Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRO Speculation of Negative SI Article

BRO Speculation of Negative SI Article

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1737&t=8745965

Summary : This article is by a writer with a history of bringing down programs. UCLA boosters are supposedly scared. And one poster claims that this article might be enough for UCLA to fire Ben Howland.

Don't know how credible this is but should be interesting to follow.

And now speculation is it's about drug usage.

Let's just hope UCLA stays focused enough for the UW game

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian The Cal Bear View Post
    http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=12&f=1737&t=8745965

Summary : This article is by a writer with a history of bringing down programs. UCLA boosters are supposedly scared. And one poster claims that this article might be enough for UCLA to fire Ben Howland.

Don't know how credible this is but should be interesting to follow.
    Might it be a good excuse to rid themselves of Howland's contract?

Actually m(with some glee) should it turn out to have the ring of truth it might set them back a bit to get one academically oriented SF that would really make our class stellar should we be able to land him.

Cocaine abuse -- bet on it.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Shocking development. College kids smoke weed!

Well, Ben Howland, get your bucket list in order, kiddo.

https://twitter.com/#!/SPORTSbyBROOK...81541270704128

Btw this is not good for the UCLA upset of UW. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Shocking development. College kids smoke weed!

Well, Ben Howland, get your bucket list in order, kiddo.

https://twitter.com/#!/SPORTSbyBROOK...81541270704128

Btw this is not good for the UCLA upset of UW. *sigh*
    I am guessing something more cause it would be almost impossible to spend 6500 words on just the subject of imbibing in some choice product. Can't wait to read on Wednesday AM ;-)

The take is actually more about Howland as an "petty, absentee, diva coach". Oh that is going to make recruiting SOOOOOOOOO much fun ;-)

Come on Zena, our coach is the anti-BH

I actually like their chances against UW on Saturday, the whole "beseiged" emotional sort of thing.

Both Howland's success and failure

could possibly be linked to his closeness with the Pump Brothers, AAU influence peddlers down south whom together, it has been written, select and then funnel talent to Westwood. Looking at the roster this season, you see top talent, but definitely not players that would thrive under Howland's disciplined style of play. I still think he is a good coach who would thrive in a lower profile program where could do his own recruiting. Not saying he is a victim here, but the Pump Brothers were instrumental in getting him to Ucla, primarily with money from Adidas.

RUMOR IS NOW WE HAVE AT LEAST ONE FORMER PLAYER USING METH!!!

We are starting to approach Tosh-like levels if this is as good as the rumors are starting to fly ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    RUMOR IS NOW WE HAVE AT LEAST ONE FORMER PLAYER USING METH!!!

We are starting to approach Tosh-like levels if this is as good as the rumors are starting to fly ;-)
    BTW - if this is true I get a good test of my "UC Faculty Senate(s) have coaches on short rope." Weed is one thing (hell, probably most of the faculty senate used in undergrad and grad) but Meth of Cocaine would be a huge step - especially if there is smoke that Ben knew/should have known and looked the other way

Howland Better at a Lower Profile Program?

Quote Originally Posted by brj1 View Post
    I still think he is a good coach who would thrive in a lower profile program...
    The man was coach when UCLA went to 3 consecutive Final Fours, when his teams were loaded with future NBA talent. The best of that impressive array was even all-NBA caliber, such as Westbrook and Love.

How does success with such talent lead to the notion that UCLA is too high a profile program for him?

Looking at the current UCLA team, I would say that they are simply not talented enough to contend in the conference.

I am aware that many talented players have left UCLA in the years since the Final Four guys. I am no rabid follower of or expert on UCLA, so why this loss of talent occurred, I do not know. Still, from having seen his success at UCLA with really talented players, more talented certainly than the recent defectors, I really don't get this argument.

Quote Originally Posted by south bender View Post
    The man was coach when UCLA went to 3 consecutive Final Fours, when his teams were loaded with future NBA talent. The best of that impressive array was even all-NBA caliber, such as Westbrook and Love.

How does success with such talent lead to the notion that UCLA is too high a profile program for him?

Looking at the current UCLA team, I would say that they are simply not talented enough to contend in the conference.

I am aware that many talented players have left UCLA in the years since the Final Four guys. I am no rabid follower of or expert on UCLA, so why this loss of talent occurred, I do not know. Still, from having seen his success at UCLA with really talented players, more talented certainly than the recent defectors, I really don't get this argument.
    It was just a matter of time.

Howland is not fun to play for and his system is not fun to play in.

Initially, kids looking at UCLA did not know that. He had holdovers from Lavin. He brought in a few under the radar guys. He got to the Final Four, repeatedly. Winning covers anything. It was UCLA and they were winning. Top players wanted to go there.

But eventually the word got out:

Howland is not fun to play for and his system is not fun to play in.

Now they don't even have the winning.

When Howland gets frustrated, he yells. A lot.

Future NBA talent is heading elsewhere.

People say he should just recruit the lunch pail kids, the hard workers, that will buy into his defense first system. The kind of kids that you can find near Pittsburgh or Eastern Michigan.

But not L.A. L.A. kids dream of playing for the Lakers, being the next Kobe Bryant. Top players from around the country will gladly go to L.A. to play for a few years. UCLA has the tradition of Carolina with the glamour of Hollywood.

Howland and his disciplined approach just doesn't fit.
    Last edited by calumnus; 02-28-2012 at 08:12 PM.