Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 184

Thread: Watched a few pre-spring "practices" and....

  1. #1

    Watched a few pre-spring "practices" and....

    I focused on QB. They are just throwing some drills and light 7 on 7, so maybe not much insight. Nevertheless I have a few observations:

    Kline looks physically comparable to the other 5. There doesn't appear to be any physical maturity needed to contribute. He frankly throws the ball better now I thought than the others. Very strong on out routes and deep balls. throws over the middle great. No INTs that i saw in a few days of watching. Arroyo is really spending time with him on the footwork for plays etc. With that said, it seems ZM and AB get collectively about 70% of the 7 on 7 throws and the other 3 get a combined 30%. So he isn't getting the reps yet

    I thought Boehm looks better than the others physically. And throws well too. I liked him better from what I watched than AB. But that is just my opinion from a limited sampling. He seems a really nice looking athlete that should be on the field somewhere.

    ZM throws inconsistently, even just in a light 7 on workout. But I see why coaches can like him - he is very athletic and that shows. The question remains whether he is an athlete with an effective position. Football is an odd sport and the athlete has to fit the position. Especially at QB. I think dual threat QBs only excel when there is chaos on the field. And you don't win in chaos. You win with a well designed and executed game plan. So the fact that a QB runs well is of very little help - it's very low on the list of required attributes. Again, just my opinion.

    One thing struck me when watching. Tedford has a political hand grenade on his hands when setting the depth chart. If he at any time puts Kline or boehm above 4th/5th then he will see transfers. Particularly of hinder and Boehm (if kline jumps him). Both of whom were highly recruited and could maybe play at other programs if not happening here. And AB could still transfer and play at D2 for 2 years if anyone passes him . So he will keep Kline buried until he is 100% sure he is the future. I wouldn't expect to see him on that depth chart higher than last until summer -and certainly not after spring. Kline will be lucky to get snaps in a spring game in my opinion. But tedford may be the kind of guy to give these kids time and a chance to transfer if that is the way it will go. I justnthink its hard to keep 5 scholarship qbs on the roster and happy. We will see.

    anyone see anything different?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by CalGaoTe View Post
    One thing struck me when watching. Tedford has a political hand grenade on his hands when setting the depth chart. If he at any time puts Kline or boehm above 4th/5th then he will see transfers.
    Undoubtedly true; it's always true that if you've got 5 QBs on the roster, #3-5 would probably be better off somewhere else. But seriously, if we lose a guy who gets no snaps and no PT, regardless of his potential, is that such a big loss?

  3. #3
    Thanks for those observations! "Real news" for a change! Maybe now the QB speculation can get a little more focus. I can't complain about 5 good guys trying to earn the starting spot..sounds like the "time bomb" you mention in selecting one might have its trade off -- a decent starting quarterback!

  4. #4
    I'm not sure Arroyo is supposed to helping out
    with informal practices. If he ain't, might not
    want to say too much.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CalGaoTe View Post
    I focused on QB. They are just throwing some drills and light 7 on 7, so maybe not much insight. Nevertheless I have a few observations:

    Kline looks physically comparable to the other 5. There doesn't appear to be any physical maturity needed to contribute. He frankly throws the ball better now I thought than the others. Very strong on out routes and deep balls. throws over the middle great. No INTs that i saw in a few days of watching. Arroyo is really spending time with him on the footwork for plays etc. With that said, it seems ZM and AB get collectively about 70% of the 7 on 7 throws and the other 3 get a combined 30%. So he isn't getting the reps yet

    I thought Boehm looks better than the others physically. And throws well too. I liked him better from what I watched than AB. But that is just my opinion from a limited sampling. He seems a really nice looking athlete that should be on the field somewhere.

    ZM throws inconsistently, even just in a light 7 on workout. But I see why coaches can like him - he is very athletic and that shows. The question remains whether he is an athlete with an effective position. Football is an odd sport and the athlete has to fit the position. Especially at QB. I think dual threat QBs only excel when there is chaos on the field. And you don't win in chaos. You win with a well designed and executed game plan. So the fact that a QB runs well is of very little help - it's very low on the list of required attributes. Again, just my opinion.

    One thing struck me when watching. Tedford has a political hand grenade on his hands when setting the depth chart. If he at any time puts Kline or boehm above 4th/5th then he will see transfers. Particularly of hinder and Boehm (if kline jumps him). Both of whom were highly recruited and could maybe play at other programs if not happening here. And AB could still transfer and play at D2 for 2 years if anyone passes him . So he will keep Kline buried until he is 100% sure he is the future. I wouldn't expect to see him on that depth chart higher than last until summer -and certainly not after spring. Kline will be lucky to get snaps in a spring game in my opinion. But tedford may be the kind of guy to give these kids time and a chance to transfer if that is the way it will go. I justnthink its hard to keep 5 scholarship qbs on the roster and happy. We will see.

    anyone see anything different?
    Kind of a "firm grasp of the obvious" here... of course the #1 and #2 guys from two months ago are still the #1 and #2 guys... the NKOTB is still just that -a kid that has a steep learning curve, and 5 years in the system to go. Since the QB touches that ball on every snap, coaches are extremely reluctant to change a consistency there - especially when there has been some success and there is potential for more. Odds are that one or both of the #3 or #4 guys leave after the spring... unless injuries occur.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CalGaoTe View Post
    I think dual threat QBs only excel when there is chaos on the field. And you don't win in chaos. You win with a well designed and executed game plan. So the fact that a QB runs well is of very little help - it's very low on the list of required attributes. Again, just my opinion.
    I don't follow your logic here. It sounds like you're saying you can't create a well designed and executed game plan around a dual threat QB? That's poppycock!

