Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: what do you think the chances are?

FingeroftheBear
    ^^^

Yeah or simply bring back the old NCAA rules of no freshmen playing time but give them 4 years of eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by CalReason View Post
    None. A better, more pertinent question might be is there any chance anybody unseats Maynard this spring. The answer, I think, is still NO, and I think the likelihood that he is replaced during the fall camp or into the season is slim even if we assume there is no real improvement from Maynard. For this reason I cannot get too excited about this year. There is nothing worse then heading into a crucial season with a lame-duck pseudo QB.
    I think this depends on how much Tedford and the other coaches go back and review the game film from this season, specifically USC, UCLA and Oregon. Not only was ZM terribly inaccurate, but he continually forced balls to well covered wide outs when rb's and TE's were ignored. ZM's play alone may have been the difference in both the UCLA and SC games, and he killed us against Texas as well. You just cannot continue to play a QB that kills your chances that many times.

Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    what is weight and muscle going to do for his poor quarterbacking ability?
    He'll be willing to take a sack instead of throwing a pick.

I'm glad your such a supportive and positive alum Calreason or whatever your tag is. I'm also glad none of the players read some of this drivel.

Ben Lomond, a small town outside of Santa Cruz in the mountains
    kline will get a fair shot against Maynard and that means he has 0 chance. Because the biggest impediment to Kline's chances is Kline. He suffers from lack of experience and a lack of playbook knowledge. In other words he is right on schedule for a true freshman. If Maynard is bad enough to make Kline look good, then all that does is open the door for Bridgford and possibly Boehm/Hinder. The last thing we want is for Kline to do well enough to burn his redshirt and lose a year of eligibility at a time when he won't see action anyway. I'd rather have Kline in his 5th year than in his 1st. If you want to see an elite 11 QB next year instead of Maynard, root for Bridgeford.

I think pinning all this hope on Kline is derived, in part, from the conclusion that Maynard was the best option out of Maynard, Bridgford, Mansion, Hinder and Boehm last year. If Maynard was the best of those five, there's a real tendency to look to the new guy, thinking Bridgford, Hinder and Boehm couldn't be much better than average. It's a depressing way to look at it but I can see the logic. Of course, this is a year later and players do develop so there's still hope for at least one of the others, I guess.

All of us are looking for somebody at QB who is better than average.

LafayetteBear
    Quote Originally Posted by Boot View Post
    I'm glad your such a supportive and positive alum Calreason or whatever your tag is. I'm also glad none of the players read some of this drivel.
    Boot: I had to guffaw when I read your post. I totally understand where you are coming from. CalReason's post is difficult to read, but in light of the horrible (yes, horrible) QB play we have all had to endure over the last five years, I understand where CalReason is coming from, too.

I don't know what Hinder or Boehm can bring to the table, but I know what Maynard brings to the table, and I am confident that, in any reasonable competition involving QB skills, Kline would blow Maynard's doors off. Frankly, I am tired of waiting to see good QB play from the Cal QB, and would like to see the best QB get the starting nod RIGHT AWAY, whether he is a fifth year senior or a true freshman. That probably will not happen (I can't even imagine what it would take to move JT off his stubborn insistence on playing the incumbent and giving NO ONE else a meaningful number of snaps), but one can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by LafayetteBear View Post
    If it is a legitimate competition, Kline kicks Maynard's butt. Big time.
    This spring?!? What makes you think that?

Lemme guess: You're writing this from a Happy Hour somewhere and your unbelievably "happy".

One of those guys is a legitimate Pac 12 QB. They just have to be. Right?

Maynard is not a good quarterback and he beat out the others.

Kline brings hope and with hope, a bit of excitement. We seem doomed to standard Tedfordian mediocrity otherwise...

True Blue Golden Bear KoreAmBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boot View Post
    Sounds like Yogi.

what is weight and muscle going to do for his poor quarterbacking ability?
    He would stand stronger in the pocket and not go down with an arm tackle. He would get more on his throws getting some power from his upper body and waist (he wouldn't have to snap his head completely just to throw a 20 yard pass to KA like v. Oregon). Could also help his running in shedding some tacklers for daylight. Lots of possibilities. I'm just trying to picture him being good next year, because the way JT is talking, it's just him and Bridgeford and I'm pretty sure it's just him. JT said nothing has changed except it's Kline instead of Mansion. You would think JT would have some new things to say after all went down with Lupoi and all. I mean wouldn't that have rocked his world a little? It sounds like we're gonna do the same kind of things at QB. After reading that part, I was in no mood to read the rest of the article.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreAmBear View Post
    He would stand stronger in the pocket and not go down with an arm tackle. He would get more on his throws getting some power from his upper body and waist (he wouldn't have to snap his head completely just to throw a 20 yard pass to KA like v. Oregon). Could also help his running in shedding some tacklers for daylight. Lots of possibilities. I'm just trying to picture him being good next year, because the way JT is talking, it's just him and Bridgeford and I'm pretty sure it's just him. JT said nothing has changed except it's Kline instead of Mansion. You would think JT would have some new things to say after all went down with Lupoi and all. I mean wouldn't that have rocked his world a little? It sounds like we're gonna do the same kind of things at QB. After reading that part, I was in no mood to read the rest of the article.
    Kline can do all that based on what???? His play against a bunch of high school boys? Ther is no way Kline even suits up this year... let him learn the system, mature, and be ready for the next four years... The other 3 QBs behind Maynard all came to Cal with essentially the same pedigree.... great HIGH SCHOOL quarterbacks... just proves that it is not an automatic progression... lets home that Kline makes the jump - next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Masau80 View Post
    Kline can do all that based on what???? His play against a bunch of high school boys? Ther is no way Kline even suits up this year... let him learn the system, mature, and be ready for the next four years... The other 3 QBs behind Maynard all came to Cal with essentially the same pedigree.... great HIGH SCHOOL quarterbacks... just proves that it is not an automatic progression... lets home that Kline makes the jump - next year.
    Where in my statement does it say that I think Kline should necessarily make the jump? My point is that I would like a development process (I don't care if it's Kline, Maynard, Boehm, Bridgeford, etc.) that is different from the last 8 years. So far it doesn't look like there's anything different. Pick the BEST QB with the best balance of upside and experience. JT has had a penchant for picking the guy who best "manages the huddle." In other words, he likes safe.

Tedford will stick to his ways. I was hoping maybe the last few years and this Lupoi thing would have rocked him a little bit to initiate some changes. It hasn't worked in almost a decade and now it's gonna work? We all hope so but it's deflating because there is a good chance that the same things are gonna happen. JT your job is nearly on the line. Please don't choose safe anymore.

Helmet

"Pick the BEST QB with the best balance of upside and experience. JT has had a penchant for picking the guy who best "manages the huddle."

That is exactly what he is suppose to do... pick the best QB based on upside (performance in practice) and experience (games... maynard is the ONLY one)... and one of the QBs most important attributes is his ability to "manage the huddle."

Elite QBS (AR has spoiled Cal for awhile) are few and far between... That position is more of an unknown that any other in College DI football.... Why do you think every team has 5 QBs on scholarship... to find one that can play... Maynard will be markedly improved this year... if he isn't, then someone will have to step up.. but that won't happen until the season starts.