Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monty say anything interesting on the post game radio?

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bearister View Post
    The SI piece would also reveal that Kravish has a tribal tattoo covering his chest, a dragon tattoo on his back, that he has bullied and physically injured most of his teammates during practice, and that he took a dump on his roommate's laundry.
    That Kravish is such a douchebag.

Quote Originally Posted by BTownsend View Post
    What could he really say, other than we played like s**t? I'm surprised that we didn't lose that game by 15 to 20. The effort level was nowhere near what it needed to be to win that game. Several times during the 2nd half, I said outloud "Does the team realize that a conference championship is on the line"? We can lose to anyone, and yes, I'm including Utah and USC, with another effort like that in the tourney.
    This is ridiculous. The effort was outstanding. Kamp's effort, in particular, was absolutely heroic. Too bad Solomon became ineligible and Kravish had to play a year or two before he was ready. Also unfortunate the Jorge lost his shooting touch at the end of the year, but that is no one's fault.

Stanford has way better players. Give Monty those guys and Cal runs away with the conference. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at Monty for not recruiting better.

Sluggo

CalBeast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesaxe View Post
    The problem is basically inability to really play one on one basketball.
    That's one of the problems and one of the reasons why teams that pressure our guys on the perimeter have so much success doing it. Cobbs may someday be a guy who beats guys in those situations. Crabbe never will. Hopefully Kreklow and Wallace bring something in that department next year.

Cobbs played a very disappointing game today and he's the one guy who might be able to do that.
    He has a lot of room to grow in his game in terms of playing smart and being a more consistent shooter.

The defense is where we lost it, not the offense.
    It was both, but especially the defense. Their guards got into the paint whenever they wanted to and our bigs got outplayed on both ends. It's frankly astonishing that it was even close enough to be blown at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesaxe View Post
    The problem is basically inability to really play one on one basketball. I love these guys, but we aren't very athletic and you need someone who can break down a defense to run that 1-4. Cobbs played a very disappointing game today and he's the one guy who might be able to do that.

The defense is where we lost it, not the offense.
    The problems with the defense are the same as on the offense. Lack of athleticism and no one at the 5 position who belongs on the court. Plus the big 4 have to play virtually the whole game and adjust to the nearly random officiating. I don't think there is a fix other than recruiting better players.

Sluggo

Quote Originally Posted by Golden One View Post
    "What Monty did say is that we were not good enough. Not playing as well defensively as a team needs to win a tough game. Giving up offensive rebounds and turning the ball over are not going to get it done. Basically said you need to perform and we did not perform well enough to win."

That pretty well sums it up. The Cal team that played tonight and against Colorado did not deserve the Pac-12 championship. It's that simple.
    I am disappointed in the team's reaction to physical play. It takes them out of their game, and if they do come around to fighting back it's usually too late in the game.

They are going to see more physical play in the NCAA tourney, assuming they make it.

We need a couple of bangers who can move their feet a bit, and more speed.

Well... we have skinny guys who aren't physical. Agree with many others that the best way to fix this is to recruit some physical and athletic players. Our one physical player generally played without composure, so that's not a solution in itself. Plus our guys can't afford to play physical enough defense (like Stanfurd's 10 man rotation) because we can't afford to get in foul trouble. See above.

I kind of disagree. The defense was much worse in the Colorado game. That may not be saying much, but for the most part our effort looked good and they got few points in the paint. They had at least 1 guy with a career game, and shot 47%. I think the pace was pretty high, i.e. I would guess a lot of possessions. The problem was that Jorge and Cobbs did not get good shots, which in part was due to their defense (especially in the first half), and in part due to poor decisions.

I think we lost this game with our composure in the first 12 minutes of the game, rather than effort or reffing or any of the other things that are being blamed most frequently here.

Quote Originally Posted by saltybear View Post
    Well... we have skinny guys who aren't physical. Agree with many others that the best way to fix this is to recruit some physical and athletic players. Our one physical player generally played without composure, so that's not a solution in itself. Plus our guys can't afford to play physical enough defense (like Stanfurd's 10 man rotation) because we can't afford to get in foul trouble. See above.
    Truth truth truth

And there's no real solution once the season starts.

Wow, it appears that you and I watched different games yesterday. The effort was absolutely outstanding when our guys didn't even move to secure defensive rebounds, hoping that the ball would somehow fall into their hands...guess what, it didn't. Stanford played harder than we did and acted like THEY were the team playing for the conference championship.

The effort was there. The poise was not.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltownie View Post
    Good god. Drop a pill. They are kids.

What is distrubing is the same thing that Monty said in the post-game presser - that this team has a hard time when teams get really physical against them. Seen it now several times.

Do any of the self proclaimed GUrus on BI know what the counter is? I mean you can't just retaliate with a short bench so what do you do when they are mugging you on the side and overplaying on the perimeter? Try to clear out and isolate by doing a 1 and 4 flat?
    They played hard, but not in control. Teams that can bang us, because they're deep, and also have some quickness, have given us trouble all year, because they get us out of what we want to do as a team, and this group just does not have enough superior athletes to get the job done outside of the team concept. We just don't quite have the ability to just impose our will on the opposition. It was disappointing not to be able to do that with the regular season championship on the line, but it is what it is. It does point again to the ability to find players who are more athletic, but can still work within Monty's team concept. Crabbe and Kravish, in particular, really need to get stronger physically in this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    They played hard, but not in control. Teams that can bang us, because they're deep, and also have some quickness, have given us trouble all year, because they get us out of what we want to do as a team, and this group just does not have enough superior athletes to get the job done outside of the team concept. We just don't quite have the ability to just impose our will on the opposition. It was disappointing not to be able to do that with the regular season championship on the line, but it is what it is. It does point again to the ability to find players who are more athletic, but can still work within Monty's team concept. Crabbe and Kravish, in particular, really need to get stronger physically in this off season.
    Crabbe needs to get stronger mentally!!! He needs more mental toughness.

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    Truth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    Truth.
    Nice to have someone else validate that after watching this team 31 times, I have some idea what's going on. By the way, I agree with you that something's wrong with Jorge, although it may be that he's just out of gas, particularly in his legs, and his inability physically to make plays he was making earlier in the year is frustrating him. Also, getting Greenstein's crew was about the worse draw Jorge could have from an officiating standpoint, since that crew tends to call nothing off the ball, and every ticky-tack they see from the on-ball defender.

Really, nothing has changed from game one, in that we've been saying all year that the key was being able to limit Jorge's and Harper's minutes. The interesting thing is that I thought Harper would be the problem, which did not turn out to be the case, because of how well Kravish has played, and the emergence of Thurman to provide quality minutes. By contrast, we ended up thin on the perimeter, because of Smith's difficulties, Rossi's ongoing injury, and Monty's lack of confidence in Murray.
    Last edited by Jeff82; 03-05-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Additional information.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonofafurd View Post
    Truth truth truth

And there's no real solution once the season starts.
    Well, okay, but there IS a solution for any five point loss. Kravish was used too much, as he was worked over again and again on defense, losing rebounds right and left, and missing critical free throws.

Almost none of Jorge's shots came out of the offensive system, they came from ball-hogging and trying stupid shots that just weren't there. Crabbe seems to just be starting to practice his 1-on-1 moves. This he needs to do, but not in the most critical game of the year. Like Jorge, he needed to be patient and come off screens to get his shot. When the offensive system actually WAS run in the first 12 minutes of the game, the guys that were supposed to go down under the net and come out the other side to help the ball handler on the point were always WAY too late, and the ball handler would get double teamed and have to make a tough pass to get out of it. Harper was a turnover machine in the first half. He wasn't ready for a pass, and threw the ball away. He had an outstanding second half. Cobbs was a mess passing the whole game. He was caught in a must-pass or get called for a turnover way too often. And then the defensive glass problems late were awful. Seems like more than five points there, don't you think?