  7. #7
    He should not, and I repeat this wholeheartedly [and have for months], NOT start Kline, under ANY circumstances this year.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CalGaoTe View Post
    I focused on QB. They are just throwing some drills and light 7 on 7, so maybe not much insight. Nevertheless I have a few observations:

    Kline looks physically comparable to the other 5. There doesn't appear to be any physical maturity needed to contribute. He frankly throws the ball better now I thought than the others. Very strong on out routes and deep balls. throws over the middle great. No INTs that i saw in a few days of watching. Arroyo is really spending time with him on the footwork for plays etc. With that said, it seems ZM and AB get collectively about 70% of the 7 on 7 throws and the other 3 get a combined 30%. So he isn't getting the reps yet

    I thought Boehm looks better than the others physically. And throws well too. I liked him better from what I watched than AB. But that is just my opinion from a limited sampling. He seems a really nice looking athlete that should be on the field somewhere.

    ZM throws inconsistently, even just in a light 7 on workout. But I see why coaches can like him - he is very athletic and that shows. The question remains whether he is an athlete with an effective position. Football is an odd sport and the athlete has to fit the position. Especially at QB. I think dual threat QBs only excel when there is chaos on the field. And you don't win in chaos. You win with a well designed and executed game plan. So the fact that a QB runs well is of very little help - it's very low on the list of required attributes. Again, just my opinion.

    One thing struck me when watching. Tedford has a political hand grenade on his hands when setting the depth chart. If he at any time puts Kline or boehm above 4th/5th then he will see transfers. Particularly of hinder and Boehm (if kline jumps him). Both of whom were highly recruited and could maybe play at other programs if not happening here. And AB could still transfer and play at D2 for 2 years if anyone passes him . So he will keep Kline buried until he is 100% sure he is the future. I wouldn't expect to see him on that depth chart higher than last until summer -and certainly not after spring. Kline will be lucky to get snaps in a spring game in my opinion. But tedford may be the kind of guy to give these kids time and a chance to transfer if that is the way it will go. I justnthink its hard to keep 5 scholarship qbs on the roster and happy. We will see.

    anyone see anything different?
    Thanks for the report. I'm not so worried about the proverbial "political handgrenade." I feel all the QBs have been in the program for a couple years now and have had their chances to excel. If they can't beat out a freshman, albeit highly touted, then they should consider transferring to a place where they could play. Pac 12 football is no small potatoes and the best man to help us win should be playing ...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueAndGold View Post
    He should not, and I repeat this wholeheartedly [and have for months], NOT start Kline, under ANY circumstances this year.
    Why not? He came in early specifically to soften the transition, get bigger and stronger and compete for a starting job. What's the point of coming in early if you're going to sit out a year anyways. If the kid is more talented and prepared to, why shouldn't he play?

    I, for one, want to see how good KA could be with an accurate QB throwing to him.

  10. #10
    Nice report CGT. Boehm really intrigues me. If Kline's the future at QB (which I'm admittedly speculating on), I wonder if there's a snowball's chance...that Boehm would consider moving to another position. His athleticism has always impressed me, and he's the type of athlete that can sometimes transition to a different position (TE, S, H back.)
    That being said, I'd imagine that Boehm has no plans of changing positions. It sounds like he may have the skills to start somewhere, maybe even here.
    Also, I agree that it will be interesting to see how Tedford handles the QB situation over the next 6 months as there's a lot of cows in the barn.
    Last edited by Aggie Bear; 02-29-2012 at 10:41 AM.

  11. #11
    why wouldnt you want to play kline if he is clearly better than all the others? but thats the only instance that kline should play over the others, is if he is clearly better. if its a toss up then he should blueshirt

  12. #12
    If he's the best player, I'd be for playing him. I'm not sure anyone would be better for Allen than ZM though. They had some pretty awesome chemistry last year. ZM improved quite a bit. I really don't see how anyone starts ahead of ZM this year. He's proven he can do it, but not consistently. I'd just throw the number 2 guy in whenever ZM struggles. If the 2 guy does better, make him the 1 guy. Simple as that. You aren't going to be able to tell from spring or fall practice. You don't really know about a guy until the lights go on and you're playing good competition.

  13. #13
    Loyal Bear Bobodeluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yellow is BooBoo
    Posts
    2,869

    Everything depends on the offensive line?

    If Tedford continues to run limited plays because he cannot trust the protection, an experienced, mature quarterback with "escapeability" will play. If the line can do a good job, then other quarterback options are available. If the o line is worse than last year, a winning record is in doubt.

  14. #14
    CalGaoTe, thanks for the report.

    If Kline outperforms those in front of him, good for him. I'm not expecting him to start next year though. I'd be extremely impressed if he moved up to #3 on the depth chart.

    If I remember right, Tedford gave Maynard the nod because of his mobility and our suspect O-line last year. I don't want to say thats the only reason, but I think whoever starts next year will be agreat indicator of how he grades our line.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobodeluxe View Post
    If Tedford continues to run limited plays because he cannot trust the protection, an experienced, mature quarterback with "escapeability" will play. If the line can do a good job, then other quarterback options are available. If the o line is worse than last year, a winning record is in doubt.
    Really? The o-line will be much improved over last year... a FULL year in the system with Coach M and a FULL year in the weightroom with Coach Blasquez...

    As for Kline playing... he would have to complete EVERY pass he throws in practice... never fumble, always make the right reads, and demostrate a complete grasp of the offense in order to play as a true freshman... I just don't see the need to rush him if he is really that special... again, he has ONLY played against HS kids... 95% of which will never play football once they graduate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •