year.

I actually like our chances next season, since Monty will have to develop the next five off the bench if we realistically want to contend to do big things.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    I HATE jorge at the point because he really doesn't have a great cross over move and the ability to drive from the top of the key. MUCH more effective slashing from the wing of a hard screen.
    This isn't a matter of first choice, which everyone agrees is: Cobbs at PG, Jorge at 2, Crabbe at 3.

It is a matter of second choice when Cobbs needs a breather. There are only two options: 1) Smith at PG or 2) Jorge at PG. Pick your poison.

I am not saying I like Jorge at PG, I just dislike it less than Smith at PG, at least the way he has been playing of late. I'd rather play Jorge at PG and bring in Murray, Behrens or Kravish/Thurman.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection. Send my credentials to the house of detention.
    Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    .............That does not put Monty above criticism and questioning, but it does amuse me to read many of the comments, where it is clear that the makers of the comments think that they both know more about the game and also could do better with the team than Monty does.....
    It's funny how that works sometimes. I don't know diddly about baseball, but if they had asked my opinion I would have told the Giants not to sign Barry Zito because during his last couple of years with the A's the Angels were knocking him out of the park because he had no velocity and they were used to all of his junk. I could have saved them $126 million. It is not debatable that if they knew then what they know now they wouldn't have signed him. All they had to do is speak to me, a dipstick, and I could have saved them bookoo. Sometimes it is "out of the mouth of babes." Remember the Dutch pilot responsible for one of the biggest airline disasters in history in the Canary Islands was a safety expert. If you live long enough, everyone screws the pooch sooner or later. With that said, I still think Monty is a great coach.

Wonderful Post!

Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    It's funny how that works sometimes. I don't know diddly about baseball, but if they had asked my opinion I would have told the Giants not to sign Barry Zito because during his last couple of years with the A's the Angels were knocking him out of the park because he had no velocity and they were used to all of his junk. I could have saved them $126 million. It is not debatable that if they knew then what they know now they wouldn't have signed him. All they had to do is speak to me, a dipstick, and I could have saved them bookoo. Sometimes it is "out of the mouth of babes." Remember the Dutch pilot responsible for one of the biggest airline disasters in history in the Canary Islands was a safety expert. If you live long enough, everyone screws the pooch sooner or later. With that said, I still think Monty is a great coach.
    A good point, well made.

Still I would bet on Monty's screwing the pooch less often than some of our fellow experts would, if given the opportunity.

True Blue Golden Bear bearister's Avatar
    Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection. Send my credentials to the house of detention.
    Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    A good point, well made.

Still I would bet on Monty's screwing the pooch less often than some of our fellow experts would, if given the opportunity.
    ....and I forgot to add that you can throw me in with the lot that thinks Murray is being handled in a strange manner. Monty seems to have a tolerance for suffering through Brandon's deficiencies but none when it comes to Murray's. If given the opportunity to make a few mistakes before being yanked, I think Murray can be a real asset.

Well, the problem with that analogy is that the baseball people were telling the managing general partner the same damn thing and he got pigheaded stubborn about it and thought he needed to make a splash.

This discussion is more akin to analyzing Zito's mechanics and what he could do to become a .500 pitcher.

You May Have a Point

....and I forgot to add that you can throw me in with the lot that thinks Murray is being handled in a strange manner. Monty seems to have a tolerance for suffering through Brandon's deficiencies but none when it comes to Murray's. If given the opportunity to make a few mistakes before being yanked, I think Murray can be a real asset.
    I tend to sympathize with the use-Murray-instead-of-Smith vantage point.

However, I also can see Monty's perspective (or at least what I think is his perspective). Smith's contributions during the latter part of last year actually added value to the team. So if Brandon can reprise these previous performances, he will help us. With Murray, we are assuming that he will, with more opportunity, add value only glimpses of which we have actually seen.