Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Dirty play by Kidd

Quote Originally Posted by ultramantaro View Post
    How that's not called a flagrant foul is beyond me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZdpWhGWjcg

By J Kidd will always be remembered as a gangbangin wife beater. Loved him against Duke but that was it.
    I'm not a big Kidd fan, mostly because Bozeman ruined that team for me, and whatever other feeling I had for Jason went away with some of his early career antics that you refer to, but your post is a cheap shot. It wasn't called flagrant because he was going for the ball and it didn't appear that he meant to hit Lin. It should have been called flagrant because of the hair pull, and I'm sure if they had seen it they would have called it. I think many here didn't even see it on the replay and I must admit I didn't at first.

The hair pull was a bush league move. Then again, Hardy Nickerson got caught spitting on a guy. Follett head butted a guy whose helmet had come off. Those are two good guys that for whatever reason did something stupid on the field.

It was a foul. It was a bush league foul. Rip him for it if you want to. It's not worthy of dredging up issues he had a million years ago that have nothing to do with the situation.

no bear
    Quote Originally Posted by OaktownBear View Post
    The hair pull was a bush league move. Then again, Hardy Nickerson got caught spitting on a guy. Follett head butted a guy whose helmet had come off. Those are two good guys that for whatever reason did something stupid on the field.

It was a foul. It was a bush league foul. Rip him for it if you want to. It's not worthy of dredging up issues he had a million years ago that have nothing to do with the situation.
    Maybe it's just me but I give more leeway to football players than basketball (keeping in mind this is just a regular season game). Football is much more violent and puts players in a certain mindset, especially at positions like linebacker.

Kidd did not look like he was going for the ball. Plus it's from behind. Pretend for a second that Kidd didn't go to Cal. Would you call it dirty?

Quote Originally Posted by freshfunk View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I give more leeway to football players than basketball (keeping in mind this is just a regular season game). Football is much more violent and puts players in a certain mindset, especially at positions like linebacker.

Kidd did not look like he was going for the ball. Plus it's from behind. Pretend for a second that Kidd didn't go to Cal. Would you call it dirty?
    1. I don't want to go into water that is long since under the bridge, but I truly don't care that Kidd went to Cal. I just don't have any feeling for him whatsoever as a "Cal Guy". I haven't viewed him as a "Cal Guy" since he left.

2. I said it was bush league and I have no problem for ripping him for it. Dirty? Okay, that too. No question. My point in bringing up the football guys is that whether you commit a bush league penalty/foul has little to do with being a gangbangin wifebeater. Heck, guys have done crap like this on the field of play who went on to be preachers or otherwise make it a point to live "moral" lives.

The only issue I had with the original poster was that bringing up allegations of spousal abuse and other activities from over 15 years ago because he commited a bush league foul on the basketball court is really over the top. If he left the "gangbangin wifebeater" comment out of it, I would have agreed wholeheartedly.

SacCityBear
    That was definitely deserving of a flagrant foul, but let's not go overboard. The intent at the beginning of the play was not to hurt Lin. He was going for the ball, missed and whacked Lin's head, then grabbed and pulled on his hair. Obviously, you cannot excuse that action, but that as an act is not so utterly terrible as to label him as a dirty player unless he has made a habit of such acts over his 20 year NBA career. (one domestic abuse incident over a decade ago doesn't count.)

CalBeast
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthebear View Post
    da phuck?
    Internet is full of Asians who want to discuss everything Lin does. There's nothing all that special about this play.

Quote Originally Posted by CalBeast View Post
    Internet is full of Asians who want to discuss everything Lin does. There's nothing all that special about this play.
    So you're not Asian, eh?

CalBeast
    Quote Originally Posted by oobay View Post
    So you're not Asian, eh?
    Nope.

too bad Dirk didn't curbstomp lin when he came down. that is unfortunate

CalBeast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDayTheTreesDied View Post
    too bad Dirk didn't curbstomp lin when he came down. that is unfortunate
    He only does that to Omar Casspi

no bear
    Quote Originally Posted by CalBeast View Post
    Nope.
    Are you half black / half white (a la Jason Kidd)?

CalBeast
    Are you half black / half white (a la Jason Kidd)?
    Wasn't my thread, fool

Kidd did not look like he was going for the ball.
    A laughable assertion: he clearly hit the ball before hitting Lin.

Obviously, the original block/foul wasn't the problem, it was Kidd pulling Lin's head with what appears to be the side of his hand subsequently. As fast as these things happen it is possible it was unintentional, it's impossible to tell. It could have been intentional, it could also have been the continuing motion of his arm finishing the swipe motion he swung at the ball with. In any case it should clearly have been called a flagrant (one).

This kind of stuff happens in the NBA all of the time, it surprises me that it has generated such a big reaction here. Linsensitive, anyone?

LafayetteBear
    Quote Originally Posted by R90 View Post
    Kidd was trying to block the shot with a quick swipe as Lin was going up. He timed it a little late and caught Lin's head.

People are nuts to think he was trying to send a message or trying to rough up Lin.

If Kidd swings a 1/20th of a second earlier it's a great defensive recovery after getting beat off the dribble.
    +1. Totally agree with this. It looked clear to me that Kidd was going for that sideways sweep block of Lin's shot, missed the ball, and just barely caught the top of Lin's head.

I would have no problem calling J Kidd out if I thought he committed a flagrant foul. I just did not see it. But it was a bang bang play.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramantaro View Post
    By J Kidd will always be remembered as a gangbangin wife beater.

"Gangbangin??" Um, no. You must be really, really white.

I remember Jason more as the guy who nailed Hope Dworaczyk over and over. That is one awesome accomplishment.